2013 Ford Focus Transmission - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #71
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
FordCustomerService,

I sent a PM to you and about my issues with the transmission and several others. I hope I can get help. It is getting to the point where I want out of the Focus. I probaly won't keep it past warranty for sure.
Hi danyall2010,

I got your message and will responding shortly. Thank you for reaching out to me; I'm happy to see how I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
Only time will tell for me since I only have 80 miles on my car, but thankfully it hasn't started to act naughty....yet. I hope it stays that way. This was obviously a BIG CONCERN and a major consideration when deciding whether or not to buy the Focus. With the reassurances from Focus owners and Ford Customer Service, I went ahead with the purchase. I rationalized that the TSB'd that have been issued or will continue to be issued will resolve any problems, otherwise, that is what warranties are for. Hopefully, I won't have any issues...but again, only time will tell.
Welcome to the Ford family, Just Tom! I'm so happy you decided to get your FoFo. Remember, if you need anything, I'm just a PM away.

Have a great day, folks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #72
blackhillsken
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104089
What I Drive: 2013 SE Ruby Red hatch

FF Reputation: 1 blackhillsken Good Standing Member
My 2013 SE Hatch DCT has gone through two major personality changes.
The first at 300 miles........... The second at 2000 miles. Under 300 miles, the performance and shifting was not good and I really thought I made a mistake buying the car. After 300 miles, things got much better, but the trans would still randomly buck and shudder although not constantly. Now, after 2000 miles, the trans behaves way better which also makes the low speed performance feel better too. I will be happy if the car continues to perform like it does now. I will say, though, that I would be willing to give up a little gas mileage for better throttle response when the trans should be downshifting more willingly at low road speeds as when rounding a corner @ 10-20 mph, then accelerating. Performance is somewhat vacant there occasionally.
I'm keeping a lookout for tuner options if they are ever available.
Overall, after reading all the 2012 posts, I'm glad I waited for 2013.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #73
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsken View Post
My 2013 SE Hatch DCT has gone through two major personality changes.
The first at 300 miles........... The second at 2000 miles. Under 300 miles, the performance and shifting was not good and I really thought I made a mistake buying the car. After 300 miles, things got much better, but the trans would still randomly buck and shudder although not constantly. Now, after 2000 miles, the trans behaves way better which also makes the low speed performance feel better too. I will be happy if the car continues to perform like it does now. I will say, though, that I would be willing to give up a little gas mileage for better throttle response when the trans should be downshifting more willingly at low road speeds as when rounding a corner @ 10-20 mph, then accelerating. Performance is somewhat vacant there occasionally.
I'm keeping a lookout for tuner options if they are ever available.
Overall, after reading all the 2012 posts, I'm glad I waited for 2013.
My car's DCT behaves just as yours and has a build date of May 25 2012.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #74
LandIT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101371
What I Drive: 2011 Red Titanium Focus Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 LandIT Good Standing Member
Performance lacking

Quote:
...I would be willing to give up a little gas mileage for better throttle response when the trans should be downshifting more willingly at low road speeds as when rounding a corner @ 10-20 mph, then accelerating. Performance is somewhat vacant there occasionally.
I very much agree with that.
Putting the shift in Sports mode doesn't change the driving experience in this situation either.
However, turning driver assist (anti-skid) off seems to help just a little.

I'd sign something if Ford could give me the option to get it to shift down earlier and sacrifice the economy guarantee. It would be a much, so much better car to drive and I believe it would only take a few hundred revs difference to do it. (You can force it, by stabbing the accelerator somewhat.)

Is there going to be another transmission software update - its over six months now???
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #75
fordblue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97078
What I Drive: used to drive 2012 focus w/dct

FF Reputation: 1 fordblue Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi danyall2010,

I got your message and will responding shortly. Thank you for reaching out to me; I'm happy to see how I can help.

Welcome to the Ford family, Just Tom! I'm so happy you decided to get your FoFo. Remember, if you need anything, I'm just a PM away.

Have a great day, folks!
Crystal
A disfunctional family.....................
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #76
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
... I will say, though, that I would be willing to give up a little gas mileage for better throttle response when the trans should be downshifting more willingly at low road speeds as when rounding a corner @ 10-20 mph, then accelerating. Performance is somewhat vacant there occasionally...
I'd say a K&N drop in air filter will greatly improve the throttle response. Using 91 or 93 fuel will help even more the acceleration. I say these because this is what I have/use in my car and frankly, it is a blast to drive my Focus.
And yes, it is built in August 2011 but never had problems with the DCT due to Ford's built. Only because not-that-trained Ford dealers' technicians performed an update for the DCT programming. But the problem was solved by changing the shop. So I am more than happy with my Focus !
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #77
stiracer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95472
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus 5 dr.

FF Reputation: 1 stiracer Good Standing Member
Hasn't anyone the same problem I do. The DCT works OK in diive but when changing to S and self shifting it skips 2nd gear almost always and shifts out of third at 4000 or so with the throttle held wide open. When taking my service tech for a ride he is the one who noticed this problem. He stated he will contact Ford and to see what can be done. If nothing he will write an engineering report that goes back directly to Ford.

After driving it like I stole it, (Told to do by my service tech) and self shifting most of the time it has not improved. My analysis is as follows: although it shows S3 when shifing out of 1 it is really in second but selected 3 already to which it shifts into at or near redline. When holding 3 it shifts out at 4000 plus minus 200rpms.

Mileage 10,480, Avg mileage since new 32.6 mostly suburbia driving with one trip long distance. Two drivers wife 69+years young and primary driver me 67+. Three racing licenses. Logged over 2,000,000 miles since starting to drive at 17.0 years. I hope Ford can sort out the problem. I believe it is software and not hardware.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #78
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
got the 5 speed on both a 12 and on the 13 I just traded up to. Its an absolute pleasure, VERY slick box. I had some hesitations about a missing 6th but there is just no need for it...I get great mileage and can break high 30's/40mpg on highway (alone of course), and I already need to downshift to 4th to pass so 6th would be redundant. Plus this car makes no power on the low end so unless your a chronic lugger, its pointless.

Best of all no low speed stumbling or clutch failures! No annoyances with gear changes! I am so happy with this decision after reading COUNTLESS complaints from a select group of DCT owners, but I wish yall the best anyways
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #79
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
got the 5 speed on both a 12 and on the 13 I just traded up to. Its an absolute pleasure, VERY slick box. I had some hesitations about a missing 6th but there is just no need for it...I get great mileage and can break high 30's/40mpg on highway (alone of course), and I already need to downshift to 4th to pass so 6th would be redundant. Plus this car makes no power on the low end so unless your a chronic lugger, its pointless.

Best of all no low speed stumbling or clutch failures! No annoyances with gear changes! I am so happy with this decision after reading COUNTLESS complaints from a select group of DCT owners, but I wish yall the best anyways
If you have to downshift just to make a pass than you must be doing something wrong, the car will pull smoothly in top gear if you give it enough forethought to plan out your passing maneuvers, although if you really want to see something amazing the DCT will pull off flawless and swift 6-3 downshifts if you do decide to floor it just to bring the engine on boil.

There is a definite need for a 6th gear for me, I am done with suffering the drone of a four cylinder thrashing its guts out just to do 70 mph at over 3000 rpm. That was one of the chief reasons why I disliked my old car, although that might have been partially due to the exhaust system resonance with no catalyst, but it was so loud and unpleasant after the 50 + miles each way to work that it gave me a headache.

The Focus is a touch more civilized than that I agree, however it does weigh close to if not more than 589 lbs more than the old car did. All that extra bulk means more inertia to over come from a stop.

No one is lugging this engine unless they were some how able to keep it below 1250 rpm all the time. The only times it ever gets that low apart from idling or crawling in first or second at 5 mph is on coast down right before the next gear change.

Your clutch will still fail, as it is a wear component just like a brake pad or rotor, it just depends on how you drive it. A skilled driver may get more than the 150k service life rated for the DCT clutch out of a manual, but a poor driver could kill it in well under 36k miles. Most of the so called clutch failures on the DCT haven't really been caused by the clutch initially at all. Most of the problems have been due to the input shaft seals at the transmission leaking oil onto the clutch contaminating it, and in a lesser known quantity the rear main seal from the engine spewing oil on it.

In order for my old car which was a lot lighter to break 40 mph on the highway I had to stick to below 60-65 mph. The best it ever did was 45 at 55 mph.

I've gotten 42.1 mpg at 65 mph with the benefit of that "useless" 6th gear with a car load of passengers and overnight bags over 470.1 miles and 11.176 gallons of gasoline. That included starting and stopping the car in town at both ends of the trip, the run to the hotel and to breakfast the next day, etc. I had to have close to 500 or more lbs of extra people/ cargo than usual and still did better at higher speeds than I ever did in the old car at the same speeds.

That's with the hatch which is less aerodynamic than the sedan by a few clicks.

Oh and that thing you were saying about how the ST is geared so much shorter isn't strictly accurate as the MMT6 has a split final drive just like the DCT.

That means the 0.943:1 6th gear ratio multiplied by the 2.955:1 final drive gives an effective gear ratio of 2.786:1 which is just a tiny fraction shorter than the 0.702:1 6th gear * 3.85:1 final drive in the DCT with an effective 6th gear ratio of 2.7027 at the wheels. That's a mere 3.08% shorter effective gearing with 93 more horse power behind it.

Quote:
TRANSMISSION
Standard Six-speed manual
Gear ratios
1st 3.231
2nd 1.952
3rd 1.321
4th 1.029
5th 1.129
6th 0.943
Reverse 4.600
Final drive 4.063/2.955
http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2...usST_Specs.pdf
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #80
drdab99
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107107
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue Ti

FF Reputation: 2 drdab99 Good Standing Member
I've only had my Ti 13 (with handling package) for a couple of weeks. It has a build date of 11/2/13. I've put about 600 miles on it. First impressions - best and most fun car for the money that I've ever driven. The DCT has been perfect.

I'm hoping that since this is a very recent build it means that Ford has really figured it out because so far I am very happy.

Bookmarks & Social Networks