Revs staying high before idling correctly. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #11
FocusGhia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94579
What I Drive: 2001 Ghia 1.6

FF Reputation: 3 FocusGhia Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
steve when driving normally do the revs appear to "hang" or take time to return to normal idle (around 850rpm) when clutch is depressed and also coming to a full stop?

In any case it sounds like an "unmetered air" problem. Check your PCV hose (behind intake manifold on 1.6) isn't collapsing. Also check the pipe to your purge/charcoal cannister (long black plastic pipe running across the top and rear of your engine cover from under your throttle body to the cannister on the drivers side firewall).

Heres a code reader/reset tool I invested in. Saves paying a garage 50 just to check a code. Obviously wont be as accurate as the Snap Ons etc for pin pointing fault but for DIY its great. Example is from Amazon but shop around ebay and there cheap as chips!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAN-Bus-Trou...5580833&sr=8-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
steveplatt28
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107192
What I Drive: 2001 Dark Blue 1.6cl focus

FF Reputation: 1 steveplatt28 Good Standing Member
put car into local diagnostics centre which came up with no fault codes. upon further investigation they found that no's 1 and 4 spark plugs were arching. all 4 replaced and all was well.......... until this morning when started up having not used it all weekend back to bad running although it now idles perfectly. the problem seems to be when its under load, if you feather the throttle its fine, as soon as you give it too much throttle it hesitates and judders. also engine light was flashing and then gone out again!! dont cars do your head in?

would agree with your unmetered air solution so if problem re-accures with idling that will be my first port of call.

Many thanks steve
Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
steveplatt28
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107192
What I Drive: 2001 Dark Blue 1.6cl focus

FF Reputation: 1 steveplatt28 Good Standing Member
3rd time lucky

hoooorah! car came back from another stint at the garage today and after putting back on the diagnostics it came up with a misfire on cylinder 2. it was tracked down to the new coil pack that turns out to be faulty. weather i was just v unlucky with the one i bought or there is something else knocking the coil out we will have to wait and see.

all the leads and plugs have also been replaced as advised so fingers crossed it will be ok.

Many Thanks to everybody that has posted.

Steve

Bookmarks & Social Networks