Upgrading Footwell/Cupholder Lighting - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95564
What I Drive: '08 Vermillion Red 5 speed SEdan

FF Reputation: 5 DarderSauce Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Lightbulb Upgrading Footwell/Cupholder Lighting

So I have been throwing an idea around, just putting out a feeler to see if anyone has any additional information before I try to make it work. My focus did not come with cup or foot well lights like the 2009+ SES's but I noticed when I had my center counsel off that I have an unused plugin near the passengers feet. I would take the center counsel out to show you the plugin but it's a whopping 4 degrees out so this is the best I can do. The green square is the area with the plugin

Light by DarderSauce, on Flickr

Just wondering if anyone with factory cup/foot well lighting can tell me where the power supply for the lights comes from? If the plug I am thinking of is the power, all I would need to make the upgrade work is a new info center control switch for the lighting and Traction control, and a center counsel that has the LED's in it. I know there are cheaper ways to do it (installing aftermarket LED's) but I like the way the factory lighting looks.

Let me know what you guys think. As always, helpful information is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

BTW, this is the switch to control the TC and lighting I was talking about. Anyone know the actual name for this?

Switch by DarderSauce, on Flickr
Old 12-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
VonKrause
Unicorn Owner

Fan#: 72283
What I Drive: 2009 Ice Blue 5 speed 4 door FoFo

FF Reputation: 7 VonKrause Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I was actually talking to someone at work about this today, Creepy. Anyway, he says that the plug you are talking about is indeed for the LEDs in the SEL's and SES's. He has to double check to make sure but this is the guy that rebuilds and sells focus', same guy I got my headliner and black interior from. He just picked up an SEL to work on and is going to check it out and let me know, and once I know I'll let you know. Provided you don't find out before hand, and if you do, tell me.
SR #233
Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

That is creepy. But ya I will let you know if I find out. Kinda wondering if upgrading the lighting would be worth the ~$150 (estimate).
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Dukttape
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94135
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE Sedan "Fiona"

FF Reputation: 1 Dukttape Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've also been looking at doing this myself but haven't found an OEM set anywhere. Where did you find an OEM set-up? Install wouldn't be an issue I've pulled the center console out twice now and will probably pull it again this spring.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
DarderSauce
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukttape View Post
I've also been looking at doing this myself but haven't found an OEM set anywhere. Where did you find an OEM set-up? Install wouldn't be an issue I've pulled the center console out twice now and will probably pull it again this spring.

There is a salvage yard near my house that just so happens to have a few MKII's in their parts yard, I will go talk to them next week sometime.

They also have 1 with leather seats, if they are heated I might get a price on those too. But with leater interior I would need to swap out the door panels which is no big deal.

Next Question
Do seats with heating elements hook up to the same harness the cloth seats use?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
$35 on amazon and you get more control over colors patterns and speed of color change. Many of us here on the forum have this kit. Its very easy to install and looks clean and like it came in the car like the oem one. Here is your link:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-Co...s=led+dash+kit
Galatians 6:14
Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Snyper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96688
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE

FF Reputation: 2 Snyper Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
$35 on amazon and you get more control over colors patterns and speed of color change. Many of us here on the forum have this kit. Its very easy to install and looks clean and like it came in the car like the oem one. Here is your link:
http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-Co...s=led+dash+kit

That's the kit I'll be ordering soon.
I've found the OEM kit on eBay for $250 at times, but that's just a waste of money.
I'm going to look for this plug in down near the passenger feet because I've never seen it in my car, and I've pulled my center console out two times, but I wasn't actively looking for a plug in there. Even if you get the Amazon kit listed, you'd still need a harness to plug it in and the new 3 button 'piece' that I do not know the name for.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
crice8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84830
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Gray Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 crice8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
That's the kit I'll be ordering soon.
I've found the OEM kit on eBay for $250 at times, but that's just a waste of money.
I'm going to look for this plug in down near the passenger feet because I've never seen it in my car, and I've pulled my center console out two times, but I wasn't actively looking for a plug in there. Even if you get the Amazon kit listed, you'd still need a harness to plug it in and the new 3 button 'piece' that I do not know the name for.
No additional harness is required With the Amazon kit. You simply splice into a power wire since the 3 button panel that comes with has an independent power button. Then just connect the ground wire to a body panel bolt anywhere in the dash.
Galatians 6:14
Old 12-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Snyper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96688
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE

FF Reputation: 2 Snyper Good Standing Member
But what if you were planning on using this extra plug in that darder talks about? I briefly looked a minute ago and didn't find it.

I plan on using an add-a-fuse for mine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->