This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #41
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yep, probably the tires. I had a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's that still look good, treadwise (1/2 gone). But, the traction really diminished to being worse than an all-season, so they were replaced.

I have General Altimax Arctics on my '12 and it goes very well. The TC light flashes a bit when you're just starting off, but it doesn't seem to kill the engine power dramatically. Alas, I can't disable that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #42
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 frosted glass SEL '67 Gal vert.

FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
This is the first year for me on snow with this car. Very wet snow with an underlay of slush/ice. at first it did activate the tcs and abs getting rolling but after that was ok. In the parking lot behind my place it started acting up again. I have a very steep ramp with no way to get a rolling start up it and there was no way the car was going to go, the tcs was kicking in and robbing all the power. I turned off the traction control and the tires spun but the car did get up the ramp. This was with the stock 17" tires and DCT. I was impressed it made it up. My old 4x4 ranger with new tires wouldn't go up this incline without the 4x4 being engaged so for the Focus to be able to says a lot. Every car needs to be driven a bit in all the different conditions to find out it's limits and how to work with what you have. After that you will know how good or bad it is. At first blush, I thought the car was pretty bad in the snow but after getting to know it's quirks I think it is fine and better than some I've owned.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #43
wolfwyndd
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 73506
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 wolfwyndd Good Standing Member
I'm sorry you had such a horrid experience. If it's any consilation, I used to have an 04 Focus Sedan I thought was a piece of CRAP in snow. Even with new tires I had nothing but issues. Now that I've said that, I had just the OPPOSITE experience with my 03 Focus ZX3 yesterday. The rear tires are new and the front tires are (almost) shot and need to be replaced soon (front and back are both fuzion hri). I had (almost) no issues going through the 1 - 3 inches of snow on the road that the snow plow hadn't completely cleared. I was actually terrified that it was going to have the same issues. Happily, I did not. Maybe there's a difference with the model type?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #44
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrigan View Post
Time to look into some new tires for it. I have some Hankooks on 17" wheels. They handle very well.

Snapped those before work.

Sent from your mom's house.
Are those scratches or just dirt? I'm worried these painted wheels get scratched by snow and ice and plan to plasti dip them.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #45
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
I think that they would be fine , dip would definatly protect them well though

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using FF Mobile
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
Are those scratches or just dirt? I'm worried these painted wheels get scratched by snow and ice and plan to plasti dip them.
Just dirt. I've done double takes on the wheels and fenders a few times. Stupid dirty winter.

Sonics MK3 Crew #21
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #47
Joey D
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86391
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium 5-Dr

FF Reputation: 2 Joey D Good Standing Member
I have Michelin Alpin PA3's on my car and it's fine in the snow. I drove through about 5" of it last night, the car never flinched once. We got the same car, right down to the color too, so it's gotta be something that's up with your tires.

Without winter tires the car was a bit of joke I'll admit, but I only had to endure one snowfall without them so it wasn't a big deal.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #48
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
First snow of the year and the car was pretty much immobilized. I have Michelin Alpin snow tires and this car was pretty much stopped in an inch of snow . Could not make it up a slight grade. Got so bad I had to shut the traction control off. It's a bit of a weapon. I barely make it through an intersection before the light goes red. Not impressed.
Someone in TO can't make it through an inch of snow -- time to call out the army
Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #49
Merrigan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 104581
What I Drive: 2013 Black SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Merrigan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Someone in TO can't make it through an inch of snow -- time to call out the army
There's the joke I was gonna make a page back. To be honest I'm surprised it took so long to happen.

Sonics MK3 Crew #21
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #50
cheekedave
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103448
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Silver

FF Reputation: 1 cheekedave Good Standing Member
Well hey, if we shut down so does the rest of the country, right? :)

But anyway, it all also depends on the driver, of course. I got away fine with the oe 17"s here and did not have one problem. Even out performed SUV's fishtailing around corners. woot.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->