2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 24 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #231
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
...I知 not getting my hopes up, but it seems the transmission relearn is somewhat working....
sdwcam01,

I want to be sure this is resolved for you; please see your inbox for my message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87astro View Post
Heading into the dealer first thing in the morning to get the transmission reprogrammed...if they don't get it fixed tomorrow morning, I will then utilize the Ford Customer Service Rep here on the forums
I知 checking on you after the dealer visit, 87astro; please don稚 hesitate to get in touch with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
...I tried to ignore it for a long time, but it's gotten worse and since the weather turned cold again...
Tarzanalog,

I知 available to escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. For me to do this, PM me with the vehicle details (please include your VIN, full name, phone number, mileage, and dealer name/state).

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
Update: With over 1k miles done since the reapir, it is fair to say the clutch seal and clutch replacement have pretty much completely fixed the rough shifting between 1st and 2nd as well as that horrible grinding noise. However.....There is now a subtle noise that seems to be getting slowly more persistent...the noise is now consistent enough that I will drop the car off on Wednesday, with New Years and all...
It痴 great news about the shifting, middie8; I知 confident your dealer will take care of you.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #232
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94513
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tarzanalog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Are you sure that many people have had "the throwout bearing" replaced?
I don't know about "many people" but my throwout bearing failed after the first 500 miles and essentially "burned out the clutch" requiring the replacement of both at around 750 mi.

IMHO - My Focus was (and still is) experiencing the same grinding issues that everyone's has... except that my throwout bearing was a weaker link than most and really caused it go to hell faster than normal. But since then I've been in the same boat as everyone else.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #233
Tarzanalog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94513
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tarzanalog Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Tarzanalog,

I’m available to escalate this up to your regional customer service manager. For me to do this, PM me with the vehicle details (please include your VIN, full name, phone number, mileage, and dealer name/state).

Cory
Cory - Thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait to see what the dealership has tried this time (if anything) re: the transmission before asking for your help. Thanks - T
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #234
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanalog View Post
Cory - Thanks for the quick reply. I'll wait to see what the dealership has tried this time (if anything) re: the transmission before asking for your help. Thanks - T
You got it, Tarzanalog.

Cory

Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #235
middie8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45082
FF Reputation: 1 middie8 Good Standing Member
Well maybe not "many people". Just saying it could be a possible source for the subtle noise I am hearing now (Not the grinding noise I was hearing before my seals and clutch were replaced). This noise is quieter than the severe grinding I was hearing before; probably why I just started to notice it). Hopefully I can get a better answer after Wednesday when I drop the car off to get it looked at and hopefully fixed (fingers crossed).
Old 12-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #236
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
The Ford owners manual states:

Quote:
TRANSMISSION FLUID
Checking 6-speed automatic transmission fluid
The automatic transmission does not have a transmission fluid dipstick.
Refer to your scheduled maintenance information for scheduled
intervals for fluid checks and changes. Your transmission does not
consume fluid. However, the fluid level should be checked if the
transmission is not working properly, (i.e., if the transmission slips or
shifts slowly) or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage.
Transmission fluid should be checked by an authorized dealer. If
required, fluid should be added by an authorized dealer.

Do not use supplemental transmission fluid additives, treatments or
cleaning agents. The use of these materials may affect transmission
operation and result in damage to internal transmission components.

Checking and adding manual transmission fluid (if equipped)
1. Clean the filler plug.
2. Remove the filler plug and
inspect the fluid level.
3. Fluid level should be at the
bottom of the opening.
4. Add enough fluid through the
filler opening so that the fluid level
is at the bottom of the opening.
5. Install and tighten the fill plug
securely.
Use only fluid that meets Ford specifications. Refer to the Maintenance
product specifications and capacities
section in this chapter
..."However, the fluid level should be checked if the transmission is not working properly, (i.e., if the transmission slips or shifts slowly) or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage."

I'm no authorized dealer, but is there a way I can check the transmission fluid level on my car - since the dealer clearly won't.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #237
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
...Hopefully I can get a better answer after Wednesday when I drop the car off to get it looked at and hopefully fixed (fingers crossed).
middie8,

Please keep me in the loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
...I'm no authorized dealer, but is there a way I can check the transmission fluid level on my car...
No, PratoN. The automatic transmission fluid should be checked by a Ford dealer, like it says in the section of the Owner Guide you quoted. Drop me a line and I値l lend a hand.

BTW, the quote was from the 2012MY Focus Owner Guide 5th Printing on page 366, for those interested. You can grab a free copy by going to this link:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Cory

Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #238
rrogan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93161
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 rrogan Good Standing Member
Well I just started hearing the grinding noise during gear shifts as mentioned here. It became apparent after driving long distances as others have mentioned as well. It doesn't happen too frequently right now, but I'm assuming it will occur more as time goes on. My car is at about 15,000 miles now and I've had a few TSB updates performed already. When I was home this past week, my Dad actually commented on how jerky the gear shifts were in lower gears, and this was right before I started hearing the grinding noises. From the people that have gone through this already, what do you think the best way to get this looked at/addressed would be? Bring it to the dealer first and see what they say? Contact FordCustomerService and go through them right away? I haven't been able to reproduce the noise consistently yet so I don't want to bring it to the dealer if they're just going to laugh it off.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #239
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrogan View Post
Well I just started hearing the grinding noise during gear shifts as mentioned here...

From the people that have gone through this already, what do you think the best way to get this looked at/addressed would be?
May God have mercy on your soul.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #240
gostinger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44867
What I Drive: 2013 SE Black Pack Loaded 5 Spd MTX

FF Reputation: 1 gostinger Good Standing Member
After first initial leak and clutch pack replacement and then a trans hot warning and another replacement this morning like clockwork another expected illumination on the dash Trans too hot again(-10 C here). Does it state in the manual anything about changing clutch packs with every oil change?

Bookmarks & Social Networks