Wheel hop! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-2013) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
JL330
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99616
What I Drive: 2012 silver focus S

FF Reputation: 1 JL330 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
Suspension bushings are part of your suspension.

Wheel hop is 100% suspension related. You can do lots of things that will trick you into believing you have gotten rid of wheel hop, but only adjusting/tuning suspension components will have any real effect.

Tires with stiff sidewalls will succumb to wheel hop at a lower threshold than tires with a soft sidewall. Wheel hop is still possible, but your tires are now soft enough that you won't see it. The caveat to soft sidewalls is less responsive handling.

You can change to a stiffer motor mount which keeps the engine from bucking around under hard acceleration/deceleration. In a low-powered car you might not experience wheel hop after changing the motor mount, but start adding power or change to racier clutch/flywheel and you could be seeing wheel hop again even worse than before.

Wider tires actually will help to prevent wheel hop because the larger footprint keeps the tire from losing grip when the geometry of the suspension changes. The problem here is that if you're running high power and wide sticky tires on a stock suspension, you're going to break something.

The only way to get rid of wheel hop and prevent breakage is to adjust/tune your suspension components properly. Under hard acceleration, wheels on independent axles will pull towards each other so a slight amount of toe-out is beneficial.
(A RWD solid axle car like a Mustang will need aftermarket LCAs to get rid of wheel hop [driver mod helps, too])
My mustang doesn't wheel hop but it has a solid axle, not independent. I just can't hook with it and I want new LCAs to help me hook up better. I've gotten a bit more intense with the modding on my mustang than I ever will on the focus though.

Bookmarks & Social Networks