This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #21
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
Ahh, no. I do know how to drive in the snow . After all this is Canada. I had a sunfire on all seasons that was pretty much unstoppable. It is the DCT. 16" snow tires. Im running a used set of tires but they have at least 1/2 the tread life left. Maybe the rubber has gotten a bit hard over the years. Im no white knuckle driver, and snow does not phase me, but it drove like i was on the summer tires. Tread blocks were clean when i stopped so they are throwing snow. If most of you are having no trouble, then its the tires for sure. I just got this car. I had to get rims and tpms sensors, as well as the weathertech floor mats. Well, didnt have to, get those particular mats, but ive ruined enough carpets over the years. I wanted to keep cost down so I was hoping to get two seasons out of the tires. Guess thats not going to happen.
Half of the snow tread life or half of the tread left? Some people dont realize that most snow tires are done once they get to 6/32 and most have wear indicators built in to show you. Once past that and they lose their edge in cutting through and gripping on snow/ice.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint...inter-traction
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...sp?techid=116&

I'd love to be able to say that its probably just you as a driver but you're from Canada and probably arent a stranger to driving in snow. So check out your tires, see if you can see the indicators and if your tires are just worn. My snow tires have plenty of tread on them but are super close to the wear indicators and arent as helpful as they were in previous seasons... As always just take your time and be safe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
nseah
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101824
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 nseah Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Live in Toronto, going through the same snow storm. Stock SEL tires (haven't gotten snow tires yet) and drove on unplowed roads. The TC comes on sometimes and does limit your power but i still passed other civics and corollas on the road. I wouldn't say it's any worst then any other car. Actually the civic driving in front of me with snow tires was fishtailing around and the focus was staying pretty stable, im assuming it's because it's a heavier car. Pretty happy with the winter performance so far.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #23
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Half of the snow tread life or half of the tread left? Some people dont realize that most snow tires are done once they get to 6/32 and most have wear indicators built in to show you. Once past that and they lose their edge in cutting through and gripping on snow/ice.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint...inter-traction
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...sp?techid=116&

I'd love to be able to say that its probably just you as a driver but you're from Canada and probably arent a stranger to driving in snow. So check out your tires, see if you can see the indicators and if your tires are just worn. My snow tires have plenty of tread on them but are super close to the wear indicators and arent as helpful as they were in previous seasons... As always just take your time and be safe!
I have an actual tread guage and acording to that they are at 7/32.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
tdo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2591
What I Drive: '13 Focus Sedan TI Performance Blue

FF Reputation: 1 tdo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
Ehh, it wasn't terribly hairy. I've had much worse experiences driving in Kalamazoo when a normal snow is pretty much 10-12 inches.

Here's a bonus picture of my father getting his 5.0 stuck in his driveway. He made it all the way from Detroit only to get fouled by a slight incline. The guy is nuts.
Snow tires are a Godsend, especially for RWD. I used to drive a Terminator all year in Mid-Michigan. Had some skinny Blizzaks and I could go and stop really well. Just had to turn off the traction control when going up the incline into the parking ramp or I was dead in the water.

I have Firestone snows (I got used, nearly new, with rims, cheap) for the 2002 Focus wagon we drive. Not as good as the Blizzaks, but passable. Even with these, it can get a bit funky out there on packed snow and ice. Can't go crazy.

Just bought some 15" Taurus wheels to put the snow tires on this coming fall for the new Focus (sitting in the driveway until April).
Old 12-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
matt2331
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95294
What I Drive: 2012 Metallic Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 matt2331 Good Standing Member
Yesterday, while making a turn, my Focus under steered wildly in the snow and I hit a curb, bending a wheel. It really isn't very good in the snow
Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2331 View Post
Yesterday, while making a turn, my Focus under steered wildly in the snow and I hit a curb, bending a wheel. It really isn't very good in the snow
No, it really is...it's not the car's fault you took a turn too hot in the snow and bent a wheel (and probably other damage as well).
Hatch Nation #29
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
Fine Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88092
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus 5 Door

FF Reputation: 1 Fine Focus Good Standing Member
First significant snow in my part of the Northeast last night since 2010 so I finally had a chance to put my P195 65 15 Michelin Ice-X12 winter tires to the test.

Visually, the tires do not look that aggressive so I had my doubts but all that changed after driving in bad snow/ice conditions. Best snow driving experience ever! The car felt very secure with minimum wheel spin. Under load, the traction control did engage a bit but not as much as other TC equipped cars I have owned.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
The Focus in snow, as long as you know what to do with it, is a great car. Yes, the TC can be somewhat too "intrusive", but just let go of the gas pedal and let the DCT do its job and you'll be good. We had today some 15 cm of snow and we'll be getting up to 30-35 cm and the car was great on the way to office (some 25 km -city and highway). I have 17" winter tires and I cannot be happier with the way it handles snow. Even better than my ex Mercury Cougar (MT transmission).
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
moarmoto
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106724
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Metallic MK3

FF Reputation: 1 moarmoto Good Standing Member
I have the stock tires and wheels that came with '13 Hatchback SE Plus Package with the 17". I drove last night in Toronto and also this morning and thought it faired pretty well. Only problem was trying to get out of the snow back that stupid snow plow made, but after a bit of shovelling, I was fine.

Snow=drive gently
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
I had the same tires (I'm guessing? Alpin PS3) and had no trouble last winter or the one snow I drove in this winter. Seemed to handle the snow pretty well, and I'm not talking about 1 inch...I live in Cleveland.

Then again I just traded in the car yesterday for a 2013 Accord Sport, and this thing kills the snow like it's on a mission.

Bookmarks & Social Networks