This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 8 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
You had snow tires though, and if the tcs was engaging turning it off should theoretically mean that the wheels would sit there and spin/ slip.
So does the OP, and that's my point.

My tires still spin plenty while I'm moving. It's just a slower rate and more controlled. They're going to slip no matter what tires you have when you're on very slick surfaces like packed snow and ice, the difference is that most all seasons will just lose grip and be useless, while the snow tires seems to continue working and still move the vehicle.

That's why I say to just turn off traction control. I've never used it in any of my vehicles, and I maintain it's not needed unless you drive a rather powerful car, especially if it's RWD and light in the rear. You don't lose control as easily with a FWD car with a lot of wheel spin, unlike a RWD where if it really lets loose you'll probably end up bass ackwards pretty freakin' quick.

With my specific setup, when starting at lights or when accelerating quickly I get decent wheel spin, but I still accelerate. Once I'm at speed there's little to no slippage. With my previous all seasons, a healthy gust of wind was enough to get it sliding on very slick surfaces, and it had a tendency to get stuck in the paths made from the vehicles in front. They're just not good tires and don't work well in cold temps or with snow on the ground.

As far as the OP is concerned, considering the traction control on these cars kicks in when there's even a hint of wheel spin, it should just be turned off. The wheels will spin a bit, it's not a big deal. Been doing that with every car I've owned (well, the ones that actually had it), and I haven't had any major problems in snow (even with crap all seasons).
Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:40 AM   #12
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82372
What I Drive: 2012 SEL 5dr PowerShudder

FF Reputation: 1 Doctor Drew Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I was tooling around southeast Michigan all day in my car, on the stock tires, and I must say I was rather impressed with her. It was certainly as good, if not better, than my previous Taurus SHO's and their BFGoodrich KDWS's and Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
I was tooling around southeast Michigan all day in my car, on the stock tires, and I must say I was rather impressed with her. It was certainly as good, if not better, than my previous Taurus SHO's and their BFGoodrich KDWS's and Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds.
I don't know how you could have had such a good experience if you're tooling around on the 16" continentals, either that or the roads where you were were cleaner, as the car slipped and slid all over the place and was not at all confidence inspiring even with light throttle applications, or what I felt was very light, it turns out that what's really light on dry pavement is lighting the tires up and slipping/ sliding in the deep tracks left by other cars.

It was definitely side stepping and slipping through the deeper stuff.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #14
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I don't know how you could have had such a good experience if you're tooling around on the 16" continentals, either that or the roads where you were were cleaner, as the car slipped and slid all over the place and was not at all confidence inspiring even with light throttle applications, or what I felt was very light, it turns out that what's really light on dry pavement is lighting the tires up and slipping/ sliding in the deep tracks left by other cars.

It was definitely side stepping and slipping through the deeper stuff.
Ehh, it wasn't terribly hairy. I've had much worse experiences driving in Kalamazoo when a normal snow is pretty much 10-12 inches.

Here's a bonus picture of my father getting his 5.0 stuck in his driveway. He made it all the way from Detroit only to get fouled by a slight incline. The guy is nuts.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #15
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Drew View Post
Ehh, it wasn't terribly hairy. I've had much worse experiences driving in Kalamazoo when a normal snow is pretty much 10-12 inches.

Here's a bonus picture of my father getting his 5.0 stuck in his driveway. He made it all the way from Detroit only to get fouled by a slight incline. The guy is nuts.
Considering it was the first time I've driven the car in snow like this it was not at all what I expected, especially after having driven my old car for over 44000 miles including several winters between metro Detroit and Flint. I was used to having to threshold brake as well as gingerly accelerating with a manual, but with the new car it did not behave properly at least with the TCS on. Even at low speed the abs was freaking out and the wheels were locking up at just 5- 10 mph let alone from slightly quicker.

Either my light foot was wasn't light enough (even though I was able to get the TCS to not kick in and occasionally it felt ok, but it was still a lot more work than it is normally), or the tires just had zero grip in the deep slush/ piles built up by other traffic did cause the car to slide around a lot.

The thresholds are way lower than it is normally that I already understand, but it felt like the traction control was intruding way too frequently and I wasn't really able to exceed 30-35 mph comfortably at points, and sometimes stuck as low as 15-25 when rolling or 5 mph in traffic to keep a decent gap and not hit anything.

Some other people were speeding around like nothing was happening but it was not as smooth sailing as you seem to say you had.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #16
Doctor Drew
Focus Enthusiast

That's weird. My TCS light flashed a few times today while accelerating, but not once did I feel the ABS pulse.

I think I did smell some clutch though. I swear these DCT's are frying themselves.

p.s. My poor friend has a 3 liter, 2wd ranger. I can't believe he's still alive after today. Haha.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6, 02 ZTS

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I can see this guy being one of those the firmly plants his foot to the floor and can't seem to figure out although the speedo is reading 120 the car has barely moved a few inches.

I have found in my experience with automatics at least, just simply taking your foot off the brake in drive, the car will simply move on it's own once it gets moving then I apply some power.

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #18
suss6052
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
I can see this guy being one of those the firmly plants his foot to the floor and can't seem to figure out although the speedo is reading 120 the car has barely moved a few inches.

I have found in my experience with automatics at least, just simply taking your foot off the brake in drive, the car will simply move on it's own once it gets moving then I apply some power.
The OP perhaps, but I know in my case I was very light on the throttle yet the car was still jumping around. I also know that if I were to plant the throttle to the floor the tcs would clamp down on the power and the car wouldn't move any faster than the conditions allowed.

The car was still quite a bit twitchier than I recall from my last car on similar conditions, but I might have had a touch more feel with the throttle as it was mechanical.

My last car was a single clutch sliding gear manual, the new one is an automated dual clutch automated manual, not a torque converter automatic, so the responses should be roughly similar to a manual at least as far as the low speed behavior.

I was more perturbed by how frequently the traction control was stepping in at low throttle applications as well as how often the abs was fighting to prevent brake application (to prevent lock up) even at speeds normally below that of which the older cars worked. That and it really didn't want to go in a straight line without a lot of effort, or so it seemed. I haven't put too many miles on the car in the snow yet however.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 AM   #19
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6, 02 ZTS

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yes I was aiming at the op my appologys.

Sent from FBI surveillance van 2

Sedan Revolution#13
Rally Revolution#99
Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post

Ahh, no. I do know how to drive in the snow . After all this is Canada. I had a sunfire on all seasons that was pretty much unstoppable. It is the DCT. 16" snow tires. Im running a used set of tires but they have at least 1/2 the tread life left. Maybe the rubber has gotten a bit hard over the years. Im no white knuckle driver, and snow does not phase me, but it drove like i was on the summer tires. Tread blocks were clean when i stopped so they are throwing snow. If most of you are having no trouble, then its the tires for sure. I just got this car. I had to get rims and tpms sensors, as well as the weathertech floor mats. Well, didnt have to, get those particular mats, but ive ruined enough carpets over the years. I wanted to keep cost down so I was hoping to get two seasons out of the tires. Guess thats not going to happen.

Bookmarks & Social Networks