This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Darth_Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104539
What I Drive: 2012,Tuxedo Black, Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Darth_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow

First snow of the year and the car was pretty much immobilized. I have Michelin Alpin snow tires and this car was pretty much stopped in an inch of snow . Could not make it up a slight grade. Got so bad I had to shut the traction control off. It's a bit of a weapon. I barely make it through an intersection before the light goes red. Not impressed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Dct?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 12-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
First snow of the year and the car was pretty much immobilized. I have Michelin Alpin snow tires and this car was pretty much stopped in an inch of snow . Could not make it up a slight grade. Got so bad I had to shut the traction control off. It's a bit of a weapon. I barely make it through an intersection before the light goes red. Not impressed.
Why is it bad? No traction (tires)? Traction control?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47691
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Monkeygrits Good Standing Member
Mine goes great. Its not as good as 4wd but for a Fwd i was impressed. Are your tires new? Mines a 5 speed
Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
13ingothatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106336
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver Focus Se hatch

FF Reputation: 1 13ingothatch Good Standing Member
Are you trying to gun it or what? Not trying to be rude but I just drove through 3 inches of snow and slush with the oe 16 continental tires. I never even had the tcs turn on. With a light foot and slow steady movements this car is pretty capable in the snow. Now I did get stuck in my girlfriends driveway but it is super steep, gravel, and iced over. I could've made it with snow tires though.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #6
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Car has 7800 miles or near as makes no difference, but the o.e. continentals in the 215/55/R16 seem to have pretty poor snow traction as it keeps engaging the traction control at light throttle application as well as locking up the brakes and setting off the ABS seemingly well below the typical ABS thresholds on the previous cars I'd driven with ABS. (I.e. at 5-10 mph instead of just over 15).

Yesterday was the first day I'd actually driven on fallen snow deep enough to be a concern, when light/ wet flakes were falling it wasn't an issue, but on compacted snow and fresher snow its slippery and it didn't really want to track straight.

If I had to guess at the root cause of the issue would probably be the tires have no traction for snow/ slush/ etc but then again they would spin or trigger the tcs with anything approaching a quick start on dry pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13ingothatch View Post
Are you trying to gun it or what? Not trying to be rude but I just drove through 3 inches of snow and slush with the oe 16 continental tires. I never even had the tcs turn on. With a light foot and slow steady movements this car is pretty capable in the snow. Now I did get stuck in my girlfriends driveway but it is super steep, gravel, and iced over. I could've made it with snow tires though.
Even when I was very light on the throttle the TCS was kicking in immediately, and the car felt very unstable.

I was able to consistently provoke it with a heavier throttle when I wanted to test the theory, but that's not the same as the problem I was having with just 7800 miles on the tires.

I would feather the throttle and the car would jump and jolt and dart side to side, if I tried to basically drive without the throttle it would crawl, but it still didn't feel like going straight without a lot of effort.

TCS and ABS were a lot more intrusive than anything I've experienced before.

I had driven my old car over 44,000 miles including a lot of time in the snow, it lacked any abs or traction control though so I had to keep a light but steady throttle pressure and plan out my braking moves properly without killing myself. I was sorely disappointed with how unstable it felt. It seemed like the tires had zero traction most of the time.

The car which felt very planted on dry or wet pavement for the most part felt like a nervous poodle on snow/slush.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
I'm currently in Toronto going through the same snowstorm too and I'm riding on the 17" all seasons that came from the factory for the sports package. I guess since I have a manual, that may help?

Anyways, I actually thought the car did wonderfully. I was plowing through at 60+km/h. Stopped and started fine. Granted you have to be gingerly with the throttle or all you're going get is the traction control light. I was getting way less understeer than I would have expected for the conditions too; did a right hand turn at 25km/h with hard packed snow and had zero plowing.

You're going to have to expect some slippage with packed snow on the ground, but you shouldn't have problems unless you're trying to change speeds quickly. Snow doesn't kill speed: it kills acceleration/deceleration. Come drive in the snow belt for a few seasons and you'll get what I mean ;).
Old 12-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have zero problems in snow (3+ inches today) with mine. You must be doing something different. No problem starting and stopping, even on inclines.

Should probably turn traction control off...it doesn't need to be on in most cases.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post

If I had to guess at the root cause of the issue would probably be the tires have no traction for snow/ slush/ etc but then again they would spin or trigger the tcs with anything approaching a quick start on dry pavement.

Even when I was very light on the throttle the TCS was kicking in immediately, and the car felt very unstable.

I was able to consistently provoke it with a heavier throttle when I wanted to test the theory, but that's not the same as the problem I was having with just 7800 miles on the tires.

I would feather the throttle and the car would jump and jolt and dart side to side, if I tried to basically drive without the throttle it would crawl, but it still didn't feel like going straight without a lot of effort.

TCS and ABS were a lot more intrusive than anything I've experienced before.

I had driven my old car over 44,000 miles including a lot of time in the snow, it lacked any abs or traction control though so I had to keep a light but steady throttle pressure and plan out my braking moves properly without killing myself. I was sorely disappointed with how unstable it felt. It seemed like the tires had zero traction most of the time.

The car which felt very planted on dry or wet pavement for the most part felt like a nervous poodle on snow/slush.
Wow that sounds pretty nerve-wracking. I'm glad you made it home OK! I didn't have darting (thankfully!) though maybe on one occasion I did feel the car deviate a little bit. Maybe the areas I was driving wasn't as bad as where you are -- more drifts in your area? I drove from Kennedy and Steeles to hwy 7 and Carlton, back to don mills and Steeles, and then back to warden and hwy 7 without much issues. I took Kennedy north, then 404 south, then woodbine/hwy 7 back.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
I have zero problems in snow (3+ inches today) with mine. You must be doing something different. No problem starting and stopping, even on inclines.

Should probably turn traction control off...it doesn't need to be on in most cases.
You had snow tires though, and if the tcs was engaging turning it off should theoretically mean that the wheels would sit there and spin/ slip.

Bookmarks & Social Networks