Mazda CX-5 - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,640
FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianlarry View Post
Various road test put the 0-60 times of the CX-5 at 9 to 9.5 seconds. My 5 speed Focus is reported to do it in 7.3 seconds. I have driven the CX-5 and although seat of the pants road tests are hardly accurate, those numbers kind of feel about right.

I looked up a couple of weights for the CX-5 and they range from 3300 to 3500 depending on equipment. Mazda itself cites a 1555kg weight which is 3421 lbs for the awd. Most weight listings for the Focus are 2900 lbs up to 3100 for the Titanium.While the Escape may be a bit of a porker, it does have more power in either the 1.6 or 2 liter engines.

Different vehicles will test differently but slow is slow and up to 400 pounds is a fair bit of extra weight.
The cx-5 is geared towards mpg. The escapes 1.6/2.0 are turboed.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #12
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
 
TheGlassMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Fan#: 69510
Location: De Graff, OH
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Posts: 8,185
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Curious if your sister, was one of those who just buys a car uses as a tool get from point A to point B and that's it. Doesn't change the oil, does give it proper yearly maintenance things like that.

I just bought a '04 mazda 6 with the 3.0. I'm the 6th owner of it and the second state it's been in. The car is immaculate, rust free, and rides better than anything I've ever owned. Your gonna seriously tell me that everyone of the previous owners took that good of care for it, the car is well built and i'm very up set for not looking into mazda sooner. The build quality is amazing.

You can ask everyone who knows me, I take more than great care of my cars and trucks. My focus is waiting on it's third engine, and my ranger is waiting on a transmission. Yea I know Mazda is ford but don't deter people from mazda including your sister she knows what she has. I actually have nothing against ford either. I'd rather push my ford than drive other brands. I would recommend ford and mazda to any one.
__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. -Eleanor Roosevelt
TheGlassMaker is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,395
FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
The cx-5 is geared towards mpg. The escapes 1.6/2.0 are turboed.
The 1.6 is still technically rated as being both more powerful yet not terribly less efficient than the eco oriented and very slow 2.0 L in the CX-5, but anyway.
__________________
Moderator for: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus
suss6052 is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #14
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102604
Location: Mount pearl, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

Posts: 48
FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
The cx-5 is geared towards mpg. The escapes 1.6/2.0 are turboed.
Slow with a good reason is still slow.
canadianlarry is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102604
Location: Mount pearl, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

Posts: 48
FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Curious if your sister, was one of those who just buys a car uses as a tool get from point A to point B and that's it. Doesn't change the oil, does give it proper yearly maintenance things like that.

I just bought a '04 mazda 6 with the 3.0. I'm the 6th owner of it and the second state it's been in. The car is immaculate, rust free, and rides better than anything I've ever owned. Your gonna seriously tell me that everyone of the previous owners took that good of care for it, the car is well built and i'm very up set for not looking into mazda sooner. The build quality is amazing.

You can ask everyone who knows me, I take more than great care of my cars and trucks. My focus is waiting on it's third engine, and my ranger is waiting on a transmission. Yea I know Mazda is ford but don't deter people from mazda including your sister she knows what she has. I actually have nothing against ford either. I'd rather push my ford than drive other brands. I would recommend ford and mazda to any one.
Both cars were dealer maintained until they were traded. Maybe here in Eastern Canada the Mazdas suffer more from corrosion than more inland areas, but nothing rusts out here as quickly as the japanese makes, mazda being the worst. A quick internet search showed an awful lot of the 4 cylinder Mazda 6's having major oil consumption issues and smoking.
canadianlarry is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
 
TheGlassMaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Fan#: 69510
Location: De Graff, OH
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Posts: 8,185
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yes, mazda 4 cylenders had a smoke issue but usually a quick pvc replacement fixed the issue. The 2.3 is the same engine that's in the focus it's a good engine.

I'm glad to see the cars was taken cared for, but I don't trust a dealer when it comes to repairs. I do all my work DIY. I've been screwed over too many times for dealerships and would never trust another with my car or truck. They will charge you for repairs that they don't do and find repairs the cars don't need. i have nothing against the 2013 escape and me and my wife looked into one but they are over priced and get horrible mileage.

Infact I took pics of the one we test drove and talked to the dealer about.


__________________
Do one thing every day that scares you. -Eleanor Roosevelt
TheGlassMaker is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!
 
lildisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 5761
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, OH
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Posts: 6,649
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
really sounds like your sister can't take care of her vehicles. I've seen Protege's last to over 150,000. I know several Mazda 6 owners well into 100,000's and everything functions as it should. Weekly washing/rinsing the car (or every other week) will do wonders for a car, especially up north where snow/salt is more common.

Sounds like you or your family haven't read the owners manual. Unless they have changed it, but the remote for the remote start WILL open the doors if you simply press the button to start it once or twice. There also should be a button somewhere on the door handle to open/lock the doors as well as one on the rear hatch. As long as the key is on you, you shouldn't need to pull it out to open the doorsI have a 2006 Mazda 6i sport & a 2008 CX7 AWD GT, my mother in-law also has a 2009 CX9 AWD GT with remote start. My 6i has been reliable and NEVER smoked or burned oil, infact i've never heard of the issue before on the N/A 2.3. I have heard it however, on the Turbo'd 2.3 that's in the speed3's, speed6's and CX7.

Don't know why you'd compare a CUV to a econobox focus for fuel econmy, but they both serve their purposes. The CX5 was a more mpg friendly CUV and supposed to replace my car, the CX7. I've personally been in a CX5 and it feels small and cramped compared to my CX7, but on paper it's technically bigger. The Focus, regardless of trim, is still an A to B vehicle. Ford has tried to change the market they are going after which is fine, but the price has also gone up. You get more bells and whistles compared to the 1st & 2nd gens, but you're also paying more. I paid $13,500 US out the door for my 03 Zetec Sedan 5 speed manual, with power windows, power locks, Cruise, Sunroof & keyless entry off the showroom floor. Price out a Focus now with those options and you'll be upwards of $20,000+ US.

If you want to compare apples to apples, compare a mazda 3 to your focus and they're pretty much the same. You have to give the CX5 credit, 35 mpg with a manual transmission is impressive for a CUV, 32 mpg with an auto is also pretty good too.
__________________
"I flushed a bag of skittles down the toilet yesterday and watched a NASCAR race in 8 seconds flat."
06 Spring Into Focus Best Sedan/Wagon Winner

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
lildisco is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Fan#: 102604
Location: Mount pearl, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

Posts: 48
FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildisco View Post
really sounds like your sister can't take care of her vehicles. I've seen Protege's last to over 150,000. I know several Mazda 6 owners well into 100,000's and everything functions as it should. Weekly washing/rinsing the car (or every other week) will do wonders for a car, especially up north where snow/salt is more common.

Sounds like you or your family haven't read the owners manual. Unless they have changed it, but the remote for the remote start WILL open the doors if you simply press the button to start it once or twice. There also should be a button somewhere on the door handle to open/lock the doors as well as one on the rear hatch. As long as the key is on you, you shouldn't need to pull it out to open the doorsI have a 2006 Mazda 6i sport & a 2008 CX7 AWD GT, my mother in-law also has a 2009 CX9 AWD GT with remote start. My 6i has been reliable and NEVER smoked or burned oil, infact i've never heard of the issue before on the N/A 2.3. I have heard it however, on the Turbo'd 2.3 that's in the speed3's, speed6's and CX7.

Don't know why you'd compare a CUV to a econobox focus for fuel econmy, but they both serve their purposes. The CX5 was a more mpg friendly CUV and supposed to replace my car, the CX7. I've personally been in a CX5 and it feels small and cramped compared to my CX7, but on paper it's technically bigger. The Focus, regardless of trim, is still an A to B vehicle. Ford has tried to change the market they are going after which is fine, but the price has also gone up. You get more bells and whistles compared to the 1st & 2nd gens, but you're also paying more. I paid $13,500 US out the door for my 03 Zetec Sedan 5 speed manual, with power windows, power locks, Cruise, Sunroof & keyless entry off the showroom floor. Price out a Focus now with those options and you'll be upwards of $20,000+ US.

If you want to compare apples to apples, compare a mazda 3 to your focus and they're pretty much the same. You have to give the CX5 credit, 35 mpg with a manual transmission is impressive for a CUV, 32 mpg with an auto is also pretty good too.
You drive a Mazda so I would expect you to be blind to it's faults. Dealer maintained is dealer maintained in case you can't read. All scheduled maintenance and all repairs done when needed. The pcv valve was not the problem with oil consumption. They couldn't explain it and said it was normal. If you personally haven't heard of a problem then it mustn't exist. The remotes on the CX-5 work as they should, just stupidly. We aren't talking about all the Mazdas you know that AREN'T CX-5s that work nicely.


I didn't compare fuel consumption between a car and truck. My original point was that with similar horsepower ( 155 and 160 ) a heavier Mazda CX-5 is obviously underpowered based on power to weight compared to the Focus.

The Focus has become a much more premium car in the latest version and wins a fair bit of praise. Enjoy your Mazda. Every make of car has its fans. Even the not so great ones. My sister loves hers, so there you go.
canadianlarry is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
lildisco
RespectMyAuthoritah!
 
lildisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Fan#: 5761
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, OH
What I Drive: 06 Mazda6i, 08 Mazda CX7 GT AWD

Posts: 6,649
FF Reputation: 47 lildisco Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianlarry View Post
You drive a Mazda so I would expect you to be blind to it's faults. Dealer maintained is dealer maintained in case you can't read. All scheduled maintenance and all repairs done when needed. The pcv valve was not the problem with oil consumption. They couldn't explain it and said it was normal. If you personally haven't heard of a problem then it mustn't exist. The remotes on the CX-5 work as they should, just stupidly. We aren't talking about all the Mazdas you know that AREN'T CX-5s that work nicely.


I didn't compare fuel consumption between a car and truck. My original point was that with similar horsepower ( 155 and 160 ) a heavier Mazda CX-5 is obviously underpowered based on power to weight compared to the Focus.

The Focus has become a much more premium car in the latest version and wins a fair bit of praise. Enjoy your Mazda. Every make of car has its fans. Even the not so great ones. My sister loves hers, so there you go.
Dealer maintained doesn't mean crap if it's beat to crap. Just because someone takes it to the dealer for scheduled maintenance doesn't mean it's had preventative maintenance done.

I never said anything about PCV valve, just the smoking & excess oil consumption was on the TURBO'D 2.3L, NOT the n/a 2.3.

I would say personally i haven't heard of the problem as i'm on many mazda forums and personally know over 20 people with different mazda's and NONE of them have said they had issue's with oil consumption & burning oil. Mine Mazda 6i with the 2.3L included.

Ford got a lot of their technology, including their remote entry system, from Mazda. They have tweaked it over the years, but it's basically the same. I was stating to you that i've driven a Mazda with remote start and the remote start fob will unlock the doors. It's in the manual. The CX5 i rode in had a keyless entry system with a little button on the door handle that was easily pushed to gain entry to the car w/o having to take the key out. What you're saying doesn't make sense, but it would hurt for YOU to read the owners manual since YOU have such a problem understanding how technology works.

I never said you compared the mpg's of a CX5 to a truck. I said you compared a CX5 to a focus, which are in 2 completely different classes and isn't fair to either as a CUV is different from an ecnobox. Mazda listens to it's customers and will make improvements over the next for model years.

The price of the focus has jumped considerably over the years, so i would imagine that both quality and technology has increased with the price. I'm fan of both the Ford and Mazda, so i don't really see what your point is. But all cars will be lemons if they aren't properly maintained, dealer or no dealer.
__________________
"I flushed a bag of skittles down the toilet yesterday and watched a NASCAR race in 8 seconds flat."
06 Spring Into Focus Best Sedan/Wagon Winner

03 SE SVT Wannabe (sold) to help pay for my 08 Cooper Red Mazda CX7 AWD GT
lildisco is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic
 
felixthecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Fan#: 80663
Location: Renton, WA
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Posts: 8,640
FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The 1.6 is still technically rated as being both more powerful yet not terribly less efficient than the eco oriented and very slow 2.0 L in the CX-5, but anyway.
I'd go for the 1.6 turbo over the sky active motor in the mazda. But anyway these aren't for me, great for others. I like cars & trucks, not suv's or crossovers. The Foci & Amarillo do it for me.
__________________
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
felixthecat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.