2012 Focus Transmission Shaking - Page 64 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #631
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,230, Level 35
Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35 Points: 3,230, Level: 35
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by femaven View Post
I occasionally get some hesitation from a stop and grinding between 1 and 2 along with hesitation on the shift...
femaven,

Welcome to the boards! I want to lend a hand by arranging a call from your regional customer service manager. For me to do this, please send a PM with your full name, VIN, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
...Maybe after reading the letter they'll realize I'm in a special situation and they need to get out of my way and let me pass unhindered so that I don't have to slow down and experience shuddering/hesitation from the DCT. ...
You could get a job as a cop, kam327. Flashing lights usually help with traffic. LOL JK

Seriously though, PM me with the details I mentioned above and Iíll send your info up the line.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #632
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
The hesitation issue may be the nature of the beast. I bet you experience this when accelerated fairly gently, with shift points at say 2,300 - 2,500 RPMs, like in much urban/suburban traffic? Early shift points are engineered into almost all cars these days for better fuel economy, so this isn't unique to the Focus. However, after the upshift the engine is barely turning more than 1,500 RPMs and there just isn't much torque available, so the engine seems to bog or hesitate. Once up the torque curve a bit, things are fine again.

Why is this so noticeable in the Focus? Conventional automatics have a torque converter to multiply the torque produced by the engine and smooth out unevenness in power deliver. The Focus has none; the clutch can help with this at launch, but not in subsequent gear changes. So the solution to me seems to be live with it or drive it more aggressively.
I disagree on this one. They do can change that buy changing shift schedule. Conventional trans will smoothly down shift and go to lower gear, after that it all will go into up shift mode. I believe they can reprogram DCTs individually to the drivers comfort.
I have exactly same issues and grinding 1-3. Dealer put me on the Fords hotline, got call back, as my dealer said: ford wants them to reset and relearn trans. Cause luckily I drove another Focus with 24k miles with tech an car drove smooth, I have much less miles. So good thing we agreed that something fishy with my DCT. I hope next time we get somewhere with repairs.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #633
heathermcg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108857
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 heathermcg Good Standing Member
I bought my Focus used from a Chevy dealer (as they offered the most for my old 2000 Cavalier). It currently has 40,000 on it (purchased with 38,000). It does the jerking from stop to acceleration. I have a warranty through the Chevy dealer, who said that the issue was a recall issue and to go to a Ford dealer (note: they are less than impressive...which is why I didn't buy another Chevy). The Ford dealer said it wasn't a recall and to return in a few days for the car to be looked at. Will this be included in the powertrain warranty? If not, I'm cancelling my appointment, and returning it back to the Chevy dealer and tell them to fix the problem under the warranty they sold me.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #634
ruthrj
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93807
What I Drive: 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport Auto FWD

FF Reputation: 1 ruthrj Good Standing Member
It will be covered by the Ford powertrain warranty, if they will in fact admit there is even a problem with the transmission to begin with. They are going to listen to your explanation of what you think is the issue, take it for a test drive, and report back that they didn't find anything abnormal. They'll show you a slip of paper from Ford saying that a slight shudder from stop to acceleration is normal.

It may in fact be normal if its happening occasionally. Mine did it from time to time when I owned it. If it happens every time you hit the gas then I would think that it is abnormal. Best advice I can give you is to thoroughly read through this thread as well as the "Problems with the 2012 Focus" thread and determine how bad the issue is with your car. Chevy won't have any idea what to do with it as they are completely unfamiliar with Ford's dual-clutch transmission, and Ford is going to act like its normal thing that the car always does.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #635
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,230, Level 35
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
...I have exactly same issues and grinding 1-3....
I apologize for missing your reply, Ysteven. I made sure youíll get a follow-up call before the end of the day today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathermcg View Post
...It does the jerking from stop to acceleration...
heathermcg,

I can to lend a hand by escalating this up to your regional customer service manager. Please send me a PM with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #636
heathermcg
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108857
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 heathermcg Good Standing Member
Thanks for the response. My car does it just about every time I accelerate after I dead stop (with the exception of slamming on the gas...then I guess there is not time to shudder :) ).
Old 01-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #637
SouthernGal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108932
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus

FF Reputation: 1 SouthernGal Good Standing Member
I'm a Ford person. So far I've owned a Ford Festiva ('89), a Ford Mustang LX ('93), a Ford Mustang GT ('92), a Mercury Sable ('00), Ford Crown Vic ('96), Ford Explorer ('06), and a Ford Focus ('10). I've also owned two Chevy's mixed in there.

My parents are also Ford people. We're from Detroit and several family members were Ford employees who worked their entire working careers for Ford.

When I got traded in my Sable on my 2010 Focus I was so thrilled that before my daughter even turned 16 and got her license I was thrilled when my parents bought her a slightly used (5K miles) 2012 Focus.

I'm a little less than thrilled today. She had the apparently typical problem of shuddering during gentle acceleration, hesitancy on gentle acceleration, and a hard shift between first and second gears. I assumed that it had more to do with being an inexperienced driver than anything as I tend to accelerate a bit more firmly and I didn't experience those issues.

Then about 6 months into owning the car I got the customer satisfaction program notice about the transmission reprogramming. I took the car in and had the work done.

It didn't solve the problem. In fact it made it worse (actually contributing to the rolling back on an incline issue) and increasingly harsh shuddering and more hesitance on acceleration that wasn't drag race quality acceleration. So much so that even I notice it with my more aggressive driving style.

Fast forward to last night when on a more gentle acceleration we heard an odd "grinding" noise (sounded like dragging something plastic on the ground or shaking gravel in a plastic bottle) and a shudder going up a slight incline into our driveway that felt like the car was going to stall out.

I took the car into the dealership today. When I picked the car up (8 hours later) I was told that if I had any more problems to bring it back in. Well, I wasn't 3 miles off the lot when the grinding noise was heard and a gentle acceleration (stop-and-go traffic) left me wondering if my teeth were still attached to their roots. I drove for a few more miles just to be sure that I wasn't imagining things and headed right back to the dealer. They now have the car for a second day (necessitating a great deal of juggling things around so that my daughter can get to school and work and I can get to school and work since those things are 35+ miles in opposite directions).

I keep reading about having to drive differently with the dual clutch transmission and advice (some of it rather snarky) to just "Google" it and find out how to properly drive your Ford Focus. My issues with that? First, when I Google the DCT and Ford Focus all I manage to find is page upon page of complaints about this car and it's transmission. I don't find any "how to" information. Second, I see advice about waiting for the car to be broken in and how it will get better ... yeah. We've got 13,500 miles on this car. Just how much breaking in should there be? Third, how in the holy heck is one supposed to differentiate between the "normal" shudder and not "normal" shudder?

I've been driving for nearly 30 years and I've driven more than a few cars with manual transmissions - ranging from cheap cars like my Festiva, to pick up trucks, to my Corvette. With the exception of the early days of learning how to drive a manual (which happens to coincide with learning how to drive) I have never had a car shudder and nearly stall. I suppose I should take away from that bit of anecdotal evidence that I am one heck of a driver since I seem to be able to shift gears for efficiently and more effectively than a computer.

I'm exceedingly frustrated and my daughter no longer feels safe driving her car. This was quite an investment as it was to be the car that got her through her senior year of high school and all the way through college before she'd need a new car. We didn't go cheap here as even as a (slightly) used car we dropped $20K.

At what point do you just give up and get a new car? I don't mind having to alter driving habits a bit in order to accommodate the quirks of a good car. But shuddering to the point of nearly stalling should not ever be considered "normal" or "expected."

Perhaps Ford needs to realize that most of us might be willing to sacrifice a few mpg for a car that actually accelerates when called upon to do so, doesn't roll backwards on an incline, and doesn't shudder nearly to a stall when you can't put the pedal to the metal in city traffic.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #638
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,230, Level 35
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 28%
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathermcg View Post
Thanks for the response...
heathermcg,

You got it. I shot a reply to your PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGal View Post
...Fast forward to last night when on a more gentle acceleration we heard an odd "grinding" noise...
Welcome to the forum, SouthernGal! Itís important to me that youíre happy with your ride. Please send me a PM with your full name, phone number, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN so I can have your regional customer service manager call you.

Cory

Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #639
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 534, Level 10
Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10 Points: 534, Level: 10
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
At what point do you just give up and get a new car?
Do it now.

The more you have done at a Ford dealership, the worse it's going to get.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #640
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,210, Level 51
Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51 Points: 6,210, Level: 51
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
SouthernGal,

I'm a big fan of the 5 hard accelerations technique. It has worked for me. Twice. I had a moderate shudder develop at about 500 miles on the car. I lived with it for 1,000 miles but finally took the advice of others on here and went out to a country road and did a few full throttle, pedal to the metal, 0-60 accelerations in a row. Then I drove very aggressively for the rest of the day. I had several thousand smooth miles after that.

Then like you I went and had the "customer satisfaction" update done (12B37). The DCT started shifting sloppily after that and eventually a shudder developed. So I went out and again did the 5 full throttle accelerations. It still doesn't shift as buttery smooth as it once did, but the shudder is again gone. That was a couple thousand miles ago.

I would say don't take "Strix"'s advice and give up just yet. There are many on here, like me, that have had problems but eventually got them fixed for good. Make sure you've got all the latest software updates from the dealer, then go out and put the pedal to the medal.

Quote:
Third, how in the holy heck is one supposed to differentiate between the "normal" shudder and not "normal" shudder?
Having had the full range of shudder severity, my take is that a slight shudder that's not enough for a passenger who's talking to you at the time to notice is probably within the normal operating range. A shudder severe enough to get that passenger's attention mid-sentence and have to ask "What the heck was that?" is definitely not normal and you shouldn't settle for it.

I'm pretty much with you overall on driving experience, Ford loyalty, and reluctance to accept the DCT's quirks when all I want is a smooth shifting automatic that stays in the background. I would personally prefer a smooth shifting conventional automatic and would be willing to take a 1-2 mpg hit for it, but with a little proaction on my part the DCT is to the point where it's not perfect but I can accept the quirks in everyday operation and the other positive attributes of the car more than make up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
Do it now.

The more you have done at a Ford dealership, the worse it's going to get.
Says one particularly disgruntled Focus owner.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.