Snow Tires Yes or No - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #61
canadianlarry
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 102604
What I Drive: 2012 sterling grey 5spd se

FF Reputation: 2 canadianlarry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There will always be people who are proud of not doing things the right way. Snow tires make sense in snowy climates period. Today it seems that people make fun of people for all kinds of reasons. People who can barely read or write laugh at educated literal people. Smokers actually defend smoking. Those who never steal movies or music are mocked by kids who see it as normal. For a large portion of the population it is way more important to not take good advice or take precautions to be a safe winter driver.

I know I am getting old when I start to think that "getting away with something" or breaking rules is the new normal. I don't care what personal choice people make about tires. It is up to you.Not having insurance is fine until something happens.

On a side note, this crazy logic is pretty evident in gun people saying more guns makes things safer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #62
shineboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60173
What I Drive: 2013 ST, 2004 Cobra

FF Reputation: 1 shineboy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Depends on WHERE you drive. IF your driving is entirely on freeways and city streets, then no, you do not need Winter tires.
IF you have a unpaved drivway, or a two lane road which is in the country you travel on regularly.. then yes get snow tires.

I live in the big city. I NEVER buy snow tires. They are a total waste of time and money for me. I am 62 years old and have driven in snow every Winter since i was 15 years old.
Snow tires are for SNOW, not for plowed streets.
Around me, snow tires might be needed a few times all Winter, and THAT only if you have roads that do not get plowed often.

I would never pay for snow tires in S.E. Wisconsin.
Up North it may certainly be a different matter.

Funny how a LOT of folks who post here are big on snow tires.. I guess they can rant and rave all they want about the benefits..
I would not bother to use them if I got them FREE!!!!!!!!!

(As i have mentioned previously.. my last car i had 12 Winters, and all 12 Winters I left the 'Summer Only' ultrahigh performance tires on all year round. I NEVER had a single problem with using them in Winter. And yeah they had poor traction when the snow is just right, no problem in my mind. They still stop just as good.)

And a good task to perform every time first snow: Go find a BIG empty parking lot, go crazy driving around in circles, skid, brake hard, spin out, Have a BALL. This gets you back to remembering what it is like in snow fast.
And then adding in remembering not to drive too close and you are set.
I would ignore this foolishness
Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #63
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I love my snow tires. So much better in the cold, even without any snow or ice on the ground.

I rolled on all seasons previously, and hated it. Yeah I can "get around", but you have to drive slower and leave a TON more space between cars so you don't hit anyone...and inevitably someone will take advantage of that huge space you're leaving and now suddenly someone is 10 feet in front of you and slowing down to turn...

My only complaint is my tires suck on the freeway. I'll probably go with performance snows next time around.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 12-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #64
Monkeygrits
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47691
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Monkeygrits Good Standing Member
Heres my thread on the subject. Ive already used mine. Not sure where your from but plowed roads in PA are still snow covered. They not only help you go on snow and ice, the also help you maintain control and stop. They may not be a must but ive spun a car around on just 2 front snow tires... Not fun. Get all 4. Plus i recommend you get a set of winter wheels too. Not only will it save wear and tear on your nice set from switching the tires and road rash, they will also pay for themselves in the long run. You dont have to pay the tire shop to swap your tires twice a year and you can swap them yourself so no waiting for them to do it. Your summer tires will also last longer because your storing them 3 months out of the year. Tire width inst a big concern on a small car like ours. If you where off roading in a 4wd rig then maybe. Dont be too concerned about it. Ground clearance will get the focus before worrying about the tires sinking or riding on top the snow. Im running stock size 215/55/16's on stock focus steel wheels which already had tpms installed on them.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304676

Bookmarks & Social Networks