Thermostat housing leak - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #31
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63511
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 MarkZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDeardorff View Post
I just bought a new thermostat housing for my '02 Focus SE and I wanted to post a picture from my computer. Any tips on how I can post a pic in a reply?

I bought the part from
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Auto-Parts-Direct-To-You/Items/2902201-YS4Z8592BD-Focus?&caSKU=2902201-YS4Z8592BD-Focus&caTitle=01%2002%2003%2004%2005%20Ford%20Focus%20Water%20Outlet%20Housing%20Kit

The item was in stock and comes with a new housing, water outlet, thermostat, and thermostat gasket. I have two questions is there a gasket still needed at the head/housing junction, and is there a gasket for the water outlet/housing junction? Anyone know the part numbers for the gasket if needed?
I bought the same item from the same place! and I got ripped off!! it came yesterday and all I got was the Motorcraft water outlet housing!!! and nothing else!!!, (No Kit!) well it did come with the one seal. Another rip off! man I hate that, I could have bought that for $35.00 else where!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #32
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Okay I already posted that I got ripped off buying that thermostat housing, well I know what they done, and why they done it BUT! its still a rip off.
The main store that it came from was,
AutoPartsDirectToYou.com

Now in my confirmation check out email it showed the following information,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Parts Direct
AutoPartsDirectToYou.com Item #13257259
01 02 03 04 05 Ford Focus Water Outlet Housing Kit
Price: $44.99
Quantity: 1
Inventory SKU: 2902201-YS4Z8592BD-Focus
Notice it states "KIT"??
But also notice the SKU: part number (2902201-YS4Z8592BD)

After I got to looking at that number I noticed the first part of it 2902201, the Dorman kit number is 902-201 and the other part of the number is YS4Z-8592-BD that is the actual Ford part number for the item they sent me .

When I ordered the part they had the Dorman kit pictured (I've seen it a lot before) which showed the,
Water outlet housing,
Thermostat,
Thermostat cover,
and both seals!

So what I know is that the Dorman kit isn't available! and won't be for some time!
They have the Dorman part number in their system, but they don't have the item in stock!
So what do they do, to keep from losing sales, they just add the Ford part number to the Dorman part number and substitute the Ford housing for the Dorman kit!

Well that's all and good, but! I didn't get all the parts that I thought I was getting! plus I got the OEM housing that I've tried to work around NOT getting for over a month

I feel that the company did wrong in doing this kind of switch!
I've sent them three emails now (over the weekend) but as of yet I've got NO Replies!

I did tell them in all three emails that I felt ripped off!
MarkZX3
Old 04-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #33
Dubbbber
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64482
What I Drive: 2002 Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Dubbbber Good Standing Member
So I found this thread because my coolant was leaking and the resevoir was empty, I filled the tank yesterday and checked early this morning and found it, all over the drive way!~ So I went to the dealer and got the housing which came with the gasket got a new thermostat with a new gasket for that, and a new valvevcover gasket all total $130.
Found the gasket on the housing was distorted like the pictures above and a flat spot on the innerside of where that gasket goes. So looks like I save myself a ton of labor cost's. Thanks to everyone who is willing and able to share great information! Oh yea bonus! I did not have to drive the hour to work today so i could play mechanic for a day, I miss working on my own cars.
2002 ZX5 Original owner!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #34
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I've been having some trouble with the idea of "Oil" leaking from the valve cover and draining down in behind the water outlet housing and damaging the rubber seal, leading to the seal leaking coolant.
What is it about a rubber seal that oil would cause it to swell and break the or crack the housing?

Mines leaking coolant and the valve cover isn't leaking?
I know at lest one other person who has a Focus that has the coolant leak and a dry valve cover?

I can help but to think that the newer coolant chemistry is attacking the crapy rubber seal.

After actually having the new Motorcraft housing and seal in hand, the seal looks more like a flat rubber drive belt out of a tape player, rather than a seal. If I end up keeping the motorcraft housing (If I can't send it back) then I'm thinking about tossing the factory seal in a tub of 50/50 mix of coolant for a month or so and see if it swells up.

I don't like the "Flat" thin "Wall" and extra "Tall" design of the seal. Also its in a rather wide grove, so I can't see it compressing before it flops over? its a crap design for sure

One thing I thought of might be to set the housing up (seal side up) and level. Then fill the seal grove up about half way up with a flow-able sealant like "Goop". let it set for a couple of days, then just put in a regular O-ring seal. Anything would be better than the OEM setup.
MarkZX3
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #35
zorro55555
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 60503
What I Drive: 2002 zx5 blue

FF Reputation: 1 zorro55555 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I also did not like the oddball "new" seal and used No. 134 viton "o" rings instead. Seems to work just fine.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #36
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I did get a reply back from auto parts direct, it reads as follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Email From Parts Direct
Mark, I am really sorry for the problem. I wasn't aware that Dorman had gone
to backorder on these and one of the people here thought they were doing the
right thing and just over played their hand. I can send you a UPS call tag
for that and when I get it back on the warehouse I will refund you in full.
Again sorry for the hassle.
At lest they are willing to make it right!

I had another idea about fixing this problem leak, if a person had a way of cutting a circle (or ring) out of some cork that was thick enough to stand out a few thousands of an inch above the grove then a Hi-tack sealant could be applied and probably fix the problem.
MarkZX3
Old 06-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #37
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkZX3 View Post
Originally Posted by Email From Parts Direct
Mark, I am really sorry for the problem. I wasn't aware that Dorman had gone
to backorder on these and one of the people here thought they were doing the
right thing and just over played their hand. I can send you a UPS call tag
for that and when I get it back on the warehouse I will refund you in full.
Again sorry for the hassle.
MarkZX3
UPDATE!!!
Parts direct NEVER sent me the UPS call tag
I contacted them back a week or so later and he said he would send me another call tag and if I got two of them just through one away. A bunch more time went by and still no UPS call tag.
I then sent them another email, and NO REPLY, nothing! so I've been ripped off!
Beware of parts direct!

So I have the Da** OEM housing, I guess I'll use it! but I am thinking about cutting a round circle out of cork and then sealing that with weather stripping adhesive!
I still feel its more of that rubber band seal than it is the housing.
MarkZX3
Old 06-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Okay, I give up on getting the Dorman water outlet housing

Autopartsdirect will not contact me back about returning the OEM housing I got from them

I don't like the OEM inner tube section that fords calls a seal

So I decided to go shopping for an after market water outlet to head seal.
Auto Zone,
Napa,
Advance Auto,
ect...

Now the problem is that I ended up buying seals from of the those places, they all were different, after I got them ALL home it was for sure that some of the places sold me a fuel pump seal for an 83 Audi (or whatever they fit)

But going through the seals I found ONE very interesting one that shows some hope.
The seal looks WAY more like a REAL seal!
its not a slice out of an inner tube,
its not an O-ring,
The outter edge is somewhat rounded,
but the inner side is more flat with some ribs,
The back and the front of the seal has a smaller sealing lip that stands out slightly above a wider (thicker) base,
The seals more stuff fits the housing's seal recess. once its fitted in the housing its LOOKS like a much nicer fit, I can't see it flipping over anyway.

The brand of the seal is,
Victor Reinz,

The part number is,
#C31611

I downloaded the Victor Reinz seal catalog (PDF file) and I looked the seal up myself and it does show it listed as the water outlet housing to head seal for the 2.0 Zetec.

No! I've not installed the housing YET! but its going to happen VERY soon, I will also be using the Victor Reinz seal! I've got a much better feeling about the OEM housing working with this after market seal! I'll post some updates after the job.
MarkZX3
Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #39
Fingprep
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60800
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Fingprep Good Standing Member
Does anyone have a pic of a new therm housing I would like to see the what the inside looks like before it fails
Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #40
chadr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96198
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 chadr Good Standing Member
leaking again

In March of this year I replaced the housing and found it leaking again today. I don't see any oil leaking from the valve cover gasket area (but I don't suspect leaking oil from above would damage the housing or seal anyway).

I bought the Dorman 902-201 Water Outlet Housing Kit from Amazon for $35 shipped. I also used Permatex Right Stuff in addition to the gaskets in housing. 9 months and its leaking already. I've never had any leak from anything I've sealed with Permatex Right Stuff.

Maybe I'll go with the o ring (VICTOR REINZ Part #C31611) suggested above and keep the same housing if it appears ok.

Bookmarks & Social Networks