2012 Ford Focus Steering Problem - Page 23 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #221
Sonicbluz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100495
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus s

FF Reputation: 1 Sonicbluz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'll be sending you a PM soon Crystal and thank you in advance. I've had the same issue with my freeway steering since I purchased my Focus May 2012. I was trying to learn to live with it, but did a lot of freeway driving over Thanksgiving and it gets tedious and tiring trying to keep the car centered in a lane. I finally made and appointment with my dealer and took the car in today. The mechanic took it for a test drive by himself. "Every thing is fine, the wheels are alligned" and he didn't notice any drastic pulling to either side. It is a subtle problem, but I KNOW its doing it. I mentioned to the service rep and the mechanic what I read in this forum, and about the steering rack being replaced to fix it. "Never heard of that before" and just looked at me like I was from Mars. Any help would be appreciated. PM coming soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #222
vela123321
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98759
What I Drive: 1987 VW Vanagon

FF Reputation: 1 vela123321 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by vela123321 View Post
So my car is suffering from this "zig-zag" issue, and it's making my 115 mile commute very fatiguing. I sent a PM to FordCustomerService and a case file number was promptly opened. I was impressed with the speed of FordCustomerService's response to my asking for help, but it unfortunately stopped there. The Regional Customer Service Manager for my area contacted me, but has been little to no help. I could tell 1 min into the conversation that this was going to be much different than the issues I've had resolved on my other non-Ford cars. I very much want to like Ford, but this isn't a great start.

In the end, when I mentioned this forum, the service manager said it wasn't relevant and I needed to just bring the car in for a diagnoses. It was a very circular conversation, but he did ask "what can I do?" which was a good start. I didn't get any direction from him, so I finally said, "well, how about you read this link to the issue and help me set up an appointment with my service center next week. I'm out of town on business." I didn't hear any reply. I finally called and he basically hadn't done anything and didn't have any guidance for me. I didn't get the impression he was going to follow up with me. In the end, he said for me to call the service center and bring the car in and explain the problem to them. My concern was that I'd bring the car in and have a tech say "this is normal" and I was hoping they would smooth the way for an easier resolution to the problem. I guess I'll now just go to the dealership and I hope they'll deal with this correctly. I called the dealer service manager this morning, but I haven't gotten a call back yet...

I just want this issue resolved. It's unsafe and it's uncomfortable for these commutes.
IT'S FIXED !!!!

"FordCustomerService" was quick and responsive in opening a case number for my issue, but it was of little help. I appreciated the attempt, but it didn't help because the regional CSM didn't come through. He either couldn't act as an intermediary or he didn't understand my concerns. It was frustrating. I knew it could be a challenge to get something like this fixed if 90% of the people drove the car. If you go around the block, most people would say the "car is normal. That's how it drives." It's not until you go a long distance on the freeway that you realize it's not normal.

Anyway, despite the CSM contact, I was incredibly pleased with my service rep from Kearny Pearson Ford. Tim listened to what I said and he spent the time to get it right. He remembered a similar issue from months before and went back to find the customer information and resolution. When he tried to get it done to my car, Ford was reluctant since they said the service bulletin applied to earlier job one builds. Long story short, Tim got me a new steering gear and the car is a new car! I can make my 100+ mile commute and I'm not exhausted and tense. THANK YOU TIM....

This is my first Ford, and I want to like the car, so I'm very pleased that this turned out like it did.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #223
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
IT'S FIXED !!!!

"FordCustomerService" was quick and responsive in opening a case number for my issue, but it was of little help. I appreciated the attempt, but it didn't help because the regional CSM didn't come through. He either couldn't act as an intermediary or he didn't understand my concerns. It was frustrating. I knew it could be a challenge to get something like this fixed if 90% of the people drove the car. If you go around the block, most people would say the "car is normal. That's how it drives." It's not until you go a long distance on the freeway that you realize it's not normal.

Anyway, despite the CSM contact, I was incredibly pleased with my service rep from Kearny Pearson Ford. Tim listened to what I said and he spent the time to get it right. He remembered a similar issue from months before and went back to find the customer information and resolution. When he tried to get it done to my car, Ford was reluctant since they said the service bulletin applied to earlier job one builds. Long story short, Tim got me a new steering gear and the car is a new car! I can make my 100+ mile commute and I'm not exhausted and tense. THANK YOU TIM....

This is my first Ford, and I want to like the car, so I'm very pleased that this turned out like it did.
It's a great car. I am pleased that your problem has been resolved. Enjoy your ride!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #224
peridigm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103341
What I Drive: 12', Ti wrapped

FF Reputation: 1 peridigm Good Standing Member
I got my car back today after dropping it off Monday. It was in for 3 issues but I'll keep this post about the steering issue. I drove about 120 highway miles today. The car drives SO much better. I no longer have the ping pong effect.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #225
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
For those of you who have had your rack replaced...how sensitive is the steering now? Mine is ridiculously sensitive and every imprefection in the road causes the steering wheel to move in a different direction. The wandering/sway at highway speeds is fixed...but now my steering is ultra sensitive. I do not like this at all. Before this, I was able to keep the car driving straight with one finger even over bumps and grooves, now I need both hands on the wheel because the car is constantly following the grooves or bumps in the road, so I am always having to correct. It is worse at LOW speeds now.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #226
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicbluz View Post
I'll be sending you a PM soon Crystal and thank you in advance...
Sonicbluz,

Iím Cory, the new Ford Service representative on the forum. Iíve sent you an update; please see your inbox for my message.

Quote:
IT'S FIXED !!!!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peridigm View Post
...I drove about 120 highway miles today. The car drives SO much better. I no longer have the ping pong effect...
vela123321 & peridigm,

Iím really glad your dealer took care of your concerns ; thanks for posting the updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
For those of you who have had your rack replaced...how sensitive is the steering now? Mine is ridiculously sensitive and every imprefection in the road causes the steering wheel to move in a different direction...
I see youíve already been escalated, Some Guy From NY. Itís important that youíre happy with your ride, so please donít hesitate to PM me with any details you want forwarded before the next follow-up call.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #227
jlaves
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107597
What I Drive: 2013 Black Focus

FF Reputation: 1 jlaves Good Standing Member
Ping-Pong driving

I just picked up my 2013 Focus SE with the 17in wheels last week. I absolutly love it, with one caveat: I noticed that it is very hard to correct direction at highway speeds due to "notchy" steering feel. When I try to stay in lane, the steering gives me initially artificial resistance, which totally goes away when I push harder. It's a bear to drive straight. Kinds feels like a broken PS3 steering wheel that I have.
My dealer is looking at next week. Thanks for all the help here on the board helping me to articulate this.
Joerg
Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #228
Sonicbluz
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100495
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus s

FF Reputation: 1 Sonicbluz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaves View Post
I just picked up my 2013 Focus SE with the 17in wheels last week. I absolutly love it, with one caveat: I noticed that it is very hard to correct direction at highway speeds due to "notchy" steering feel. When I try to stay in lane, the steering gives me initially artificial resistance, which totally goes away when I push harder. It's a bear to drive straight. Kinds feels like a broken PS3 steering wheel that I have.
My dealer is looking at next week. Thanks for all the help here on the board helping me to articulate this.
Joerg
I wish you better luck than I had. My case was escalated and I took a long drive with my service manager. My focus does the exact same thing you described. The result: "That's normal" He said the rule of thumb is if the car does not fully change lanes in 7 seconds... its ok. really? really? He felt it drove ok and there's nothing else I can do atm. I guess its kinda the same as people with DCT problems, if a car isn't towed in, w/e is wrong is "Normal" I'm sure ford saves a lot of repair costs that way.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #229
peridigm
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103341
What I Drive: 12', Ti wrapped

FF Reputation: 1 peridigm Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicbluz View Post
I wish you better luck than I had. My case was escalated and I took a long drive with my service manager. My focus does the exact same thing you described. The result: "That's normal" He said the rule of thumb is if the car does not fully change lanes in 7 seconds... its ok. really? really? He felt it drove ok and there's nothing else I can do atm. I guess its kinda the same as people with DCT problems, if a car isn't towed in, w/e is wrong is "Normal" I'm sure ford saves a lot of repair costs that way.
Take it to another dealer, then another, and another until they fix it. I know it's a hassle, but based on your description, it will probably need the rack replaced to make it right. Mine has been a pleasure to drive since the rack was replaced. Feels like a totally different car. I don't see how a dealer can right off something as normal or no problem found when most of the steering issues require distance and highway speed to feel it. Usually they will only drive it around the block or down the street. Sounds like their just lazy.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #230
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
For those of you who have had your rack replaced...how sensitive is the steering now? Mine is ridiculously sensitive and every imprefection in the road causes the steering wheel to move in a different direction. The wandering/sway at highway speeds is fixed...but now my steering is ultra sensitive. I do not like this at all. Before this, I was able to keep the car driving straight with one finger even over bumps and grooves, now I need both hands on the wheel because the car is constantly following the grooves or bumps in the road, so I am always having to correct. It is worse at LOW speeds now.
Yep. Exact same issue here!.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->