Need help identifying problem with engine. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
blendededge
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96969
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 blendededge Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Red face Need help identifying problem with engine.

Greetings fellow fanatics,

I hope you guys will be able to shed some light on a problem with my SVT. Car was running fine, then the next morning it wouldn't start. It would crank and felt like it was going to start but didn't. Was not a battery issue, got a brand new one a few months back. Then I had a "great" idea, I started to turn the ignition to see it the fuel pump was priming, I couldn't hear it as loud as usual. I must have turned the key maybe 10 times, then I decided to try to turn on the car. BOOOOOM!!!!! I almost crapped my pants and smoke everywhere!!

The intake manifold blew up. I guess that answered my question about the fuel pump:( $900 bucks later, intake manifold was replaced. Car starts now, but is running hot! After a few minutes idling the exhaust heads start to glow a little red. There was no code thrown by the computer and the mechanic checked the timing and confirmed it was correct. I think he mentioned compression was low across all cylinders, but i don't have the exact info on that yet. Will get this info tomorrow...

He doesn't seem to know what the problem could be. Tomorrow I'll be going to the shop so I'd like to give the mechanic some of your theories on this. I appreciate any help.

Was running Tom's tune, but switched back to factory after the explosion. No mods other than hi flow cat and 67mm throtle body from cfm.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,994, Level 100
Points: 50,994, Level: 100 Points: 50,994, Level: 100 Points: 50,994, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I will be glad to help if you can send me about a 8-10 min idle log with starting the log then the car
My guess is a Vac leak and a datalog would confirm this , about the only other thing that would make the headers glow is timing retarded from the cams or VCT

I wouldnt guess I would do a datalog and see whats happening

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
blendededge
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the quick reply Tom. I will definitely do a data log with the Predator and send it to you. I am happy you can help.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
blendededge
Focus Rookie

I got the car back from the shop. Seems to be working alright maybe with slightly more vibrations when accelerating. Did not notice the headers getting red hot. Temperature on the dash reads normal as well, however i did find some trouble codes not indicated by the check engine light.

Codes are:
P1131 Lack of HO2S11 Switch - Lean
P1132 Lack of HO2S11 Switch - Rich

Anybody know what it means? Thanks s lot! Will send the data log over to your email Tom. Hopefully you'll be able to make some sense of it.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,994, Level 100
Points: 50,994, Level: 100 Points: 50,994, Level: 100 Points: 50,994, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Could mean anything , shoot me a datalog , do the log after you clear the batt for 5 min then start the log then start the car

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.