Cold tranny problems - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
ImmortalKenny
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48448
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ImmortalKenny Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Cold tranny problems

So I bought an '02 SVT with 44k miles a couple months ago, it's been a great car so far except for this one problem. When it's been sitting outside overnight in the cold, it's nearly impossible to put the tranny into any gear the next morning. However after driving the car for 10 minutes or so when everything's warmed up, you can't even tell it had shifting problems.

I feel like I'm going to break something trying to put it in gear when it's cold. This can't be good on the tranny either. The only thing I've done so far is swap out the transmission fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax. However the fluid that came out was the factory Ford "honey" transmission fluid, so it's not like the previous owner put the wrong stuff in.

Any input?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Indy'sexclusiveZx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 65419
What I Drive: 2013 tuxedo black st

FF Reputation: 7 Indy'sexclusiveZx3 Good Standing Member
How was it shifting before you swapped fluid
Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
ImmortalKenny
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy'sexclusiveZx3 View Post
How was it shifting before you swapped fluid
I'm not sure if it's placebo, but the Synchromax fluid improved the shift feel by a little bit.

It didn't do anything for the problem I'm having though. It was the same before the fluid swap.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Id wonder if the purple wasnt for colder climates, i know ford makes sure their fluid is made for colder running tempertures.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
Ok how cold though? I didnt see the AZ by your tag
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Joseph Baker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106879
What I Drive: 2001 E4 focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Joseph Baker Good Standing Member
Its normal. The gears in a manual trans are splash lubricated which means that the greas need to start moving to be lubricated because while sitting all the fluid falls to the bottom of the pan and when its cold it also gets a little thicker. With that purple fluid I would see and really check and see if its ok for your trans. Most of the time putting different fluid in a trans can do damage over time. So putting the fluid that was in would most likely be your best bet
Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
ImmortalKenny
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Baker View Post
Its normal. The gears in a manual trans are splash lubricated which means that the greas need to start moving to be lubricated because while sitting all the fluid falls to the bottom of the pan and when its cold it also gets a little thicker. With that purple fluid I would see and really check and see if its ok for your trans. Most of the time putting different fluid in a trans can do damage over time. So putting the fluid that was in would most likely be your best bet
I switched the transmission fluid over to RP Synchromax to see if it would fix the problem that the factory transmission fluid could have been causing. I mean, I could switch the fluid back to the OEM stuff, but it probably won't fix anything.

I chose RP Synchromax based on recommendations from other SVT and Getrag owners.

So for those who have SVT's in colder climates than Arizona, do you also get the same problem?
Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Joseph Baker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106879
What I Drive: 2001 E4 focus zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Joseph Baker Good Standing Member
I have never heard of this stuff but I'm sure there are a few other fluids you could use but most transmissions only work best with OEM fluids
Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just happened to me a week ago in WI, after the car sitting overnight with temps in the 20's. I turned the car on no problem, went to reverse, and found the shifter would only easily move forward and back between 3 and 4 which are the at rest gears (no side to side movement). I'd read about shift linkages disconnecting on the trans housing so I removed the intake and airbox housing to look at the trans and linkage (first time for this) and saw that both linkages appeared to be still attached. You can manually move the linkages like this and I was able to shift it in the back and forth way, but not side to side, but both linkages were definitely securely attached.

I took off the shifter boot and looked things over, everything still attached, but something was still binding and it felt like it was from the shifter itself. I sprayed down all the mechanical contact points/linkages (including the shifter base) with Liquid Wrench white lithium grease (doesn't freeze) and it freed up and now shifts better than it has in quite awhile. I don't know if this is really a permanent fix but it definitely solved what I thought was a bigger problem, and one that I'd encountered for the first time.

So I'd suggest taking off the shift knob and shifter boot and having a look at the shifter mechanism itself, something in there was binding for me and greasing it helped.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
ImmortalKenny
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Baker View Post
I have never heard of this stuff but I'm sure there are a few other fluids you could use but most transmissions only work best with OEM fluids
I might switch back to the OEM fluid if nothing else works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
Just happened to me a week ago in WI, after the car sitting overnight with temps in the 20's. I turned the car on no problem, went to reverse, and found the shifter would only easily move forward and back between 3 and 4 which are the at rest gears (no side to side movement). I'd read about shift linkages disconnecting on the trans housing so I removed the intake and airbox housing to look at the trans and linkage (first time for this) and saw that both linkages appeared to be still attached. You can manually move the linkages like this and I was able to shift it in the back and forth way, but not side to side, but both linkages were definitely securely attached.

I took off the shifter boot and looked things over, everything still attached, but something was still binding and it felt like it was from the shifter itself. I sprayed down all the mechanical contact points/linkages (including the shifter base) with Liquid Wrench white lithium grease (doesn't freeze) and it freed up and now shifts better than it has in quite awhile. I don't know if this is really a permanent fix but it definitely solved what I thought was a bigger problem, and one that I'd encountered for the first time.

So I'd suggest taking off the shift knob and shifter boot and having a look at the shifter mechanism itself, something in there was binding for me and greasing it helped.
It's worth a shot, thanks for the suggestion. I recently replaced the shifter arm and that one small bushing (links below) to free up some slop, so I know they're not the culprits.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordshifterar...70focus-1.aspx
http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordshifterbu...t170focus.aspx

Bookmarks & Social Networks