2012 HID Thread (Info Only No Arguing) - Page 32 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #311
TitaniumGero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88508
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 3 TitaniumGero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed_2.0 View Post
You want best HID conversion kit for a good price?

$150 for EVERYTHING.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3955

5 YEAR WARRANTY
35w Ballast
Comes with "Can-bus" relays (prevent "bulb out")
They always include a How-to instructions when you order

If you beg the differ then stick to the cheap stuff. I've been using Morimoto equipment for over 4 years and I have NEVER had any of their products fail on me (longest set I've own was 3 years). On my 00 Civic EM1, 04 CT9A Evo, 96 S14 Kouki Silvia, 10 C170 Focus.

You can open your headlight housing with only a heat gun, I will say it will take HOURS to open both sides and clean off all the factory sealant. Easiest way is 300F for only 10 minutes in an oven, Once it gets hard to split open then start using a heat gun.

If you check out the MK2 Focus subforums, I was the first to put up a How-to retrofit your headlights and all my equipment was from TRS.com. Only Morimoto's.

When I end up retrofitting my ST's headlights I will only use Morimoto equipment. From the Relay to the Capsule. With that being said, I'm currently in the process of getting a crappy headlight for only $25 bucks shipped and experimenting with it and see if it is possible to open these up without damaging it. I will have a "how to" write up during my experiment.

Any 35w Ballast will need resistors. You will need 6 Ohm 55w resistors on EACH side. As for the 55w Ballast, you will not need resistors since it's consuming the full 55w as if it was a halogen.
Would you know if this kit would stand up to extreme cold? Right now it's -46C wind chill where I am. I was running a DDM kit until it reached -15C and just gave up on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #312
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
So you still need resistors with the Morimoto can-bus relay error cancelers? Or are they completely plug and play ready to go?

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #313
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

And is anything needed with 55w ballasts compared to 35w? I have 35w in my house but gave up on the install.

I don't plan on buying 55w ones but if I did, do I still need the can bus error canceller?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #314
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox-y-GenIII View Post
So you still need resistors with the Morimoto can-bus relay error cancelers? Or are they completely plug and play ready to go?
Quote:
And is anything needed with 55w ballasts compared to 35w? I have 35w in my house but gave up on the install.

I don't plan on buying 55w ones but if I did, do I still need the can bus error canceller?
It's been mentioned a couple times here that the can-bus cancellers will not work. Don't get them. The resistors, a relay harness, and the actual HID kit are all you need.

With the 55w ballasts, you should get everything I just mentioned above.

There is at least one person in this thread claiming resistors are not needed for the 55w ballasts, but a few others calling BS. I haven't tried a 55w setup so I can't verify one way or the other.

However, I will say that since resistors are cheap as hell that you may as well spend the money just in case. No need to stop your install and wait for resistors to ship if you end up needing them.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #315
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

See, I have the harness, the HID kit, and I think just one resistor that cane with the harness. I'm so confused on how to set it up I gave up. I have read I need 2 resistors, is that correct? One for each side?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #316
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
See, I have the harness, the HID kit, and I think just one resistor that cane with the harness. I'm so confused on how to set it up I gave up. I have read I need 2 resistors, is that correct? One for each side?
You can make do with one if you have a relay harness that's only using one relay for both lights. Darketernal3 explained the method best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darketernal3 View Post
Not necessarily.
It kinda depends on what kind of relay you have, and if all you care about is functionality.

1) If you have independent relays, where each headlamp signal controls a separate headlight then yes, you'll need an individual resistor for each headlight. The relay I had uses the driver's side lamp signal to activate and the passenger side was left plugged into the resistor and grounded. Both lights would be switched on regardless if the passenger side had a resistor or not.
2) If you did not put a resistor on the passenger side, or the resistor occasionally didn't impede the current; like mine before I redid it. You will get a bulb dip error. The lights will still turn on, but the bulb dip will come on every time you turned on your lights. If that doesn't bug you, you can go without the passenger resistor.

Edit: I bought my relay from retro-solutions, the original link provided.
So you would only use the resistor on the passenger side, connected like in the retro-solutions diagram. The relay harness on the driver's side that would connect to the resistor in the diagram instead connects to the factory bulb harness. The rest of the connections are pretty straight forward from there.

Make sense? I'm personally running individual relays for each headlight so mine is setup exactly like in the diagram. It seems like this method has worked for a few people, but I have not tried it.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #317
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumGero View Post
Would you know if this kit would stand up to extreme cold? Right now it's -46C wind chill where I am. I was running a DDM kit until it reached -15C and just gave up on me.
I have the same kit, and while it's FAR superior to a DDM kit, I don't know that it will survive those temperatures. I would expect it to last longer, but there is no cold-weather testing I have seen.

Perhaps e-mailing The Retrofit Source may give you a better answer?

They may have customer feedback from areas where the weather gets down to those temperatures.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #318
Grifftech2K13
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107460
What I Drive: 2013 OW SE Hatch loaded w/ Blk Pk

FF Reputation: 1 Grifftech2K13 Good Standing Member
Hi all, I am getting a 2013 today and I am wondering if what is mentioned in this huge thread will work to upgrade mine to HIDs? If so what brand are you using? There is so much to read through I figure I might just ask first off :)
Old 12-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #319
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Well I have the next 5 days off, I may try to I stall them again. Hmm.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #320
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifftech2K13 View Post
Hi all, I am getting a 2013 today and I am wondering if what is mentioned in this huge thread will work to upgrade mine to HIDs? If so what brand are you using? There is so much to read through I figure I might just ask first off :)
Yes, you can use the same equipment.

You have some reading to do

Bookmarks & Social Networks