2013 Hatcback question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
ttownvstrom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107461
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy hatchback 5sp mt

FF Reputation: 1 ttownvstrom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Hatcback question

I'm a new owner of a 2013 5 door Focus, I've had it a little more than a week and I love it. I've been driving a 07 and 11 Ranger since 06 and while I really liked my Rangers the Focus is amazing to drive. My question is on my sticker it says my car has fold flat rear seats, is this true or does my version of flat and Fords differ. I can't figure how to get any where near flat and I can't figure out how to get the center headrest out even. I look at the manual and I'm totally lost but me and directions on anything don't get along. Any body have any words of wisdom for a dummy? Terry.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownvstrom View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2013 5 door Focus, I've had it a little more than a week and I love it. I've been driving a 07 and 11 Ranger since 06 and while I really liked my Rangers the Focus is amazing to drive. My question is on my sticker it says my car has fold flat rear seats, is this true or does my version of flat and Fords differ. I can't figure how to get any where near flat and I can't figure out how to get the center headrest out even. I look at the manual and I'm totally lost but me and directions on anything don't get along. Any body have any words of wisdom for a dummy? Terry.
The seat base flips forward and then the seat back folds completly flat unless you have the 16" full size spare wheel and tire.

Oh and remember to take the outboard head restraints first as the seat won't fold flat otherwise.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
^What suss said.

But also, you don't need to take out the center headrest - just the side two. You might also need to move the front seats forward to get the seat base to go forward enough to get the seats down all the way. As suss said, the seats will be flat, but the trunk area would be higher if you have the full-size spare.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
ttownvstrom
Focus Rookie

I hopeyou guys don't think I'm real stupid, but do you mean flip the seat base forward first then flip the seat back forward. Forgive me I've been driving pickups for a long time.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
I hopeyou guys don't think I'm real stupid, but do you mean flip the seat base forward first then flip the seat back forward. Forgive me I've been driving pickups for a long time.
Yes, the seat base pulls up and flips forward, then you remove the two outboard head restraints (you can also remove the center one, but this isn't as necessary to get the seat folded.

Then you depress the two buttons on top of the rear seat back (one at a time) and lower them to tilt the seat back forward to fill in the space vacated by the rear seat base which was flipped vertically to stand behind the front seats.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
jsr72
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97393
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 5 jsr72 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Try this. It's a sedan, but works the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giv_Gdes_cg
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
ttownvstrom
Focus Rookie

Thanks I feel like a dummy. I now realize how bad my salesman was he didn't know how to do it either.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
...do you mean flip the seat base forward first then flip the seat back forward...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
...But also, you don't need to take out the center headrest - just the side two...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Yes, the seat base pulls up and flips forward, then you remove the two outboard head restraints...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr72 View Post
Try this. It's a sedan, but works the same...
ttownvstrom,

I see everyone already jumped on this one (thanks, guys!).

For those interested, the instructions for the rear seats start on page 181 of the 2012MY Focus Owner Guide 5th Printing.

You can grab a free downloadable copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
clogan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93793
What I Drive: 2008 Roushcharged F-150 Screw,

FF Reputation: 1 clogan Good Standing Member
You have no doubt figured it out by now, but the front seats must be slid somewhat forward in order to have room to flip the rear seat bottoms. For long-legged drivers, is a bit of a toss up as to whether to maximized leg room, and forsake the flat rear, or to sacrifice leg room in order to flip/flatten the rear seats. That's where the 60/40 rear really helps. The rear can be flipped on the passenger side, but not on the driver side, thus giving the tall driver the maximum leg room.

And by the way, our rear head rests have now taken up a permanent position on my garage shelf. Folding seats is easier, and rear visibility is no longer blocked. Of course, we rarely, if ever, have rear passengers, so that is not a concern.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
moarmoto
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106724
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Metallic MK3

FF Reputation: 1 moarmoto Good Standing Member
I've had mine for about a month, but haven't yet folded the backseats. I should try.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->