Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ... - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #91
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusNoire View Post
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but does anyone know how CR rated the Chevy Cruze or the Mazda 3? Just curious...
Chevy Cruze scored well overall but I believe reliability was average.
The Mazda3 scored alright but reliability was above average.

I think all the cars in this class are reliable except the Focus and Dart due to the DCTs. Any car with a DCT is trouble unless that specific transmission has been out for a while. Look at VW, they had such issues for a long time with the DCTs. after almost a decade they have come around.

correct me if I'm wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM   #92
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Perhaps I'll post more in another thread, but, ironically, Car and Driver named the Focus to its 10-Best list (for reasons we all know very well) but also cited the automated manual as a dud, and had less than kind words for MFT elsewhere in the magazine.
Maybe that's what is really maddening about the car...it has so many great features that owners really love...in many ways it feels like a more expensive car (even the midmarket SE loaner felt good)...but then there are the relentless problems in certain areas. Arghhh.
Moon
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #93
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
umm bullshit...wana explain what else is unreliable about this car other than the DCT?

and yea, MFT is great. A bit laggy but its absolutely fantastic otherwise, and SYNC voice has always been on point.
I'm sorry...so the clutch/transmission being generally terrible is not *ENOUGH* to call the car unreliable? Are you serious? You realize that if either the clutch or transmission has issues your car is not going to drive, right?

There's a reason every major review site/blog/magazine has blasted both the DCT and MFT systems. As I said before, your experience might be wonderful, but the Focus line is unreliable, as a whole, because most people *are* having trouble with one or both of these things.

Also, the MFT system isn't just "laggy". There are times it disconnects my phone (iPhone 5) and won't reconnect until I restart the phone. It's not a problem with the phone, it's a problem with the MFT system keeping the bluetooth pin in the buffer and thinking it's still connected, even though it's not. In addition, switching to other inputs sometimes forgets what you were doing there and randomly chooses another favorite from the list (or sometimes just a random radio station). Sometimes it disconnects the USB stick that's plugged in and won't read from it again until the system restarts (could be 4-5 days between restarts).

That's not just "laggy", that's "buggy" and it's something that should have been solved by testing before releasing.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #94
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I'm sorry...so the clutch/transmission being generally terrible is not *ENOUGH* to call the car unreliable? Are you serious? You realize that if either the clutch or transmission has issues your car is not going to drive, right?

There's a reason every major review site/blog/magazine has blasted both the DCT and MFT systems. As I said before, your experience might be wonderful, but the Focus line is unreliable, as a whole, because most people *are* having trouble with one or both of these things.

Also, the MFT system isn't just "laggy". There are times it disconnects my phone (iPhone 5) and won't reconnect until I restart the phone. It's not a problem with the phone, it's a problem with the MFT system keeping the bluetooth pin in the buffer and thinking it's still connected, even though it's not. In addition, switching to other inputs sometimes forgets what you were doing there and randomly chooses another favorite from tGhe list (or sometimes just a random radio station). Sometimes it disconnects the USB stick that's plugged in and won't read from it again until the system restarts (could be 4-5 days between restarts).

That's not just "laggy", that's "buggy" and it's something that should have been solved by testing before releasing.
Not denying there are issues, but if "everyone" or even most or lots of people were having trouble with the DCT it would have received CR's "much worse than average" rating rather than "worse than average".

CR's readership is heavily biased toward those that view cars as appliances: this group expects the DCT to behave as a normal automatic and would be more likely to complain than most, I suspect.

The DCT is imperfect, especially in early builds, and the dealer network was clueless. But I think Ford is gradually getting things under control and I expect a large majority of owners are satisfied with it.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #95
Quantos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100622
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Sedan Focus Man.

FF Reputation: 1 Quantos Good Standing Member
I can only base myself on what people here are saying, but if we extrapolate the population of these forums to the overall population of mk3 foci, we can probably come to the conclusion that most people have a DCT over a MT, and that an unknown, but definitely not so small proportion of those DCT users have had issues. We can't really know just how bad these issues are for each user. I mean, it probably ranges from people that had numerous dealer visits because of the DCT, to people that find it merrily not very good, but stand it. Perhaps the issues have been resolved, but such huge issues still leave a scar on the feeling people will have a of a car.

Still, it does seem a bit dumb to give a car (or any product for that matter) a seemingly definitive rating for the partial failure of one of its components. One basic concept of customer support is that disappointed customer are much more vocal than happy ones. For all we know, the proportion of faulty DCT might be very small, but the proportion of people with faulty DCT that actually complain about it very high. Incidentally, do we have any statistics on the satisfaction rates of DCT over a large poll of foci owners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
The DCT is imperfect, especially in early builds, and the dealer network was clueless. But I think Ford is gradually getting things under control and I expect a large majority of owners are satisfied with it.
If anything, I would fault Ford much more for the fact that dealers were so clueless, and not the issues with the car itself. The amount of people that stated here that the dealers did essentially nothing, and straight out lied to their faces stating something along the lines of "herp derp, your DCT / MFT is working as per standards, we can't do anything" is incredible.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #96
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantos View Post

If anything, I would fault Ford much more for the fact that dealers were so clueless, and not the issues with the car itself. The amount of people that stated here that the dealers did essentially nothing, and straight out lied to their faces stating something along the lines of "herp derp, your DCT / MFT is working as per standards, we can't do anything" is incredible.
Either my car wouldn't misbehave while in the dealer's hands (a possibility, since the problem was intermittent) or I was stonewalled on the issue.

Even tho' the car may not have acted up in their hands, I described extensive symptoms that, at some point, should have started to sound familiar...eventually, the dealer and FoMoCo agreed that there was an issue and addressed it. It seems much improved, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
BTW, based on magazines and reading here, I avoided the MFT. The SYNC system has actually worked pretty well, especially since the clockspring was replaced.
Moon
Old 12-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #97
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Either my car wouldn't misbehave while in the dealer's hands (a possibility, since the problem was intermittent) or I was stonewalled on the issue.

Even tho' the car may not have acted up in their hands, I described extensive symptoms that, at some point, should have started to sound familiar...eventually, the dealer and FoMoCo agreed that there was an issue and addressed it. It seems much improved, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
BTW, based on magazines and reading here, I avoided the MFT. The SYNC system has actually worked pretty well, especially since the clockspring was replaced.
Moon
My sync with myford (not MFT) system just locked up again completely for at least the second time in 7 months, both of the incidients I can recall having occured within the last 30 days afaik.

Last time it booted into the radio and wouldn't respond to the voice command paddle to reset it to the USB input where it was left before for at least a few minutes, then it started to work normally after giving me the silent bong for the advanced voice commands after about the fifth or sixth time of shifting between radio and aux in.

Today it started on USB where it was left but after skipping through a few songs it locked up at 0:00 on a song and was not responding to the play/ pause commands nor the skip track commands. Shifting it over to radio and trying to get line in to work didn't do anything either for at least 1-2 minutes, and by the time it finally let me get to the voice command structure and the button had responded it went to triple repeat the word USB before actually starting the USB.

That's not to mention the times its started normally but on radio instead of usb when left on USB and the stick had not been removed at all, or the times when it will suddenly stop outputting audio on usb until after its switched to cd or radio and back again.

Its slightly less annoying than MFT, but its starting to show its issues more and more.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #98
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Very often, mine acts like a PC that's suffering from 'processor hang'. After idling for several minutes in the driveway listening to Sirius, I touched the button to change to FM. Nothing. I touched it 4 more times. Nothing. About 15 seconds later, I hear 5 'bongs' and the FM button toggled between FM1, FM2, & FM3 four times before finally stopping. It does the same thing when I'm on the home screen and touch the button to bring the entertainment section to full screen. Is this an indicator that I need an update, or is it just a POS slow processor? Build date: 5/2012.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #99
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
Is this an indicator that I need an update, or is it just a POS slow processor?
DelayedReboot is a beautiful thing.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #100
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
DelayedReboot is a beautiful thing.
There is no delayed reboot type app for the regular sync system however, so that won't solve the issues with sync/myford.

It refused to do anything for a bit today and then when it finally started listening it said USB three times before shifting back to playing from USB.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->