Which Ford Focus for autocross - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yup the 2.3 is lighter ... but even rarer to find than the SVT.

I do agree with the low-end grunt, but a bit of tuning and you should be good to go. Get the torque back, lose the top end and competition here we come.

I drive my SVT for STF, and I love it ... especially now that the Civics are out of the class. But to tell you the truth, as many have said before, it's not all the car, it's of course the driver as well. Car helps, but it takes guts and talent to hold the speed through a corner after a tight slalom.

I have taken out the Civics back in standard ST in the years before a couple of times, so if I would have been more brave and setup the car just a bit more better ... I think I would have had them fully.

Good luck on your choice and finding a car.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

TeamFocalize Head Honcho

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

OFFICIAL FOCUSFEST PHOTOS POSTED:CLICKY HERE TO SEE THE AREA OF PHOTOS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
SVTisRight4me
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105772
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVTF 3 door#1009 in 2004

FF Reputation: 1 SVTisRight4me Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
get a svt. great autoX cars. already very upgraded
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
I have run succesfully for years a stock engine 2001 ZX3 for auto-x. Lots of trophies for this car. Mind you it puts down 109whp on the dyno.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 12-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #14
MacDubois
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101240
What I Drive: 09 SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 MacDubois Good Standing Member
I have been thinking about this for a while. Well, ever since STF was announced. I think my choices would be:

1: 2008 Focus S coupe
2: 2005 D23 ZX3 (2005 because it's easier to get decent off-the-shelf suspension easier than the 06+)
3: Early ZX3 (even lighter than the coupe, but not by enough to overcome the disadvantages IMO)
4: SVT Focus (I don't know any MY differences, so whichever low option model you can find)

Why the S Coupe?

The S coupe was dropped after 2008, the SE and SES models had options, which add weight. I'm guessing the steering wheel buttons, spoiler and the SES fogs are probably more than 30lbs, and the sync system is probably heavier than no sync.

The coupes were the one of the lightest Focii. 2008 coupe (2588lbs), 2005 D20 ZX3 2654lbs (D23s are heavier), SVT Focus 2750lbs. And I'm guessing that the coupes have more to lose in STF trim too. I'm betting those airbag seats are heavy.

They also have aluminum brake calipers for slightly less unsprung weight.

And they have the stiffest chassis; Ford added a dash bar.

So, 100+lbs lighter, stiffer chassis, lighter brakes and the same 3.82 gears as the 2.3 ZX3s. I think that outweighs a 9hp and 18lb*ft deficit.

Would a fully prepped Focus be enough to beat Andy Hollis in his 2100lb (prepped weight) Mazda 2 of doom? I think on a bumpy-ish, open, not-slalom-heavy course, you could have a chance.

Disclaimer I'm neither and autocross expert nor a Focus guru, so if any of this information is inaccurate, that sucks.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

lol at your last statement. No worries, that's why we are on the forum to either learn more information or to help others not in the know.

So, you are trying to beat out a really decked out Mazda2 ... we have a real great driver in our division here in Houston, TX ... well actually 2. One drives a very very heavily modified Mazda2 and the other guy a Mini. And I drive my SVT Focus. To tell you the truth, we are all leap frogging each other each month. This year I took them out more than they me, so for the year, I won on the points.

Though the Mazda2 is much lighter than the focus, our power and weight distribution help lots. I haven't weighed my SVTF in a while, but I know I am around the 2700 marker.

If you go with the 08, make sure you get a tune. The last person in our group drove an 08 at AutoX and the tune just killed him, not exactly sure why, but when I drove his car for one of the runs, it just didn't pick up as well as my SVT.

To tell you the truth, it's all about the driver. There is a very fast lady in H-Stock that is beating out of the competition in her VW Rabbit. Very quick. And not very far from us in STF, with out racetires (which they can use in Stock class). She is on Direzzas.

Ray

TeamFocalize Head Honcho

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #16
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Oh ... and I found the photo I took of his car.

Ray

TeamFocalize Head Honcho

Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #17
MacDubois
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101240
What I Drive: 09 SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 MacDubois Good Standing Member
Andy Hollis was the 2012 solo national champion in STF. I haven't seriously autocrossed in 4 years (about the time I met my wife). He is the least of my worries. Also, not in my region, so I'm not too worried. Also, I'd bet he jumped on the 2 for the contingency money as much as the performance.

When I get back into autocross (hopefully this season?), it'll be in my SES coupe. I agree with you on the tune though. Drive-by-wire not my favorite.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

FF Reputation: 30 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
An SVT focus made it onto page 124 of this months muscle mustangs and fast fords.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using FF Mobile
Old 04-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #19
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i like the idea of the 08 coupe. and for even more grunt you could find the ford racing 4.06 final drive. the diff in the mtx 75 could be interchanged for different ratios dependent on engine . (iirc there are about 3 or 4 factory gearsets, and last i remember this wasnt too hard to do) you sir have my wheels turning, which is a bad thing...
Old 04-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDubois View Post
2: 2005 D23 ZX3 (2005 because it's easier to get decent off-the-shelf suspension easier than the 06+)
There is no D23 ZX3 from '05, unless you are talking engine swaps. Starting in 05, only the ST sedans came with the D23 (05-07.) The 03-04 ZX3's with D23 and manual transmissions are pretty rare.

Bookmarks & Social Networks