Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ... - Page 6 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #51
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 7 valmundo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is the same magazine that TRASHED the iphone 4 /4s. While it is true that there is a subset of folks here who have had issues with the DCT and MFT, I think CR needs to do a better job with their evaluations.

For example, based on the posts that I have read on this board, it appears that a majority of the cars with DCT problems were some of the earlier build cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #52
revhigh
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98516
What I Drive: 2012 Mazda 3 SkyActiv 6A Touring

FF Reputation: 1 revhigh Good Standing Member
I'm guessing if CR gave the Focus a glowing rating ... that most here would be saying ... "see ... even CR, whose data comes from ACTUAL OWNERS, says our cars are great ... I love CR ....", but since CR identified two OBVIOUS trouble spots (that every other reviewer has as well) and gave the car a black circle ... they now suck. I don't know of ONE publication that gave the DCT or MFT good reviews .... NOT ONE. If you do ... LINK IT here please.

From my experience, looking back on the last 20 years or so of my car ownership, and comparing the data in CR vs my personal experience .... their data has been dead on perfect in terms of trouble areas, and approximately when they occur.

Regarding the veterinarian's comments ... I wholeheartedly agree with CR on that as well ... I've switched vets twice in the last 5 years for the exact reasons that they explain. Maybe YOU don't run your business that way, but MOST VETS DO. Rather than whine about the veterinary review, the veterinary association would be better served changing their practices to giving reasonable animal care, and not employ the totally unnecessary cash-sucking practices that many vets employ.

REV
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #53
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
There's too much bickering and parsing of words going on for my taste. In summation here's my take on it. As a person who's made a career of managing investments let me just say, cars in general, are not considered "investments". They are in fact a depreciating asset. There are exceptions to every rule, even with regard to investments. I should point out that investment grade automobiles certainly exist, but they are limited generally to exotic cars, classic or antiques. An example....a few years back a 1961 Ferrari 250GT California hit an all time high selling price of $10.9 Million dollars. Obviously there are other investment grade cars that occassionaly hit the market, just as an expensive painting by Renoir, Monet, Van Gogh, etc. might occasionally turn up at a Christies or Sotheby's auction. So what have we learned? Yes, cars can be an investment, but in the context of what this forum is dedicated to, the Ford Focus; it does not qualify as an investment... traditionally speaking. People often use the term investment in a very generic sense and that's about as close to investment grade that the Focus will ever come.

Having said all that, the point about minimizing depreciation isn't lost on me. The object is to retain as much value as possible, while at the same time getting the use out of the car. I'd also like to point out that even a 5 year old living room sofa has some value. Same is true with cars. We use them, they depreciate and eventually we replace them. Last I checked my Focus doesn't wash my clothes, clean my dishes or keep my perishable food from spoiling, so I stop short of referring to it as an appliance.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #54
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
Statements like the above -- the words "yanked out of the oven a few minutes early" -- just don't convey the right sense of impending doom. Consumer Reports tends to be more blunt in their assessments.
''chattering clutches" causing vibrations up the steering column should be a big red flag.

Another huge red flag being all the Fiestas that had blown up DCTs early on in service

You are right CR is very blunt though
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
Consumer Reports is a god damn joke anyway.

Honestly, does anyone look to that trash for advice when purchasing a car? Really?

Not trying to defend my purchase, but it's pretty widespread knowledge that CR is garbage. Besides, who cares? Enjoy your purchase, in my opinion, its all a part of the car buying experience. You're going to lose money no matter what.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
MJ-

You're right about the reality of losing money (depreciation) the moment you drive the car off the lot. That's true regardless of what make/model you buy, however the point I think that some are making is that the CR reviews only exacerbate the issue.

There is something else that I'd like to mention about C.R. though. As opposed to car magazines, what makes CR unique is that #1 they do not accept advertising #2 they are supported 100% by subscribers who pay for their analysis/reviews #3 CR actually PURCHASES all of the cars that they review, meaning CR owns the cars that they review. When they are done with their long term analysis, CR sells their cars. In comparison, car mags certainly have their share of subscribers, but the majority of their revenue stems from advertising dollars paid for by auto manufacturers. The manaufactures also "lend" the magazines automobiles to evaluate/review. So for those reasons alone, CR is seen as objective and unbiased in their reviews. If CR gives a bad review, what consequence is it to them? They lose nothing. On the other hand if a car mag pisses off the executives of some car company, who's to say that they wouldn't pull their advertising and move to a different publication? Having said all that I read Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile AND Consumer Reports.

In the case of the Focus I think all the publications are in agreement. The DCT and MFT are two problem areas which need improvement. I for one do not think MFT or DCT is the major distaster that some are making it out to be. Both need to be tweaked and refined somewhat, but overall I think both are worthy of keeping and can be perfected over time.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #56
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Tom, hard to argue with any of that.
My sincere hope is that the problems in my particular Focus are resolved. Ford's biggest sin was too much haste in getting the cars into consumer's hands without these issues being resolved.
Moon
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #57
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Tom, hard to argue with any of that.
My sincere hope is that the problems in my particular Focus are resolved. Ford's biggest sin was too much haste in getting the cars into consumer's hands without these issues being resolved.
Moon
Moon, for your sake, I hope Ford successfully resolves all of your car issues. I think everyone would agree that would be the best possible outcome out of what I know is a very frustrating, inconvenient, not to mention time consuming ordeal. I went through the same thing about 12 years ago myself with a brand new car. I had problems from the very first day...the first 15 miles of ownership if I recall correctly. Long story short I tried and tried and tried and despite the fact that the car spent more time at the dealer for repair than in my own garage, the issues were never resolved. Eventually I filed a lemon law claim and I got all of my money back, so beleive me, I completely understand what you're going through.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #58
ChrisRyan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97815
What I Drive: '12 SE Sterling Grey(5door) 5M 203A

FF Reputation: 2 ChrisRyan Good Standing Member
I have to agree with Rev. Aside from the two most bitched about issues on this forum (DCT & MFT) the MK3 is a solid piece. Yea you get some first year model issues with trim and other gremlins but that has got to be expected to some degree. To those who are getting done wrong by Ford not righting what they should you have my sympathies 100%, I've been through it (other manufacturer) and it frustrates you to no end. I read the article from C/D I believe that recommended the SE sport with the manual to sidestep the DCT. I read about the troubles with MFT on this forum and optioned to not have it. I wish my AC was colder and my struts didn't clunk but I love driving my car regardless. My ole lady has a 2010 Fit and they said its good on most all things but its slow. Well they got it right. I don't get why so many people get up in arms about what somebody else has to say about the car.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #59
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I am not a fan of CR for different reasons, but if I'd say "don't sweat about it", what would you say ?
I would agree with you.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #60
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyike View Post
I would agree with you.
If CR was out there all by itself, I'd be in full agreement.
But such is not the case, and trying to make it all go away because CR got it wrong is like whistling past the graveyard.
Whatever affection we feel for Foci, there are some legitimate issues that FoMoCo needs to address.
It is self delusion to think otherwise.
Moon

Bookmarks & Social Networks