Focus Fanatics Forum banner

koke's turbo kit build

28K views 186 replies 20 participants last post by  jinstall 
#1 · (Edited)
ok some of u guys already know who i am, some dont lol first of all i used to had a 08 focus but it was stolen awhile ago so i fund a 05 st with alot of goodies (cossie cai, cossie im, magnaflow 2.5 exhaust, f2 header tuned by fswerks) for very cheap, anyways i was gonna turbo my 08 focus so i got some parts and decided to turbo my st as well :) here is the parts i got and have:

*3" magnaflow exhaust
*vaccum manifold
*fswerks intercooler
*60lbs siemens inyectors
*synapse bov
*intercooler pipping from ebay 2.5" hotside, 3" cold side
*diablo sport mafia
*turbo smart ultragate 38 wastegate
*ebay cast turbo manifold for a mazda3
*holset hx35 turbo
*exedy stage2 clutch with lightweight flywheel
*oil sandwich plate for oil feed line
*3" custom down pipe (cut and tack by me welded by a muffler shop)
*aem wideband
*jdm (ebay) boost gauge
*custom t25 to t3 turbo adapter

here are some pictures of the setup at the moment everything is bolted in and installed

much up and install of the intercooler on early stages

cold side with bov

hotside

godspeed turbo i was gonna use vs holset hx 35

wastegate turbosmart ultragate

sandwich plate installed

down pipe early stage

dp painted and welded

dp wraped

o2 bung

manifold with custom adapter

bov

turbo with sandwich plate

turbo kit finished

dp muck up fit test

wg

intake

See less See more
#34 ·
Lol yeah man it really sucks :(
Posted via FF Mobile

#35 ·
I hear ya. im waiting for xmas so I can run more psi because im still confused on how to run a return fuel, some say get a fuel cell and don't worry and others say make your own basket to fit in the tank with dual pump......*CONFUSED*

#36 ·
Lol that's confusing :s so many different opinions, what's the limit on the stock fuel system? Hp or psi wise
Posted via FF Mobile

#37 ·
well there is no limit psi wise I guess...its more on just fuel pressure. think of it this way the more psi you put into the engine the more pressure you need to equal the added pressure induced into the engine. most the time people will tell ya that its 350whp that the stock fuel system can handle. I know jim got like 380 on his but he was a freak lol

#38 ·
Lol cool and it's the same fuel system between the zetec and duratec ?
Posted via FF Mobile

#40 ·
Oh ok so I can upgrade my fuel pump with a walbro cause iirc there are some problems with that fuel pump in a focus right ?
Posted via FF Mobile

#44 ·
just outta curiosity, why such a huge turbo for such small numbers? I'm not knocking your build at all, just think that you could sell the holset (laggy turbo to begin with), get a much smaller setup that would spool faster, and be better utilized for what you're aiming for.

powerband > #'s.

#45 ·
Is not that laggy it starts spooling @ 3k and full spool is @ 3.7k ish and this is for now I want to build the engine next year. And nobody that I know has ever put a holset in a focus and the dsm guys have seen very good results with it so will see how well it does :)

Posted via FF Mobile

#46 ·
YOU have hit full spool @ 3.7k? Or the turbo is advertised at hitting full spool at that? The dsm guys also have MUCH better flowing heads that help spool. Not to mention some of them rev to the moon. Friend of mine had this turbo on a srt4 with supporting flow mods, and the dyno looked like a honda hitting vtech. The turbo hit HARD and held through redline, but the spool was terrible.

#47 ·
Me, and the dsm's heads don't flow that well comparaded to the 2.3 head
Posted via FF Mobile

#48 ·
my friend ran the same turbo on his 1.6 mr2. it will be fine. i would rock it. but i would deff be running 20-40psi range lol.

also you cant just add a walbro to focus with out going return they arent designed to be pulse width modulated. stock pump and bap to 350whp. after that return fuel system. its up to you weather you go with stock tank dual pump or a fuel cell. i had no luck with stock tank

#52 ·
Lol Maybe next year when I build the engine

Posted via FF Mobile

#53 ·
Update: I got the advantage 3 in te mail today and the cold side pipe I was missing now I just have to install the inyectors and to take the car to get tune next Wednesday :) I can't wait, the synapse bov sounds awsome I have everything hooked up boosting 4 psi but don't worry guys I'm haven't wot the car or any crazy sh..t just cruising arround afrs are steady @ 12-13
Posted via FF Mobile

#55 ·
I'm having some problems hooking up the boost controller anyone knows how to hook it up? It's a turbo smart ultragate 38? And yes I will take a video

#56 ·
Ok tomorrow is on I just hook up the boost controller and I schedule my dyno tune session on speed factory in the morning I will take some pics before I go there

#58 ·
Bad news guys I went to get the car tuned and I had trouble with the sct advantage software and when we made it work it turned out my car almost overheat so my tuner only dial in the inyectors and made a drivable tune I have to check out my head gasket to see if it's ok :( If not I will start working on it so next week I can go to finish tuning my car

#60 ·
Yeah man it sucks but I gonna do a leak test tomorrow I hope is the thermostat or something else if not I will order tomorrow the head bolts and head gasket to start taking the head off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.