2012 SEL Trunk Lid Strut Weak - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 SEL Trunk Lid Strut Weak

My 18K miles SEL's trunk lid strut has weakened. Up until recently, the truck lid would pop fully open immediately and hold on the level or on an incline. I was impressed with its function.

While on a recent road trip, I bumped my head while reaching in for my luggage and noticed that the lid was about 4 inches from being fully open. When I closed it to take a load into the room and then returned, it would open to only about 6 inches from fully open. When I pushed the lid up manually, however, it would hold in that position. Later, when I parked in one lot on a not too steep nose up incline, I noted that the trunk lid would only open about half way, and that it would not stay open when I pushed it up - I had to hold it open with one hand to get it above my eye level.

I noted this to the dealer when I got my oil changed last and the tech opened it up once and left it saying it worked fine, no defect, no leak down. I told the service manager that it would often open fine after being left for a time unopened, but when closed and opened again, it would not open fully and I mentioned the incline droop. The manager said that if the part goes back to Ford and they find it okay, they will deny the claim. She would order the part anyway though and call me when it is in. She just called me, the part's in and it will be installed tomorrow morning. Nice work Sandy at The Ford Store.

You might want to keep an eye on your Focus trunk lid. BTW, there are helper springs on each side and these are the primary opening force for the trunk lid, assisted by the single strut. There are two types of springs for the Focus, a stronger spring if you have a spoiler installed. I'm thinking that if this happens again, I might just get the stronger springs.

1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
I have an sel and i dont have struts holding up the trunk lid. Are u speaking about the hatch? Ive previously owned many hatches n never called them trunks. Just askin'. :)
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
No Sedan. The Sedan pops it open
Is it cold? The low temperatures may lower its pressure
Old 12-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phokus View Post
No Sedan. The Sedan pops it open
Is it cold? The low temperatures may lower its pressure
There are two springs, one on each side, and a single strut on the driver's side. It is a sedan. Yes, it's been frigid here in the SF Bay Area, 45 last night. When I first noticed the condition, it was 87 degrees in early November in Barstow CA.

Last edited by flingwing1969; 12-14-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
mutiger93gt
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97617
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SFE

FF Reputation: 1 mutiger93gt Good Standing Member
I haven't had any issues with my sedan trunk lid. I have the spoiler and it pops open each and every time. Its been chilly here in MO around 30 degrees F.

Dual Clutch Transmission = Junk.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiger93gt View Post
I haven't had any issues with my sedan trunk lid. I have the spoiler and it pops open each and every time. Its been chilly here in MO around 30 degrees F.
They replaced the strut with no problems. The trunk now opens fully and holds open - but not as strongly as it did when I first bought it - I was always very impressed with how strongly the trunk lid opened and held. I'm thinking I might wire together three or four of the spring windings on each side to strengthen them.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
They replaced the strut with no problems. The trunk now opens fully and holds open - but not as strongly as it did when I first bought it - I was always very impressed with how strongly the trunk lid opened and held. I'm thinking I might wire together three or four of the spring windings on each side to strengthen them.
That lasted a day or two - probably only a delusion anyway. The lid now opens not quite a well as it did before and sags just a bit more than it did. On a mild nose high slope the lid must still be held open or it sags and stays at mouth level. I had received a call from the shop's customer service survey person and told them that, while I was well treated and got prompt and efficient service, I was still faced with a poorly opening trunk lid. The next morning, I got a call fro The Ford Store asking me to get in touch with them to make it right.

I took my son-in-law in to pick up his F250 SD and showed my problems to the service adviser and a body shop tech. They agreed it wasn't right but it was puzzling, this being probably the least complicated mechanism on the car. There can only be two causes, weak strut or weak springs - strut was replaced, springs are on the way.

If it's the springs, it can only mean that the steel was not properly tempered so there must be others like this out there.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
bengtc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145113
What I Drive: 2013 Gray Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bengtc Good Standing Member
Is anyone else having this issue? On any slight incline the trunk will not stay fully open for me(1/2 open state). I've been hit in the head a couple times, also on a really windy day I had the trunk fully open and the wind pushed it to about 1/2 open state.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtc View Post
Is anyone else having this issue? On any slight incline the trunk will not stay fully open for me(1/2 open state). I've been hit in the head a couple times, also on a really windy day I had the trunk fully open and the wind pushed it to about 1/2 open state.
I took mine in with the same issues and they were going to get back with me on the possibility of heaver springs but I never did get any action from the dealer. There are two springs listed for the trunk lid, with and without spoiler. My guess is the with-spoiler springs are stouter due to the extra weight. I might order a set.

In the meantime, I reduced the springs' lengths by about 20% using heavy duty zip-ties to compress them - two ties per spring. I still consider the springs to be weak in the same circumstances you describe, but it is much better.

I'm thinking I might do a complaint to NHTSA - I have bumped my head at least three times.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #10
bengtc
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 145113
What I Drive: 2013 Gray Titanium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bengtc Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
I took mine in with the same issues and they were going to get back with me on the possibility of heaver springs but I never did get any action from the dealer. There are two springs listed for the trunk lid, with and without spoiler. My guess is the with-spoiler springs are stouter due to the extra weight. I might order a set.

In the meantime, I reduced the springs' lengths by about 20% using heavy duty zip-ties to compress them - two ties per spring. I still consider the springs to be weak in the same circumstances you describe, but it is much better.

I'm thinking I might do a complaint to NHTSA - I have bumped my head at least three times.
I have the spoiler on my trunk and the springs are really weak so not sure if they would be any better for you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks