Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ... - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #21
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I like MFT (a lot) and it serves me well 99% of the time. If I listened to their opinion and didn't get MFT, I wouldn't enjoy driving my car as much as I do.

Why do you hold the opinions of some CR writers so highly?
I 100% agree with you on this. Even with some of the minor headaches MFT gives, I wouldn't trade it back. My car read me a text message the other day while a friend was in it, and the look of shock on their face was freakin priceless!
HN #167
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #22
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

Points 758, Level 14
Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14 Points: 758, Level: 14
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Funny - since finding this site, I would consider everything on this site before any mag story where the writer only had a short period of time with this car.

And even after reading this entire site, I still went forward and purchased my '12 Ti with MFT.

And I'm still happy with that decision.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #23
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
I've had 3 different versions of transmission software in my car, each update requiring a dealer visit. I've had 4 different MFT versions in my car, one requiring a dealer visit. I can't be the only one that's gone through this, and this is just the indisputable reliability issues where Ford comes out and admits problems and a fix. CR is spot on.

Those who argue the DCT is good are just buying what they're being sold by Ford. Just like in the 90's and early 2000's where Detroit kept focusing on gas guzzling giants despite the consumer market requesting something more fuel efficient. You're convinced you need the DCT just like people were convinced they needed large vehicles. Consumers want a fuel efficient smooth shifting transmission. The Fusion has it. The Camry has it. The Civic has it. Why not the Focus? "Well MY DCT works just fine!" -- Great, but when you pan out the problems with the Focus vs the competition, the Focus's DCT is terrible in the reliability segment, whether your car is fine or not.

And to those who try to discredit CR, whether CR's opinion is valid or not, millions of consumers reference CR as fact and use that when shopping. That influential power alone makes CR's opinions worth something.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #24
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
So if I understand this correctly, the Focus scored well in areas like engine, body integrity, brakes, electrical, etc. but because of a small ding for the DCT and a big ding for MFT the entire car gets a full black spot? Even though MFT is an option? I've never understood this about CR and can't help but think there's a hidden agenda out there.

Actually, I'm delighted the DCT score that well, based on the posts here.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #25
misfire

Fan#: 31379
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatch, 2014 Mazda CX-5

Points 16,942, Level 83
Points: 16,942, Level: 83 Points: 16,942, Level: 83 Points: 16,942, Level: 83
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 31 misfire Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
I may be contributing to the 'much worse than average' rating soon. Yesterday, on my way home from work at around 3:45pm, I looked down and noticed that my clock said 10:09. Re-set it when I got home and it sat all night.

Got in it this morning at 6:20am to go to work. It said 10:15. Re-set it again. Today at noon, it was still correct, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with passing the stroke of midnight. If it's wrong again tomorrow morning, to the dealer we'll go. All my station pre-sets are still there, and my phone connected, so this is a head-scratcher.
there is a technical bulletin from Ford to fix this by reflashing the APIM
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
So if I understand this correctly, the Focus scored well in areas like engine, body integrity, brakes, electrical, etc. but because of a small ding for the DCT and a big ding for MFT the entire car gets a full black spot? Even though MFT is an option? I've never understood this about CR and can't help but think there's a hidden agenda out there.

Actually, I'm delighted the DCT score that well, based on the posts here.
You are greatly underestimating the problems of the DCT. There is a reason almost unanimously EVERY car review gives the DCT a bad review. These are car mags that review hundreds of cars a year. There are other DCT's out there which do not act like ours. Not to mention the problems with the seals failing and the parts being backordered (because most likely thousands if not tens of thousands will have to be replaced). Yes, Ford is covering the repair, but this should not be happening in the first place. Even after the repairs people are experiencing a grinding sound. Not good. My family has owned many Ford's in the past, I myself owning 2 other Ford's (2002 explorer, 2006 escape) with no issues besides regular maintenance.

This Focus seems to have major problems transmission wise right out of the gate. Not a good start. As they say, first impressions are the most important.

I have not had a problem with my transmission yet at ~9,100 miles, but my steering is a POS after getting the new steering rack because of TSB 12-2-17. This too should not have happened.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #27
HuskyFocusSP
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105519
What I Drive: 2013 Candy Blue Trend

Points 130, Level 2
Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2 Points: 130, Level: 2
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 HuskyFocusSP Good Standing Member
Hey Guys I think the problems all stem to the fact that 90% of you have purchased the Automatic. In my opinion you should never buy a 4 cylinder as an auto. It's time to have a go and stop being lazy and start changing gears manually. I have the manual version and its awesome.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Let me try to address several of the responses:
-Cars as 'investments'; my notion has always been to buy wisely, take care of a car, and hope for a decent tradein 5 years later...obviously, you're going to lose money on it, but the object is to minimize the loss
-Vehicles as 'appliances'; if you hold your car and your refrigerator in equal esteem (well, the fridge does keep my keg cold), you must not take much pleasure in driving, or else you really like your appliances.
I have always loved my cars, especially after the POSs I drove in my youth. There are Sciroccos, a fulie CRX and a much-loved Wrangler in my resume.
-Criticism of CR/Carzines; let me say that I'm not a huge Consumer Reports fan, but have always found it a useful tool when car shopping, along with several of the car mags. I do try to do my homework before buying a car; it's just too damn much money, and you're stuck with it too long, to not have due diligence before the purchase. The amazing thing is the degree of correlation among all three on problem areas of the Focus; the transmission and the infotainment system are common threads here; the Carzines have had issues with the DCT and (despite some supporters here) you're hard pressed to find a kind word about MFT anywhere. Whatever flaws there may be in everyone's methodology, when everyone has the same problems, chances are that they really are a problem.
-Why the black dot? The tranny/MFT excepted the rest of the marks were positive; the huge drop in the 'audio system' and the prevalence of problems in 'trans. minor' may have been enough.
CR opened the Good/Bad discussion by observing how good Ford's ratings had been in the recent past (among the best with domestics) to problems across Ford's line recently.
Moon
Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFocusSP View Post
Hey Guys I think the problems all stem to the fact that 90% of you have purchased the Automatic. In my opinion you should never buy a 4 cylinder as an auto. It's time to have a go and stop being lazy and start changing gears manually. I have the manual version and its awesome.
You are preaching to the choir, and entirely right.
Now schedule some time to come teach my women to drive a stick. Believe me, I've tried; you may be more successful.
While the Jeep is strictly mine, there are times it would be hugely handy if someone else in the house could drive it, especially in an emergency.
Moon
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #30
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

Points 749, Level 14
Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14 Points: 749, Level: 14
Level Up 49% Completed
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
The DCT in mine smoothed out just fine around 7500 miles. It had to go through the learning process twice, when I bought it in March and after the TCM update around May/June.

As long as it stays the way it is I am happy to keep driving it.

As for MFT it's working ok, there's still a glitch here and there but it's fairly stable for the most part. I am glad I didn't get the NAV option because then I would probably really hate it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.