Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ...

The current Consumer Reports (3-series Bimmer on the cover) puts our Foci at the bottom of the chit list, with an ominous black circle as a prediction of the car if purchased either new or used.
For those unfamiliar with CR's symbols, this means a 'much worse than average' evaluation; in their 'best/worst' listings, the Focus is at the very bottom of the heap for 'small hatchbacks', with a reliability rating that tumbled by 170%.

This does not bode well for us now or at trade-in time.

A careful examination does explain some issues. All the other categories were either above or much above average with the exception of two: Transmission Minor, and Audio System.

The 'Transmission Minor' ('worse than average') largely seemed to address the electronic control of the tranny, altho' some of us have experienced troubles with the clutches themselves and larger problems.
The 'Audio System' ('much worse than average') took the worst of the beating, due to troubles with My Ford Touch; those of us who avoided it should be better served.

Absent the audio system rating, the car doesn't fare too badly, but for those of us who have already purchased a car, we're left holding the proverbial bag.

The magazine notes that, on page 20, "Only two years ago, Ford was Detroit's poster child for reliability. It cracked the top 10 among brands in our predicted reliability scores...Since then, reliability has dropped significantly and Ford is now next to last among the 28 brands in our survey..."

My own car has had work done on the clutches and electronic parts of the tranny, and I'm sincerely hoping that better days are coming.
Moon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 2,425, Level 29
Points: 2,425, Level: 29 Points: 2,425, Level: 29 Points: 2,425, Level: 29
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
I may be contributing to the 'much worse than average' rating soon. Yesterday, on my way home from work at around 3:45pm, I looked down and noticed that my clock said 10:09. Re-set it when I got home and it sat all night.

Got in it this morning at 6:20am to go to work. It said 10:15. Re-set it again. Today at noon, it was still correct, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with passing the stroke of midnight. If it's wrong again tomorrow morning, to the dealer we'll go. All my station pre-sets are still there, and my phone connected, so this is a head-scratcher.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I am not a fan of CR for different reasons, but if I'd say "don't sweat about it", what would you say ?
If I'd go for what the guys from the CR are saying is great to have, I'd have to go for a Corola. Not my type, though. People who build / publish their opinions based on other people opinions... hmmm. What do you think you'll get ? I've not seen (yet) a CR report about a car that was against what their "buyers" said about that car.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,191, Level 41
Points: 4,191, Level: 41 Points: 4,191, Level: 41 Points: 4,191, Level: 41
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
...but for those of us who have already purchased a car, we're left holding the proverbial bag.
How reliable my car is or how much I enjoy driving it has nothing whatsoever to do with Consumer Reports.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
mp223
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104161
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

Points 158, Level 3
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 mp223 Newbie
While Consumer Reports isn't what it used to be, Ford should be downright embarrassed at the terrible quality of Sync and MFT. Neither should be in Fords' vehicles in their current state. Absent the failing seals, I think the DCT issues are people not understanding how non torque converter automatic works. While the DCT may not be perfect, at least it isn't the abortion Sync/MFT is. Dealerships don't seem to be helping the issue either.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
wantz12
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89237
What I Drive: 2012 White FF Hatch

Points 2,610, Level 31
Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31 Points: 2,610, Level: 31
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 wantz12 Good Standing Member
Had nothing but good times with my car (minus the MFT woes, but more often than not, even that system puts a smile on my face). So CS and anyone who quotes CS as a "reliable source" can suck it
HN #167
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp223 View Post
While Consumer Reports isn't what it used to be, Ford should be downright embarrassed at the terrible quality of Sync and MFT...
I don't know if you really have or use MFT, but I suppose you haven't, because if MFT is terrible for you, I am affraid to ask how you find "Plans".
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

A rather knowledgeable fellow once said that, before buying a car, we'd do well to read Consumer Reports and Car and Driver.

I've always thought this was pretty sage advice; CR for their hardheaded-to-a-fault evaluation and reliability statistics, and one of the Carzines for a more emotional look at the driving qualities and other factors that make car ownership fun, and far different than buying an appliance.

Whatever faults you may find with CR, it's also hard to argue that the current gen Focus doesn't have some faults of its own, faults that should have been better researched before the car was sold to customers.

So shoot the messenger if you must, but our little Fords are great cars with some issues that really need to be addressed. I'll give Ford some credit for actively trying to address them.
Moon
Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Points 1,290, Level 19
Points: 1,290, Level: 19 Points: 1,290, Level: 19 Points: 1,290, Level: 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
The current Consumer Reports (3-series Bimmer on the cover) puts our Foci at the bottom of the chit list, with an ominous black circle as a prediction of the car if purchased either new or used.
For those unfamiliar with CR's symbols, this means a 'much worse than average' evaluation; in their 'best/worst' listings, the Focus is at the very bottom of the heap for 'small hatchbacks', with a reliability rating that tumbled by 170%.

This does not bode well for us now or at trade-in time.

A careful examination does explain some issues. All the other categories were either above or much above average with the exception of two: Transmission Minor, and Audio System.

The 'Transmission Minor' ('worse than average') largely seemed to address the electronic control of the tranny, altho' some of us have experienced troubles with the clutches themselves and larger problems.
The 'Audio System' ('much worse than average') took the worst of the beating, due to troubles with My Ford Touch; those of us who avoided it should be better served.

Absent the audio system rating, the car doesn't fare too badly, but for those of us who have already purchased a car, we're left holding the proverbial bag.

The magazine notes that, on page 20, "Only two years ago, Ford was Detroit's poster child for reliability. It cracked the top 10 among brands in our predicted reliability scores...Since then, reliability has dropped significantly and Ford is now next to last among the 28 brands in our survey..."

My own car has had work done on the clutches and electronic parts of the tranny, and I'm sincerely hoping that better days are coming.
Moon
This is a very interesting subject you chose to write about. Like you, I read the reviews from Consumer Reports while doing my own research prior to buying my Focus. The sad truth is I haven't read one positive article written about our cars as it pertains to FMT or DCT. Without exception, every car magazine has trounced the Focus in that regard. The criticism isn't without warrant as we all know. However I think it's important to keep in mind that Consumer Reports does revise their ratings periodically and future reviews may prove to be kinder as Ford works through the issues. We'll have to wait and see.

As far as resale value is concerned, you're right, the poor ratings certainly won't help with that. On the other hand, I don't know anybody who'd argue that the Focus has good resale value to begin with.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

I see a number of others have posted while I was responding.

Let me say that 'MFT' is the biggest sinner in the CR evaluation, with the proverbial Big Black Ball. Those of us who avoided the MFT (based on other evals we saw before purchase) are apparently better served.

There is a black half circle for 'Transmission Minor', apparently reflecting the computer issues some of us have experienced more than the clutch problems that have troubled my car and some others. 'Transmission Major' got a positive eval, leading me to hope that my own car problems are fixable.
We shall see.
Moon

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.