Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #81
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87167
Location: Hollywood, FL
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

Posts: 117
FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So is this related to the transmission acting up? The oil leak? Is it worth going under my car and looking and then telling my dealer?
BigFuzzyArchon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #82
xf7975
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86353
Location: Denver, CO
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Hatch

Posts: 44
FF Reputation: 1 xf7975 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
So is this related to the transmission acting up? The oil leak? Is it worth going under my car and looking and then telling my dealer?
After the oil leak was fixed on my Focus, the transmission shifts were much smoother and I no longer heard the rattling noise that previously occurred under certain speeds. Is the oil change due soon? If so, perhaps it can be checked then?
xf7975 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #83
BigFuzzyArchon
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 87167
Location: Hollywood, FL
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch Sport Package

Posts: 117
FF Reputation: 1 BigFuzzyArchon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
naw just had oil change, i can go under and look myself and if I see anything i can bring it in.
BigFuzzyArchon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #84
Silver 2012 Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93854
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus

Posts: 10
FF Reputation: 1 Silver 2012 Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xf7975 View Post
Nice, your dealership is quick.
Quick to diagnose - it is yet to be seen if they get the parts, get them installed correctly and get the car back to me. Time will tell.
Silver 2012 Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #85
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101801
Location: Champaign, IL
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

Posts: 170
FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A little sidebar regarding oil leaks:

Many manufacturers classify "leaks" in two ways. Leaks and seepage. Seepage is the wetness you'll often see around differential seals, front mains, driveshaft seals and it doesn't ever touch the ground. A very small amount pushes past seals and through the porosity of the case material. Seepage is considered "normal" in many cases and warranty repairs are technically forbidden. How your dealer responds to your concern and what they tell the manufacturer often differs from what the manufacturer would actually recommend, regarding seepage fixes.

Leakage is the same as seepage but it actually hits the ground


I always found this comical but it kinda makes sense. Most people are never underneath their car and those that are - more often than not have no clue what is and isn't supposed to be there....there is a reason your underbody isn't painted, chromed and covered in cute little plastic covers.

Furthermore producing millions of gearboxes, engines, differentials, transfer cases, etc with outsourced seals that have even greater production variance that seal every single drop of fluid for 5-10 years in every climate known to man is akin to government efficiency - it's just not gonna happen.
IH84DZ is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #86
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast
 
Some Guy From NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101517
Location: Brooklyn, NY
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

Posts: 493
FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH84DZ View Post
A little sidebar regarding oil leaks:

Many manufacturers classify "leaks" in two ways. Leaks and seepage. Seepage is the wetness you'll often see around differential seals, front mains, driveshaft seals and it doesn't ever touch the ground. A very small amount pushes past seals and through the porosity of the case material. Seepage is considered "normal" in many cases and warranty repairs are technically forbidden. How your dealer responds to your concern and what they tell the manufacturer often differs from what the manufacturer would actually recommend, regarding seepage fixes.

Leakage is the same as seepage but it actually hits the ground


I always found this comical but it kinda makes sense. Most people are never underneath their car and those that are - more often than not have no clue what is and isn't supposed to be there....there is a reason your underbody isn't painted, chromed and covered in cute little plastic covers.

Furthermore producing millions of gearboxes, engines, differentials, transfer cases, etc with outsourced seals that have even greater production variance that seal every single drop of fluid for 5-10 years in every climate known to man is akin to government efficiency - it's just not gonna happen.
If anything the seals are what should be inspected the most and held to higher specs because look at the issue with the seals failing in the DCT. A "cheap" & "small" part such as the seal is causing thousands of dollars in damaged parts and labor.
__________________
Mods: Drop in K&N filter, Steeda RSB, MS3 RMM, Remote start, Llumar tint, Ti engine cover, Husky floor mats, OEM splash guards
Some Guy From NY is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #87
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101801
Location: Champaign, IL
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

Posts: 170
FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
If anything the seals are what should be inspected the most and held to higher specs because look at the issue with the seals failing in the DCT. A "cheap" & "small" part such as the seal is causing thousands of dollars in damaged parts and labor.
And seal issues caused the same with the Edge/MKX's for years. I used to work for Ford and have a vested interest in seeing them do well but stuff like this happens. It happens to every manufacturer. If you build a hundred thousand pre-production models and test them from pole to pole in all climates around the world without issues - you eventually approve production. And every single time you will find things that ONLY happen when things are produced at higher volume and operated in climates that are as unique as the driver.

Perhaps it's not even a seal quality issue but rather an issue with how the seal is installed. I've seen seals that work perfect if installed by a machine in a jig and I've seen others that leak only because they were installed by a machine in a jig.

It's easy to play armchair quarterback and say "this should not happen". Few folks actually have the patience and willpower required to understand that no matter how rich and powerful a company (with HUGE competition) becomes, they have no interest whatsoever in making cheap junk that people don't want. It will be figured out. It will be fixed. It will require time.

Situations like THIS are why you have a warranty. Rogue exploding moonroofs, customer expectations of NVH and normal operating characteristics however are not.
IH84DZ is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #88
Silver 2012 Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93854
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus

Posts: 10
FF Reputation: 1 Silver 2012 Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
After 3+ days in the shop to fix the leak between the engine and the transmission, I have the car back. The paperwork does not specify that TSB 11-12-13 was performed but the text lists the steps that are in TSB 11-12-13 and the parts list is the same with one exception - the cluth assembly is BV6Z-7B546-B instead of BV6Z-7B546-A. I'm assuming since the TSB came out, the part was revised (hopefully for the better).

On the drive after picking the car up, I noticed the follwing:

1) The clutch was very grabby in the parking lot at low speed.
2) The transmission made no noise during any shift.
3) The shifts were a little harsh to start but by the end of the drive they had calmed down.
4) On my way home from work where I travel up and down different hills, the car did not seem to have difficulty with them - it seemed to be in the apprporiate gear and the transmission did not cause a shudder as it would have before the replacement.

Hopefully this is my last post on this subject. Only time will tell.
Silver 2012 Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #89
Dysan911
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95746
Location: Jacksonville, FL
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

Posts: 582
FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 2012 Focus View Post
After 3+ days in the shop to fix the leak between the engine and the transmission, I have the car back. The paperwork does not specify that TSB 11-12-13 was performed but the text lists the steps that are in TSB 11-12-13 and the parts list is the same with one exception - the cluth assembly is BV6Z-7B546-B instead of BV6Z-7B546-A. I'm assuming since the TSB came out, the part was revised (hopefully for the better).

On the drive after picking the car up, I noticed the follwing:

1) The clutch was very grabby in the parking lot at low speed.
2) The transmission made no noise during any shift.
3) The shifts were a little harsh to start but by the end of the drive they had calmed down.
4) On my way home from work where I travel up and down different hills, the car did not seem to have difficulty with them - it seemed to be in the apprporiate gear and the transmission did not cause a shudder as it would have before the replacement.

Hopefully this is my last post on this subject. Only time will tell.

Mine was the exact same way in every detail. This was a couple months ago and to this day my transmission shifts PERFECTLY!. It always matches speed with the right gear, never bogs and if you need to slightly increase speed it will upshift smoothly and holds the gears through acceleration. You should also notice it pulls way harder from full throttle or passing on the highway.

__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Platinum White Tricoat, Built 12/11, 401A + Parking Technology Package and MFT w/NAV at 3.5.1
Dysan911 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #90
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88299
Location: Torrance, CA
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Posts: 3,257
Points 4,216, Level 41
Points: 4,216, Level: 41 Points: 4,216, Level: 41 Points: 4,216, Level: 41
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 2012 Focus View Post
After 3+ days in the shop to fix the leak between the engine and the transmission, I have the car back. The paperwork does not specify that TSB 11-12-13 was performed but the text lists the steps that are in TSB 11-12-13 and the parts list is the same with one exception - the cluth assembly is BV6Z-7B546-B instead of BV6Z-7B546-A. I'm assuming since the TSB came out, the part was revised (hopefully for the better).

On the drive after picking the car up, I noticed the follwing:

1) The clutch was very grabby in the parking lot at low speed.
2) The transmission made no noise during any shift.
3) The shifts were a little harsh to start but by the end of the drive they had calmed down.
4) On my way home from work where I travel up and down different hills, the car did not seem to have difficulty with them - it seemed to be in the apprporiate gear and the transmission did not cause a shudder as it would have before the replacement.

Hopefully this is my last post on this subject. Only time will tell.
The adaptive learning should improve the clutch engagement after some amount of mixed driving.
Kabigon is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat