Nearly racked up my car yesterday - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nearly racked up my car yesterday

Headed out to work yesterday morning in my car (instead of on my motorcycle), because it was 26 degrees outside. In the center lane of a 6-lane divided secondary road (FM544 / Plano Pkwy, just west of Murphy for you locals), a Maxima gets in my lane ahead of me and proceeds to start hitting the brakes. I see nobody ahead of her, and there were no other cars around. Instead of joining her insanity, I changed to the left lane and began to pass. It's then I notice that we're both driving on a sheet of ice. My next thought is "typical Texas driver sees ice, and slams the brakes". We round a slight corner as I get about 1/2 car length ahead of her, when I notice a PT Cruiser sitting sideways in my lane, motionless. Realizing I'm on ice, I start out gently applying brakes....nothing. As the PT Cruiser is getting bigger and bigger, I slam the brakes, but ABS continued to keep all 4 wheels turning, so there's basically NO braking going on. At this point, I'm neck-and-neck with the Maxima, who I hope realizes what's happening and will be kind enough to move to the right lane. I see her SLOWLY move to the far-right side of her lane, and I inexplicably managed to thread the needle between the back end of the PT Cruiser and the side of her car. I was expecting some sort of impact, but none ever came. It was so close that, upon arrival at work, I actually did a visual inspection of my car for any scrapes, scratches, etc. Nothing. I remember seeing the ass-end of that PT Cruiser pass within inches of my mirror, and there was no airspace between my car and the Maxima.

Had I decided I was tough enough to ride the bike in 26-degree weather, I'd probably be dead.

I'd like to offer a special thanks to the City of Plano for neglecting to turn off the median sprinklers before a forecasted freeze. It's of utmost importance that we keep that brown, dormant grass watered.

That patch of ice made it on the local radio, with several accidents being reported. Thankfully, I wasn't one of them. Thank you to God, and to my Focus for being the capable, ABS-equipped car that it is. :-)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->