Accident not on carfax, Can i sell to carmax without issue? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Accident not on carfax, Can i sell to carmax without issue?

Curious i was in an accident with my 2 month old ford focus. It was 10k in damages to the car. Can i sell to carmax and do i have to say that i just got in a accident or anyhting or they just inspect it and give me a quote?> I checked carfax and shows nothing about the accident on there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
1hotfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 82813
What I Drive: 00' sedan

FF Reputation: 7 1hotfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
Curious i was in an accident with my 2 month old ford focus. It was 10k in damages to the car. Can i sell to carmax and do i have to say that i just got in a accident or anyhting or they just inspect it and give me a quote?> I checked carfax and shows nothing about the accident on there.
The right thing would obviously be to be honest, common sense.

But if you can get over on people and still sleep at night, then go ahead and not say anything.

If they can't tell it was in an accident, and all work done was done perfectly, then you will obviously get more $$ than if they find out it was in a collision. Especially a 10k$ worth of damage. Hell my new a4 had a tree fall on it and they repainted the whole car and fixed lots of damages and was 8k. Your car probably should be salvaged, so to be fair I'd tell the truth so buyers would know what there getting into.

But if your all about the pennies and the dimes, go ahead and lie.

What goes around comes around my friend.

P.S. I don't mean to be a douche, but if I bought a car that had 10k in damage and you tried to hide it, I'd look for you and find you. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using FF Mobile
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotfocus View Post
The right thing would obviously be to be honest, common sense.

But if you can get over on people and still sleep at night, then go ahead and not say anything.

If they can't tell it was in an accident, and all work done was done perfectly, then you will obviously get more $$ than if they find out it was in a collision. Especially a 10k$ worth of damage. Hell my new a4 had a tree fall on it and they repainted the whole car and fixed lots of damages and was 8k. Your car probably should be salvaged, so to be fair I'd tell the truth so buyers would know what there getting into.

But if your all about the pennies and the dimes, go ahead and lie.

What goes around comes around my friend.

P.S. I don't mean to be a douche, but if I bought a car that had 10k in damage and you tried to hide it, I'd look for you and find you. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using FF Mobile
No i understand, the cost was high because it was replaced all brand new parts nothing after market basically was front bumper back bumper hood no mechanical damage lots of cosmetics. SO basically all the parts are brand new and everyhting is fine. Im pretty sure the shop just charged up the butt because insurance was paying for everything anyways so they knew they would get 100% of the repairs paid.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
goingFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75386
What I Drive: 2005 CD silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 goingFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Definition of 'Caveat Emptor'
A Latin phrase for "let the buyer beware." The term is primarily used in real property transactions. Essentially it proclaims that the buyer must perform their due diligence when purchasing an item or service. Sell it "as is". But, I'm sure CarMax has seen many folk like you before, and will pick up on the "signs" quickly. Live easier and be forthcoming.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
SVTisRight4me
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105772
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVTF 3 door#1009 in 2004

FF Reputation: 1 SVTisRight4me Good Standing Member
if EVERYTHING about the cars driving and ect is like new and there is not affect on it after the accindent then dont worry about it. if there are some problems then u should tell them
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
It is highly likely that Carmax will know without you telling them.

Your car would be *most thoroughly* inspected before they make you an offer.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Everything is fine I just personally don't like the way it drives. Not as smooth. Still have the orognal warranty and everything nothing is wrong with it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
It is highly likely that Carmax will know without you telling them.

Your car would be *most thoroughly* inspected before they make you an offer.
Exactly... we don't have "Carmax" up here, but, I know when I trade a car into a dealer, one of the first questions they ask is "has the vehicle, to the best of your knowledge, ever been involved in an accident or repainted in any way....etc, etc.". They normally even get you to sign something to that effect. So, if you lie, and they find out later, well, the contract is null and void now... that's why so many on here try to get extra money from an accident due to future "diminished value", since, car dealers are now going to "lowball" their offer, no matter how minor the damage and how well the repair was performed.... sucks for you, the owner, but, its the game dealers play.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #9
redwake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100718
What I Drive: 00 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 redwake Good Standing Member
i'm sure they will buy it, if they notice something it will impact how much they will buy it for... car max is usually low on their trade ins and high on their sales around here.

i had better luck with the auto trader trader in program.

honest people win in the end.

My Car: http://tinyurl.com/8mpden8
Sr# 256.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #10
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Any professional used car buyer will have a paint thickness gauge. One pass over the car will reveal any painted, replacement parts or blending quickly. Your VIN is also stamped on parts all over the car, i.e. the bumper. They should check the VIN's for comparison.

Bottom line: You'll have tough time pulling a fast one on Carmax. If you say no and they say yes, it will be kind of awkward.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->