Rattling heat shield fix. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Ralliman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99721
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 Ralliman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Awesome idea, but how did you get the heat shield moved enough to get washers under the outer two bolt holes? I've got mine moving, but it hits the fans and won't come out far enough to really get anything under the outer holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
JBotone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78479
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 1 JBotone Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliman View Post
Awesome idea, but how did you get the heat shield moved enough to get washers under the outer two bolt holes? I've got mine moving, but it hits the fans and won't come out far enough to really get anything under the outer holes.
I was able to get all of them but the one on the far left. The aluminum bracket got in the way, I cussed and yelled for about an hour before I gave up. With the other 3 on the underside it holds nicely. The one on the far right should move enough to get it in position, you have to take your time and be careful but it's not too difficult. I slid the bolt from the back side, and it's close enough to sit it on the manifold. Lift the shield and keep it from knocking the washer off as you move it back.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
Ralliman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99721
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 Ralliman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBotone View Post
I was able to get all of them but the one on the far left. The aluminum bracket got in the way, I cussed and yelled for about an hour before I gave up. With the other 3 on the underside it holds nicely. The one on the far right should move enough to get it in position, you have to take your time and be careful but it's not too difficult. I slid the bolt from the back side, and it's close enough to sit it on the manifold. Lift the shield and keep it from knocking the washer off as you move it back.

I've got the washers (reusing the original bolts since Lowe's didn't have 10mm/5mm bolts), so I'll give it another try soon. I did find the source of my rattle-the shield's rusted away around the bottom bolts. I got the washers in place on both sides, locked down the top bolts with washers on the outside, and the rattle is completely gone!
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 10 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Gonna bump this, 'cuz I really want to do it, but I cannot for the life of me find the right size replacement bolts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm looking for "6 metric bolts 10mm head 5mm thread size", as in M10 x 1.25(?) x 5mm bolts right? I can't find a 10mm bolt with that short of a thread. I can't reuse the existing bolts because they are no longer 10mm due to rust, and I'll likely have to get "creative" when removing them.

I'm tempted to just wrap the header at this point, but I'm sure those bolts will be just as bad, if not worse, than these heat shield bolts...

In any case, my embarrassingly loud rattley heat shield must be fixed.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 73k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
qdenning
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77729
What I Drive: 2003, Screamin Yellow, SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 1 qdenning Good Standing Member
Nice work!!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #16
spiritvector
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 35734
What I Drive: Black 2004 SVT 3-Door

FF Reputation: 1 spiritvector Good Standing Member
Correction on heat shield fastener size

Just chased this problem down this weekend - the fasteners for the header heat shield are hex-flange head, M5 x 0.8 thread, 10mm long.

Marcus Mansfield
Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
ChrisRobin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46204
What I Drive: 04 silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 4 ChrisRobin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Along the same lines... how many heat shields are there that can start rattling?:

My header shield is solid as well as the one on top of the cat (held down by hose clamps). There's also the cat bracket but last I checked on mine, the hose clamp there is still solid.

What about the one near where the flex pipe bolts to? Does that one ever start rattling?

Bookmarks & Social Networks