Passenger side motor mount bolts break, engine drops into CV joints - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
SuperStockAMX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89501
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SuperStockAMX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Passenger side motor mount bolts break, engine drops into CV joints

Went over a speed bump s-l-o-w-l-y as I had wife and kids in the car (SVTF '03). On the backside of the bump I hear a "thunk" moved forward and could hear the CV joint was blown out. As I have not had an axle problem, I couldn't figure that out. Of course it was in a parking lot at night. Two-and-a-half frickin' hours later the tow truck comes. Delivered to shop. Ordered a new right side axle from CFM ($350, not a bad price an d in stock). Decided to get the 22mm / 25mm Eibach sway bars while I was at it :)
Next day took a closer look. Yes the inner joint was wiped out. Then we noticed the culprit. BOTH studs for motor mount to timing cover were sheared off! Engine was dropped at least 4" which crashed into the axle.
Is this a freak or common? These were FOMOCO studs. Is there a grade 8 available?
By the way; the new sway bars are awesome!!! I have Adjustable Koni's, The Eibach bars, Michelin Pilot SuperSports (225x45x17) and replacement SVT springs. I took it through my "test course" and it sticks much better but I now see it will spin in sweeping turns like it never did before. But I'm still going alot faster. TC was off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
pasta
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 62350
What I Drive: 2003 eap svt

FF Reputation: 5 pasta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (40)
wow glad family ok

never heard of that happening
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Wow that is crazy I've never heard of that happening before either. Have you had the timing belt replaced recently? Maybe who ever worked on it didn't screw the stud in all the way? That's the only way I could think of that happening.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
FullthrottleSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104762
What I Drive: 02 Ford Focus SVT Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 1 FullthrottleSVT Good Standing Member
ive heard that the toque on the svtf motor mounts are very sensitive. If they were over tightened (i believe those studs are like 40nm) then that could have been the reason
Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used to work on someone's SSAMX back in the mid '70s, I loved the crossram 2X4 bbl. setup on that car.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
mozerman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63529
What I Drive: 1988 jetta

FF Reputation: 1 mozerman Good Standing Member
Same thing just happened to mine. Pisses me off.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Deduce25
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95313
What I Drive: Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Deduce25 Good Standing Member
Happened to me too. Drivers mount was bad which took out the pass mount dropping the motor screwing up the cv shaft. Good news was it wasnt to bad to fix. Hardest part was finding the axle.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
SBK86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108959
What I Drive: 2004 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SBK86 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Damn, that's scary considering I rallycross my SVT. I'm going to check my torque now.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Deduce25
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95313
What I Drive: Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Deduce25 Good Standing Member
Long as your motor mounts are good it shouldn't be an issue. I knew my driver side was bad but was being lazy cause it was cold.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #10
SuperStockAMX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89501
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SuperStockAMX Good Standing Member
As the "un-luckiest SVTF owner" I am now replacing that right CV joint again (after the engine crunched the last one). Why? Not sure of the road racers technical jargon as I'm a drag racer but this freeway onramp is a slight corkscrew with a fair amount of pitch in each segment. I swear some highway engineer with a Porsche laid that one out! I've been on that many times and usually have to slow for traffic as it's two lanes that narrows to one lane. This last time I had it all to myself. On a cool night with maybe 5 miles on my summer Michelin Super Sports. I made it to (gulp!) on the last segment which has a slight left bend to it with road pitched, higher on the right. The back in started coming around counter clockwise. I tried to correct and it wasn't stopping. Back came around about 180* and I was in the gravel retention basin to my left sliding sideways at full left lock towards a V'd crash barrier. I said "Oh..snap! I'm going to t-bone that barrier!" The rear went another 45* or so and I missed it, now heading towards a street light on a concrete pedestal. Same thought as I grabbed the e-brake and through the tail around a little more and missed that obstacle and finally stopped.
Yes, feel free to call me a idiot!
Both windows were about 1/3 down and interior was full of dirt & dust. Got out, made a quick inspection and no damage except rock chips to right rear wheel. Decided I better get out of there before DPS arrived.
In driving over the next week I'd hear a thunk every once and awhile. Looked under car and couldn't find damage. Noise came and went. Finally I take it to the lube shop and said this thing has an intermintent thunk and I can't figure it out. So they put it on the lift and pull out a river rock the size of my open hand and almost 2" thick that was wedged between the axle & control arm! I probably had 100 miles driving with that big rock.
End of story it wiped the CV joint as it progressively got worse as I drove it. So it's been parked waiting on a commission check.
I'm wondering if there's a bigger / better CV joint that can be added?
And don't let your kids drive like this 53 year old bone head...

Last edited by sleepyboy; 04-28-2014 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Edited for the rules no speed allowed.

Bookmarks & Social Networks