2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle) - Page 165 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #1641
kc5rui
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97979
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kc5rui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I gave a FORD CSM user my info and my dealer experiance ended with "We cant find any problems with your car." As far as I can tell nothing was done by the FORD CSM on this forum. I also watched and read the computer screen that the Service Advisor used to see if there were any added comments from the FORD CSM user but I didnt notice anything. Also I have an open thread following my Oil Leak http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303246 and I havent seen a FORD CSM chime in yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #1642
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Itssssssssssssss BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!. My repairs on 6/4 to fix the clunk. Well with passengers you can start to hear the same familiar crap quality sound coming back. Not quite the intensity as before but I think give it some time. It seems to be on the drivers side now. Originally it was on the passenger side.

I'd like to try that "lipshurt" creditcard trick though. Is there any details on how to go about that?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #1643
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Itssssssssssssss BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!. My repairs on 6/4 to fix the clunk. Well with passengers you can start to hear the same familiar crap quality sound coming back. Not quite the intensity as before but I think give it some time. It seems to be on the drivers side now. Originally it was on the passenger side.

I'd like to try that "lipshurt" creditcard trick though. Is there any details on how to go about that?
Unbalanced loading in the rear seats exacerbates the problem for sure, especially if you have one large adult sitting in the right rear seat, with no one behind the drivers seat.
That's what I've noticed on my vehicle anyway...
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #1644
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
Unbalanced loading in the rear seats exacerbates the problem for sure, especially if you have one large adult sitting in the right rear seat, with no one behind the drivers seat.
That's what I've noticed on my vehicle anyway...
If I have a passenger in my front seat, the noise is reduced slightly, as well.

I'd like to remind anyone who is dealing with this issue to please complete this updated survey if you haven't already: http://goo.gl/yn5gM
Old 12-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #1645
quasireversible
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105686
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 quasireversible Good Standing Member
How long have some of you driven with this problem? Is there a limit to how loud it gets? It seems my noise is getting worse (louder and more frequent) by the week and I don't drive that many miles.

Are the cars safe to drive like this?

This is turning into an ultimately disappointing ownership experience. I'm considering going back to Honda via the certified-used route.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #1646
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've been driving around with it for approx 13,000. Other than when it quieted for about 200 after the TSB was applied its been the same. Mine isn't as bad or as loud as some describe. It's more of an annoyance than anything to me, especially when there's more than my GF and myself in the car. Then it's more an embarrassment.
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 12-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #1647
Lipshurt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92314
What I Drive: 2012 blue focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 Lipshurt Good Standing Member
Well before I added the credit card shim, my car wold rattle on every pressing of the clutch, every little bump, and sometimes just rattle along going down the street. That is of course until it got hot. About 10 minutes.

It's come back now a bit even with the credit card, but not nearly as bad. Mines wedged under the tower brace on the outboard side nearest the hood hinge. My passenger side has no room for a credit card, but I did wedge a knife blade under there. I would say that did nothing, but I had very little noise on that side anyway.

When it was bad, it was bad. Loud, loose, embarrassing, and gave the impression of something hat was not even SAFE. Like falling apart. But then it goes away when it gets warmed up good. Some smart car guy should be ale to figure it out just with that. I'm gonna call the guys on car talk on PBS....hey, we should all do that:) someone would get through I bet.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #1648
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
Well before I added the credit card shim, my car wold rattle on every pressing of the clutch, every little bump, and sometimes just rattle along going down the street. That is of course until it got hot. About 10 minutes.

It's come back now a bit even with the credit card, but not nearly as bad. Mines wedged under the tower brace on the outboard side nearest the hood hinge. My passenger side has no room for a credit card, but I did wedge a knife blade under there. I would say that did nothing, but I had very little noise on that side anyway.

When it was bad, it was bad. Loud, loose, embarrassing, and gave the impression of something hat was not even SAFE. Like falling apart. But then it goes away when it gets warmed up good. Some smart car guy should be ale to figure it out just with that. I'm gonna call the guys on car talk on PBS....hey, we should all do that:) someone would get through I bet.
Lipshurt,

In order to try this. Do I need to losen the bolts on the top of the strut tower to give enough room to slide the CC in?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #1649
rlfocus
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107125
What I Drive: 2012, silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 rlfocus Good Standing Member
About to bring car in first time for the 'clunk'

I've been reading over this thread for the past hour or so after finding it during a search for a solution to the clunking/low-pitch rattle problem my Focus is having. Needless to say, I'm not optimistic on the thought of my dealer being able to fix anything (my dealer alone is enough to make me think twice before getting another new Ford, but that's a different conversation).

Like everyone else here, it comes from the front-end under low speeds while going over minor bumps. It seems worse when the car is driving on an incline (up a driveway, down a parking ramp), when there are passengers in the back, or when I'm applying the brakes...any one of those three conditions seem to make the clunking more obvious. I haven't noticed it any more or less when the temperature varies, or after a certain number of miles driven. This noise has been around for over a year, and has not seemed to get any better or worse since it was first noticed.

The car is a 2012 SE, built sometime before June 2011, still under factory warranty.

I'm going to mention TSB 12-6-17, and that it seems to be related to strut/bearing/mount components. Would any of you approach the dealer any differently if you could start all over again as a first time customer for this issue? If so, should I mention anything else?

I'll report back and share what, if anything, they find out.

Last edited by rlfocus; 12-09-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added details to description of symptoms.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #1650
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Welp I loosened the 3 bolts on the top of the strut tower and slide a used gift card about 3/4 the way in there on my and tightened everything good. Hopefully that will have some good results.

Has anyone actually determined precisely what that clunking noise is?

Bookmarks & Social Networks