2013 engine "click click whir" (engine not running) - Page 14 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #131
MPHinPgh
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106369
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 MPHinPgh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybarman View Post
Yes. it does. I have a 2013 hatch with the 6 spd auto. Until somebody can show me an example of it hurting the car by actually wearing out a part, etc., I am not worrying about it. This car does a lot of things different than my old cars . . . so what?

Look, Ford says it is the shift motors. If you don't buy that explanation, then show us some proof the noise is coming from something else. I for one am open to another explanation, but it has to be more than just saying "i don't buy it". Or, if you agree it is the shift motors, but you think it is harming them, then show us anything to support that.
I have nothing to prove that it is hurting anything. Conversely, no one else has anything to prove there's not going to be a detrimental effect down the road.

Bottom line is...I would feel a lot better if they all did it. THAT would be pretty definitive. But I went up to the dealer, got my salesman to grab the keys for 5 different 6-speeds on the lot and opened them up. 2 made the noise, 3 didn't. None of the cars had the bump-shift (or whatever the correct name is) option. Why some, not others, and why for 3 minutes everytime you open the door (unless you start the car)? That's all I'm asking.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #132
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Reasonable questions. I do have the selectshift (or whatever it is called) and mine makes the noise.

If it is hurting something I figure it will eventually come back to Ford in the form of powertrain warranty claims.

Sent from my Obamaphone using FF Mobile.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #133
MPHinPgh
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Reasonable questions. I do have the selectshift (or whatever it is called) and mine makes the noise.

If it is hurting something I figure it will eventually come back to Ford in the form of powertrain warranty claims.
Agreed. I just hope if something DOES go wrong, it does it within 3 yrs/36K miles.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #134
slybarman
Focus Addict

Points 1,664, Level 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHinPgh View Post
Agreed. I just hope if something DOES go wrong, it does it within 3 yrs/36K miles.
Powertrain is 5 yr / 60k.

I bought a 7yr 100k warranty through my insurance carrier and IIRC it will only cost $300-500 (depending how soon I hit 100k). Pretty cheap peace of mind.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #135
MPHinPgh
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Powertrain is 5 yr / 60k.

I bought a 7yr 100k warranty through my insurance carrier and IIRC it will only cost $300-500 (depending how soon I hit 100k). Pretty cheap peace of mind.
5/60 makes me feel a little better. I should look into the insurance thing...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #136
slybarman
Focus Addict

Points 1,664, Level 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHinPgh View Post
5/60 makes me feel a little better. I should look into the insurance thing...
This is what I have. I am paying $29 every six months for it:

http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/...own-insurance/

If i hit 100k in 5 years, it cost me $300. If I hit 100k in 7 years it cost me $420. I know I wont pay more than $250 for a repair in the next 100k miles.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #137
Wondering
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107132
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Wondering Good Standing Member
I am replying to quite a few people, so I will not attempt to name names. I am writing because of all the comments regarding the "clicking" noises etc. on 2012 and 2013 Ford Focus vehicles-. I just recently (12/8/12) purchased a brand new Ford Focus SE which has the same "sounds" as others were talking about. I too wanted to know the cause. Today, 12/10/12, I returned to the Ford Dealership. Long story short, after the mechanics grouped around my vehicle "in awe" :-) of the sound the Garage manager got in touch with the Ford Motor Co. People - according to Ford this is a NORMAL sound. I have the original fax that the Ford Co faxed to my dealer while I was still there. I would be more than glad to upload it if anyone would like to read what Ford had to say. I for one will be driving my vehicle now without worrying whether or not there is a "problem" - even if there might be down the road, I am now "On Record". Hope 'Ya All have a nice day!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #138
hellohello
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107319
What I Drive: 1997 Buick Lesabre

FF Reputation: 1 hellohello Good Standing Member
to Wondering... can you post the fax from Ford about the clicking noises? The issue is happening to my mother's new 2013 Focus. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #139
Fo4Ro
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106910
What I Drive: '13 Ruby Red Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Fo4Ro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by recyclebin View Post
Since this thread has continued to get replies, I thought I would chime back in.

Here are observations for my car. Some of these seem to conflict with what others have posted in this thread:
  1. My car's "click-click-click-whir" sound only occurs when the engine is cold. I still don't know how long after running it becomes cold enough for this to occur. Where I live it's 35-55F lately, but probably a bit warmer in my garage where the noise is most noticeable. It may not even have anything to do with engine/ambient temperature - maybe it's just the amount of time since the engine was stopped.
  2. I'm sure it isn't the grill shutters since I looked at them and they aren't moving.
  3. I don't think it is the auto transmission (DCT). The sound and vibration I feel don't seem to be buried down that far. But I could certainly be wrong.
  4. It doesn't matter if my headlights are set to Auto or Off.
  5. So far I've only noticed it when the drivers door is first opened (no key in the ignition). Someone mentioned it happening at the dealer when the key is inserted (implying the engine is warm), but I haven't tried that yet.
  6. I just timed it, and it did happen repeatedly over exactly three minutes, then stopped. During that three minutes (from opening the driver door), there were twenty cycles of the noise. It is very periodic, and on my car at least it happens right around every nine seconds.
I can understand the car doing mysterious things for calibration, self-test, etc just before it expects to be started. But to do it twenty times over three minutes doesn't seem right. Why would it have to keep doing this over and over if it's a self-test or calibration? To me that smells like self-test/calibration failing over and over, but the software thankfully has a limit on how many times it retries. I could be way off base, but that's my thinking.

This does not seem to have any negative impact on the operation of my car, so it still isn't a huge worry for me. Since we do have Ford representitives monitoring this forum, can't one of them ask internally what this is, and how many times it should be happening when the drivers door is opened (or any other situations that trigger it)? I would like to know, but bringing it in for service is a huge pain - especially since probably all they will do is check for OBD faults, find none, and tell me "it's normal". Or maybe I'm being too cynical.
I've been watching this post to understand this same sound my car makes. However, I have noticed that it doesn't do it as often now. I have just over 800 miles on my '13 Focus and it only seems to do it when the car is cold... ie in the morning and after work. Before it would do it when I opened the door AND when I locked the door after a long drive to work.

Curious if anyone else here is noticing that their car is doing it less now that it's got a few miles under the hood?

I just think it's funny that it didn't do this Click Click thing on my MANY test drives before I decided to buy the Focus!
Old 12-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #140
Grifftech2K13
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107460
What I Drive: 2013 OW SE Hatch loaded w/ Blk Pk

FF Reputation: 1 Grifftech2K13 Good Standing Member
WTH is this noise?!?

Just picked up my 2013 SE yesterday and it has 230 miles on it, they dealer traded and had to drive it 150 miles to my dealership, and this noise is freaking me out!

It was doing it even a couple mins after the car was shut off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7gO...ature=youtu.be

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.