Mk3 Focus Skid Plate Feeler - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Marketplace > Buy - Sell - Trade > Archive

Archive Archive of all expired Buy-Sell-Trade postings.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Fan#: 95090
What I Drive: DC

FF Reputation: 7 Chaos09 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltm4 View Post
It's not whether I like it or not, it's about usefullness. No need to be defensive. My car is still very new to me and I haven't noticed the wet/sag issue yet. But then I haven't thought to look. What does it weigh compared to the felt one? I assume aluminum? What gauge material? Is it thick enough to install a threaded boss?
I have not weighed it or the felt one. I usually make these out of 16th gauge aluminum but I can make them any thickness. The 16th gauge one on my car works amazing on gravel driveways. I used all of the factory bolts to hold it on.
Sonic's MK3 Crew #9 Chaos!

www.DCSAutoworks.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
Coltm4
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105038
What I Drive: 13 SFE

FF Reputation: 1 Coltm4 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My initial thought is I'm interested, but would like a couple features if you are laser cutting them. i.e. 2 holes cut where oil drain and filter are located and 2 covers. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltm4 View Post
My initial thought is I'm interested, but would like a couple features if you are laser cutting them. i.e. 2 holes cut where oil drain and filter are located and 2 covers. Just my 2 cents.
Thats why this is a feeler. Now I know that people want oil change spots.

www.DCSAutoworks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
A follow-up question on usefulness: If I'm driving over rough enough ground to need a skid plate, would I not be likely to bash up the front fascia first?

What is a rear diffuser? You mentioned one earlier in the thread. Apologies for my lack of knowledge here.

I actually do drive on a lot of gravel and dirt roads, and one in particular that some close friends live down is always a potholed mess in, well, most of the year actually. So I'm interested in learning more about this skidplate offer.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

A diffuser, in an automotive context, is a shaped section of the car underbody which improves the car's aerodynamic properties by enhancing the transition between the high-velocity airflow underneath the car and the much slower freestream airflow of the ambient atmosphere. It works by providing a space for the underbody airflow to decelerate and expand (in area, density remains constant at the speeds that cars travel) so that it does not cause excessive flow separation and drag, by providing a degree of "wake infill". The diffuser itself accelerates the flow in front of it, which helps generate downforce. When a diffuser is used, the air flows into the underbody from the front and sides of the car, accelerates and reduces pressure. There is a suction peak at the transition of the flat bottom and diffuser. The diffuser then eases this high velocity air back to normal velocity and also helps fill in the area behind the car making the whole underbody a more efficient downforce producing device by reducing drag on the car and increasing downforce. The diffuser also imparts upward momentum to the air which further increases downforce.

I have drug going up gravel driveways before and have not hit my front fascia.

www.DCSAutoworks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The felt one is such crap and it's not just about driving over something that could drag the nose but anything that gets flung up into the felt version could tear it up plus even just driving over snow and ice I wouldn't put much stake into the felt one.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #17
ransil
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86614
What I Drive: 2012 Blue TI when it gets here..

FF Reputation: 1 ransil Good Standing Member
Interested
Needs easy oil change access, when draining hot oil it should flow out of the cutout ( my VW jetta made a mess when warm ) needs nutcerts to secure it.

If you use a cover for the oil change cutouts need to secure them somehow, my jetta one always fell off in my driveway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile

Old 12-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Interested
Needs easy oil change access, when draining hot oil it should flow out of the cutout ( my VW jetta made a mess when warm ) needs nutcerts to secure it.

If you use a cover for the oil change cutouts need to secure them somehow, my jetta one always fell off in my driveway.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
I 2nd that. ^^^^^^^ Being alloy needs a couple of cut outs for filter & oil pan drain. It'd be one thing being out of a composit plastic like the LX bodied cars=Challenger/charger/chrysler300's. Being alloy & w/o the cut outs, the lube techs would be tossing these on the ground= like the Hummer H2's skid plates. Just to add. You could also make them for the Fusion's & 150's too.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #19
Chaos09
Sonic Crew #09

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I 2nd that. ^^^^^^^ Being alloy needs a couple of cut outs for filter & oil pan drain. It'd be one thing being out of a composit plastic like the LX bodied cars=Challenger/charger/chrysler300's. Being alloy & w/o the cut outs, the lube techs would be tossing these on the ground= like the Hummer H2's skid plates. Just to add. You could also make them for the Fusion's & 150's too.
I agree with that. I can't take my car to a lube center because I'm to low. If I had a fusion or f150 I would be all over this.

www.DCSAutoworks.com

Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #20
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-Focus View Post
I agree with that. I can't take my car to a lube center because I'm to low. If I had a fusion or f150 I would be all over this.
Being low & having rocker skirts, I take a floor jack to the rear end & jack it up to rack the car. Thats probably the best way vs the sissor ramps, that you drive on & use the rocker panels for lifting. Or some places that have pits & the flange around the edges are kind of high= 2'' or so. As far as making a mock up for 150's & Fusion's= rent one from enterprise for the wk.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks