So, I've had my 2012 for a week ... Observations - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
jamesy628
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106893
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB - Red Candy

FF Reputation: 1 jamesy628 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So, I've had my 2012 for a week ... Observations

So considering I haven't driven in about 3.5 years (no need with public transportation), I thought I'd share my observations with driving and owning my 2012 Ford Focus SEL. I've had the car a week now :)
  • I am 'afraid' to keep the lights on 'Auto' thinking they won't shut off when I turn off the car. On two occasions already, I have driven and have forgotten to turn ON my lights. Solution - Keep the switch to 'Auto'.
  • I have no idea how to turn on the automatic rain sensing wiper feature. Solution - Ask this forum for help and/or consult my owner's manual in the near future.
  • Learning to parallel park is pretty scary but this reverse sense feature is saving my life right now as I learn to gauge distances backing up. I definitely wish my car has park assist.
  • Luckily, no transmission noises/issues (that I know of) but the car does lurch a little. To me, it is sort of cool, like I feel like I'm in a manual or in something sporty.
  • The auto dimming/home link mirror is heavy and I usually have to adjust it daily. I have read somewhere on here that it is a defect so maybe I need to mention it to the dealership.
  • Yesterday when I got home and turned off the car, the alarm started going off on its own. Scary.
  • I swear my car started itself on its own the other day. I know I didn't push the remote start. Also, if I do start the car automatically and then when sitting in the car, I decide to want to turn the car off, I don't know how!
  • I am taking in my car to get the MFT 3.5.1. I hope it fixes some things I dislike about my V 3.0.2. I would love to be able to listen to my music from my phone and have the artist/song feature work on MFT.
  • Today when I got in the car, the MFT didn't turn on and after driving for a couple minutes it said it was updating. Then, the clock reverted to 12:00. Ugh.
  • It is strange to me that the car lights are on the sides and not in the center.
  • My car gets FILTHY sooo quickly. Of course, it is winter and I live in a city, but still.
  • From all of the pictures I have seen on this forum, I haven't seen anyone with the same stock wheels that I have. I have 17" alloy with more spokes than I've seen on other cars. But then again, I love my wheels.

Things I just don't know how to use and probably need to read my OM more carefully:
  • I HATE how the radio/MFT stays on even after the car is off. I wish it turned off when you take your key out. I hope I can fix this.
  • Rain sensing wipers - see above
  • Along the lines of needing to learn to drive better, I want to learn how to use 'S' mode and shift on my own.
  • I'm not going to mess with MFT settings too much considering it is getting updated this weekend.
  • I have no idea how to reset the trip timer/ MPG output. right now I'm getting about 27 MPG (100% city driving) but want to reset and start again.
  • Climate controls - I have no idea what to push/say to turn on heat versus fan versus AC or the defroster. This is based on my own inexperience driving so a quick read of the OM should help me out.

Let me know if you've had similar thoughts or observations. Or if this article is quite comical because I am 25 and really should know this stuff. Haha :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesy628 View Post
So considering I haven't driven in about 3.5 years (no need with public transportation), I thought I'd share my observations with driving and owning my 2012 Ford Focus SEL. I've had the car a week now :)
  • I am 'afraid' to keep the lights on 'Auto' thinking they won't shut off when I turn off the car. On two occasions already, I have driven and have forgotten to turn ON my lights. Solution - Keep the switch to 'Auto'.
  • I have no idea how to turn on the automatic rain sensing wiper feature. Solution - Ask this forum for help and/or consult my owner's manual in the near future.
  • Learning to parallel park is pretty scary but this reverse sense feature is saving my life right now as I learn to gauge distances backing up. I definitely wish my car has park assist.
  • Luckily, no transmission noises/issues (that I know of) but the car does lurch a little. To me, it is sort of cool, like I feel like I'm in a manual or in something sporty.
  • The auto dimming/home link mirror is heavy and I usually have to adjust it daily. I have read somewhere on here that it is a defect so maybe I need to mention it to the dealership.
  • Yesterday when I got home and turned off the car, the alarm started going off on its own. Scary.
  • I swear my car started itself on its own the other day. I know I didn't push the remote start. Also, if I do start the car automatically and then when sitting in the car, I decide to want to turn the car off, I don't know how!
  • I am taking in my car to get the MFT 3.5.1. I hope it fixes some things I dislike about my V 3.0.2. I would love to be able to listen to my music from my phone and have the artist/song feature work on MFT.
  • Today when I got in the car, the MFT didn't turn on and after driving for a couple minutes it said it was updating. Then, the clock reverted to 12:00. Ugh.
  • It is strange to me that the car lights are on the sides and not in the center.
  • My car gets FILTHY sooo quickly. Of course, it is winter and I live in a city, but still.
  • From all of the pictures I have seen on this forum, I haven't seen anyone with the same stock wheels that I have. I have 17" alloy with more spokes than I've seen on other cars. But then again, I love my wheels.

Things I just don't know how to use and probably need to read my OM more carefully:
  • I HATE how the radio/MFT stays on even after the car is off. I wish it turned off when you take your key out. I hope I can fix this.
  • Along the lines of needing to learn to drive better, I want to learn how to use 'S' mode and shift on my own.
  • I'm not going to mess with MFT settings too much considering it is getting updated this weekend.
  • I have no idea how to reset the trip timer/ MPG output. right now I'm getting about 27 MPG (100% city driving) but want to reset and start again.
  • Climate controls - I have no idea what to push/say to turn on heat versus fan versus AC or the defroster. This is based on my own inexperience driving so a quick read of the OM should help me out.

Let me know if you've had similar thoughts or observations. Or if this article is quite comical because I am 25 and really should know this stuff. Haha :)
The radio is set to stay on on purpose after shutting the car off, it will turn off after you either: a. open the door and get out of the car, b. wait 10-15 minutes, c. press the power button each time after shutting the car off, which would require pressing it again to turn it back on when re-starting the car.

Resetting the trip computer requires pressing down the left ok button (in the center of the control wheel) for about 5 seconds on each of the following screens, trip odometer, trip mpg, and trip time,

As to the climate controls just use the dual zone climate control unit for the best/ most consistent results. Or try telling Sync/MFT I'm too hot, or I'm too cold, or Climate temperature xx.

The car will always shut the lights off after turning the car off when left in auto. The car can't automatically turn them on if you flip the switch to off. This uses the solar sensor on the dash board, which is also used in part to determine the solar load for the climate control system.

Sounds like you experienced the mft performing scheduled mantainance screen when it rebooted, that's par for the course with MFT.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
symbology
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94555
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB 301A Mtl.Blk

FF Reputation: 1 symbology Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesy628
I HATE how the radio/MFT stays on even after the car is off. I wish it turned off when you take your key out. I hope I can fix this.
Open door. Close door. Fixed.
Quote:
Along the lines of needing to learn to drive better, I want to learn how to use 'S' mode and shift on my own.
Put into S mode, drive normally. The car will auto switch gears, but keep them at a higher RPM. If you hit the brake at all, it'll rev higher on downhill so you don't have to use the brake as much.
Hit +/- at anytime to engage manual mode. - to downshift if you want to speed past a slow person or if you're going downhill and want to use engine braking. Don't let it get too high (I upshift if the engine gets around 3-4k RPM). Use + when you want to upshift obviously.
Push gear shift up when you want to go back to Auto.
Quote:
I have no idea how to reset the trip timer/ MPG output. right now I'm getting about 27 MPG (100% city driving) but want to reset and start again.
Hold OK on the steering wheel (left side)
Quote:
Climate controls - I have no idea what to push/say to turn on heat versus fan versus AC or the defroster.
For Heat: turn left knob clockwise (I can't remember off the top of my head) until you get the desired temperature.
For fan: Push the big fan for more output. Little fan for less output.
AC: AC button depress.
Defroster: Heat + Front Windshield Button. For rear simply depress the more square rear defrost button on the bottom.

Congrats on the new car and finally becoming a man. I'm so proud of you, Billy
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
jamesy628
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106893
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL HB - Red Candy

FF Reputation: 1 jamesy628 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbology View Post
Congrats on the new car and finally becoming a man. I'm so proud of you, Billy
Thanks for your replies! I'm learning :)

And I am a woman - named Jaimie! Haha.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Thanks for your replies! I'm learning :)

And I am a woman - named Jaimie! Haha.
Whoa whoa whoa! Pick where you want that "i" in your name. I'm a Jamie. Enjoy your car!
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 12-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:

That's because you have the extra special "Premium Edition" 17" rims. They charge more money, per spoke, which is why you don't see very many of them.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
foy1719
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94942
What I Drive: 2013 SE sedan 2014 SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 foy1719 Good Standing Member
in sport stays in 5th?

Info for original poster : My 13 se with s mode if in s position only goes up to 5th gear unless i manually upshift to 6th. Not going to 6th at that time would be hard on gas mileage on a long trip. I find it easier to move lever to D postion

Bookmarks & Social Networks