This guy hits the nail on the head. - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I build my cars to personal taste lol
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I am active here, and do a few build mentions from time to time, but most of what we do never makes it here. we do it because we enjoy it. And, I build a car to be fun, work better , handle and be fast. NOT what someones idea of fashion is. Just like faded leg jeans, the insane stance will fade...but it will take time
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
02fordsvt
Meh.

Fan#: 84654
What I Drive: 2002 SVT, 2001 SE (Rusty)

FF Reputation: 49 02fordsvt Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam fisher View Post
right , i see where you are coming from , but i personally like hearing opinions/suggestions and so on , especially from those who have a car like mine you know . its still.ultimately done for myself , but input from others does mean something to me. i guess im just different lol

Sent from my N860 using FF Mobile
^^ This

I enjoy seeing what other people are doing with their cars and sometime drawing idea's from what they have done. I also like the feedback, opinions, and ideas that members express in my build thread and is a major part of why I maintain one.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of having a build thread dedicated to your car, however, is it gets all your information in one place rather than scattered through out the forum. If someone want to see the history of you car, it's all there in one place. If someone doesn't care about your car or build, it's one thread to ignore rather than multiple threads or post that are scatter through multiple threads. Basically, it keeps the forum cleaned up and gives those that don't like build threads the easy opportunity to avoid them.
Hatch Nation #13 : Rally Revolution #13 : ROTM Jan '13
It's Bryan, not Brian
RSVT-170 Build in Progress
Derusting Rusty Build in Progress
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fordsvt View Post
^^ This

I enjoy seeing what other people are doing with their cars and sometime drawing idea's from what they have done. I also like the feedback, opinions, and ideas that members express in my build thread and is a major part of why I maintain one.

Perhaps the biggest advantage of having a build thread dedicated to your car, however, is it gets all your information in one place rather than scattered through out the forum. If someone want to see the history of you car, it's all there in one place. If someone doesn't care about your car or build, it's one thread to ignore rather than multiple threads or post that are scatter through multiple threads. Basically, it keeps the forum cleaned up and gives those that don't like build threads the easy opportunity to avoid them.
I keep a "build thread" for this reason. I know I an not actually building my car, I am just bolting on parts. Same with 99% of the so-called build threads on here. But I enjoy looking at what others are doing to their cars as well - even if none of us are actually building a car. What else are we supposed to call our threads?

For the actual builds like thelit's, Rudel's, hurtinfocus, diciplerocks, I am speechless - they do amazing work and I can only dream of doing something like what they are doing. For that reason I don't know what to say, other than just admiring their work.
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month
Old 12-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
matmatician
Cars&Corgis

Fan#: 81361
What I Drive: A Garsh Dern 'Murican Flag, Ducatis

FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't think I've ever bought one piece of equipment because someone told me they thought it would be cool. In fact, I think the whole focus scene is kinda in defiance of that, to an extent. If we had cared what people thought about our mods or projects, would we have bought foci? They aren't powerhouses, and 9 times out of 10 when I talk to people they say something along the lines of "wait, a Ford Focus? What's the point in that?"

The point is, I bought the car because I thought it was the best looking affordable 4 door sedan on the market. Anything I do to it is becuase I want it to look even better in my eyes, because I know a lot of people just think "a focus, really?" no matter what I do to it. Just my $0.02. Hell, even I think that sometimes. But at the end of the day, it's my car, and even though its FWD, I'm gonna make it look like a rally car because I think its cool. Scoobie guys and Lancer owners be damned.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Hot rodders, since the beginning of car customizing, have modified their cars to impress others while pretending they are doing it without concern for how it will be received, B.S.

Look at how trends change over the years within the same type of cars (say pre-war street rods), the cars don't change but the trends do. What was cool in the 70's was outdated and lame in the 80's, those billet bolt-on street rods looked stupid a few years later, who paints 1940's cars pastel colors? Pro-street muscle cars became yesterday and pro-touring became the new cool.

The same thing happens with all groups of cars popular for customizing.
We are all a bunch of trend-following, fashion-concerned, follow the crowd sheep.

So how is it different today?
People try to impress strangers on the internet rather than strangers at the cruise scene. Not too different really.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Incognito27
Focus Addict

Fan#: 34939
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Premium - White

FF Reputation: 3 Incognito27 Good Standing Member
Heres my take on this.

The OP statement is true for alot of people , i will point and make fun of the Honda Civics of the world , Not saying there arenčt any really nice ones. But lets look at say 65-75% of them... Average age under 24 , All they do is burn out and try and go faster and be more stupid. and they do it on real roads with traffic. They put cherry bombs on their exhaust to feel more manly about their 1.6 lt engine. They put lights under their car to get noticed in a crowd of big boys.

Now like i said there are ALOT of civics that look nice because the owners do nice to them, most of them have an average age over 25.

This community i think shares a passion for a under rated car that people would consider a under dog in the performance and show car world. although several people have proven them wrong , when you tell a non focus crowd you have a modded focus they kind chuckle. Beleive i have been in that situation.

20 years ago , most people who have show cars hae grown up doing it , their dads dads dad started working on cars and they have barn dedicated to it. (translate that to any neighbourhood you live in) .

Today there are soooo many stores and shops that do custom work and dedicate their lives to a specific model or models of cars. it makes life easier for us in this generation. To be truely creative you make something yourself... but by todays standards that very macguverish or hick or redneck , or whatever way you want to put it. ( i am in no way insulting any of the previous ethnic groups i love em all equally) .

Is it lost in todays society to be creative and make stuff your self... a little yes , but today most of us do not have machining equipment in our garages. so we depend on other shops to make things for us and we pay for them. But we all are creative in our own right. We take what others have made and make something ourselves. a bit here and bit there , a combo over here , and so on.

at the end of the day.... we all value opinions of friends family , and folks we met on the internet. The internet Hero generation are here , still here and will be for a long time , but i do not think every person is that . At least not on here.

Your car is your canvas , make it what you will. Picasso wasnt famed for having the best art , famed for being different.

Sorry for the long winded post.

my 10 cents.... or a dollar whichever you figure :P
Old 12-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Gotta agree with Incognito. I think the only thing that has changed is the size of the crowd. You don't think that pre-internet, builders had to endure the opinions of others? I remember my neighbor when I was growing up. He was a real grease monkey, and had motored vehicles all over the place. He wrenched and tuned his own cars - and always had people yackin' about them.

Nothin's changed.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
Black00ZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 104714
What I Drive: '12 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 3 Black00ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoGTI View Post
....the rest of the people who can't afford to modify Mk6s or Mk7 will continue to burn up fenders, take pictures of it...and do their best to attain internet hero status, for a few seconds anyways.
I agree with this 100%.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Maybe I'm old, but I don't know what burn up fenders means...

Bookmarks & Social Networks