How To: Use the SVT Gauge Cluster on a non-SVT Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > Focus SVT

Focus SVT The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK1 2002-2004 Focus SVT.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79215
What I Drive: 2002 White Wagon

FF Reputation: 2 bay_wolf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
How To: Use the SVT Gauge Cluster on a non-SVT Focus

*Click Pictures to Enlarge*

Background: There is a lot of misconceptions as to the compatibility of gauge clusters being swapped. Basically, you can swap any Zetec cluster into another, this holds true for the SVT cluster as I'm going to show you. For other engines, I believe the plug is different so I don't think they will work with each other.

Objective: Get the SVT Gauge Cluster to fully work in a non-SVT car, this means having the AUX gauges work and the stock EL backlighting without purchasing an extra inverter.

Two ways to accomplish it:

1) You can do the splices directly into your harness. I found this would be extremely difficult due to the cramped space and the potential to ruin your wiring harness.

2) You can do it how I did it and create an adapter to plug the cluster plug from your car into and the SVT cluster plug into the same adapter. This was very difficult also but a safer way. I feel this would be the best way to do this so that it is 100% reversible if need be.

Materials Needed:
*NOTE: there are two ways to do this so the list below is what I used to create the adapter.*

old gauge cluster (for the connector)
soldering iron & solder
desoldering iron
SVT gauge cluster & aux gauges
electrical tape
hot glue
22 gauge wire
digital multimeter (to check connections and pin routes)
the aux gauge plug and main cluster plug
a printed circuit board or project board from radioshack

Finally the steps:

1) Look over these wiring diagrams as you'll need to know where the pins are on the connectors.

2) Desolder the connector off of the old broke gauge cluster (only if it's a broken one or one you don't care about). Mine came from another SVT cluster that an ebay seller broke trying to fix the mileage.

3) Time to start splicing all the wires together (you may have to extend some of the wires length by soldering more wire as needed). Below you'll find the pins that need to be connected from the aux connector to the main cluster connector:

Pins 1 and 9 from the aux connector connects to the 2 wires on the top of the main cluster for illumination. Just match the colors up for this.

Aux Cluster Pin -----> Main Cluster Pin
Pin 4 -----> Pin 16 [Voltage supplied in Start and Run ]
Pin 5 -----> Pin 19 [Oil pressure switch, input ]
Pin 6 -----> Pin 13 [Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) data +]
Pin 7 -----> Pin 26 [Standard Corporate Protocol (SCP) data -]
Pin 8 -----> Pin 14 [Battery voltage, hot at all times]
Pin 12 ----> Pin 4 [Speed control indicator, control ]
Pin 14 ----> Pin 10 [Battery voltage, hot in Run and Acc only]
Pin 15 ----> Pin 3 [Illumination dimmer switch output]
Pin 16 ----> Pin 2 [Ground]

Pins 2, 3, 10, 11, 13 are not used on the aux connector.

I complete all the splicing by just soldering the wires together then using some heat shrink tubing to seal it up.

4) Once I completed soldering all of those up it's time to solder those wires onto the connector. I personally bought a project board from radioshack but wish I could/would have taken the time to come up with less of a ghetto solution as it was pretty difficult to do this. Here are some pictures of the connector after I had soldered it all together and added some hot glue holding it all together better:

I then wrapped it up in electrical tape just to be sure. So, here are pictures of the completed adapter:

Result:
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Everything works except the oil temperature but there's nothing I can do about that. You'll also need to get the cluster reprogrammed for your car or else the ABS and brake lights will be on.

Midwest Crew #64

Last edited by bay_wolf; 06-24-2011 at 01:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Reserved for updates in the future. Also, ask any questions and I'll try to clarify the how to.
Midwest Crew #64
Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Just wanted to put an update that my RadioShack project board ended up not working out too well so I picked up some jumper wires to plug onto the connector and wired it up again. I'll get some pictures of the new setup sometime soon. I also have a new modification to the SVT gauges that I'm installing before long.
Midwest Crew #64
Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Ayellowcow
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95203
What I Drive: 2000 Red LX SPI 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 Ayellowcow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Will this work on a SPI Focus?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
mitisangel90
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102913
What I Drive: 2002 grey svt clone

FF Reputation: 1 mitisangel90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok i just did this to my car and it Worked but when Im driving a little light coming on on the oil gauge that looks like a tach but when I shop it turns off do any of yours? Or do you know What Thats for thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.