IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input. - Page 25 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #241
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftmetal View Post
I had a clunk in my 2008 cobalt that was like your describing. After getting front struts changed clunk continued, still from the front. The solution turned out to be the rear struts were no good and by some trick of sound from inside the car the noise came from the front
Wish it was that easy. I've replaced the rear shocks and sway bar. Checked all fasteners underneath the car. Still, the noise persists.

Just went for a test drive again tonight. Temps have dropped significantly to the mid-30s. It's tougher to reproduce, but the clunk is still there on the same bumps. So frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #242
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
have you put the shim/sealant under the strut bar?
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #243
Zillon
Focus Addict

Tried the silicone under the strut bar, no improvements.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #244
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 9 Shade-010 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
Tried the silicone under the strut bar, no improvements.
Well Shite.... seems like this problem is
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #245
Zillon
Focus Addict

Yep. This damn issue is impossible to track down.

Why it keeps reoccurring first on one side of my car no matter what I replace is what really troubles me, though, and leads me to believe it's a structural issue and not a component issue.

When I disconnected my sway bar, I took a look at where the front subframe attaches to the body and it sure appears to me that the subframe shifted. My front subframe bolts were not tightened to the 115 N-m they were supposed to be, but they're tight now. One of the few things I haven't done yet is replace the subframe bolts and bushings or check the subframe alignment, but I don't have the Ford subframe alignment pin tools, and the bushings are $30+ each.

My driver's side seems to be 95% OK. Occasionally I might get a slight noise out of it, but the main complaint is with my passenger side. Breaks in the pavement, rippled pavement approaching stoplights or stop signs, manholes, sunken sections of pavement where a patch job was done, concrete curbs on driveway entrances; they all create the same noise. It's a hollow sounding clunk that sounds a lot like a bad LCA bushing, a bad strut, or a bad connection at the top of the strut.

My girlfriend's heard it, and my dad was the first one to say something about a clunk at ~600 miles right after I purchased the car. He was then afraid of telling me again that he heard it shortly after I installed the ST struts and strut mounts in September. It improves in cold weather (below 40°F) and gets significantly worse when temperatures rise above 50-55°, so getting the conditions right for reproducing the noise to a Ford service manager is next to impossible.

The whole situation sucks. I bought the car because I loved the design, the feel, and the initial quality of the vehicle, but every morning on my way to work, I hit cracks in the pavement, bumps, and manholes that make me completely regret my choice of automaker and vehicle. I work for a Toyota dealer, so I'm very familiar with customers complaining just for the sake of hearing themselves complain, but that's not what I'm doing here. I have better things to do aside from trying to track down an issue that Ford won't even tell us the truth about.

I just want to fix the car.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #246
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
How about using a good camera to take video of various components while being driving? Something like a GoPro should work...not sure how much room would be available, though...and lighting would be a concern.

Another option is to put witness marks on EVERYTHING. See if any parts that shouldn't be moving, are.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 12-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #247
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipshurt View Post
...Cory, I'm not buying it. I have sent my VIN and info to every forum moderator that ford has come on here... I should say that I lke my car a lot, and the couple of minutes of noise is ok now with the credit card stuffed in there. It was insane though. Drives great, and I get lots of compliments about the quiet ride. I always have the radio on for the first few minutes if I have a passenger
I sent you a PM, Lipshurt; please see your inbox for the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeFocus View Post
We are all pretty upset by this set of circumstances...
BlazeFocus,

I wanted to check in to see if you’re hearing the noise more than when you spoke with Stephen. Let me know via PM and I’ll lend a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
...I've had my case re-escalated to my CSM, since the noise returned...
Please keep me in the loop, Zillon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang122 View Post
...I'd like to give ford another shot when the weather gets hot. I recently had the dealership replaced the strut mount again. That was the 6th attempt. The clunk was somehow improved. But I can still duplicate it on the driveway in front of my apt, if I drive slowly enough over some cracks...
tang122,

I see you already talked about the resolution of the concern with Kimberly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
I was finally able to talk directly to the rep who I've been dealing with via voicemail. I'll be booking the Focus in at work and am to let him know when I have...
Let me know if you want any info forwarded to your CSM before your next follow-up, Twenty.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #248
tang122
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105830
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Gray

FF Reputation: 1 tang122 Good Standing Member
Hi, Cory.
I did talk to Kimberly yesterday. I told her that the noise is still there,but it is much better now, so it's OK for me at this moment. Which means that if I really want to hear the noise, I certainly can. I appreciate all the works the dealer have done. When the noise gets worse again, the first thing I'm going to do is repeating the TSB. But I think there's nothing more you and the dealership can do. The solution should be given by Ford. As Zillion said before, what we need is just a car that won't make its driver angry. To be honest, I'm afraid to drive my car now, I'm afraid to hear the noise again. If you really want to help us, please ask a Ford tech to join this thread. Thanks for trying to help us!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #249
Bogey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104241
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver SE

FF Reputation: 1 Bogey Good Standing Member
This and other concerns have raised alot of questions to whether or not we made the right choice. Only once have i been reassured that id be taken care of and that ford is concerned with the way i(we) feel about our vehicle(s). For 25 k i thought things would of been better, and its more expensive in canada... Idk why. Cory we need public reassurance that this will..... Be taken care of properly in a way where us as the consumer and over all reason why your corporation is in existence will be treated as such with respect to our feelings(emotions), financial investment of your product. With consumer soverignty the deciding factor to if we choose ford again.

Have a great day and a safe one.

Sincerely:

Bogey of the great white north.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #250
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Mine is booked for tomorrow. It's such a slight rattle that I suspect it may not be to the extent some of you have.

My rsb is also really bad, that grease did not last long. That's on the fix list.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.

Bookmarks & Social Networks