2012 Focus fuel gauge problem - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #41
RedoFromStart
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98701
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 RedoFromStart Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
As I expected, the service department at my dealership gave me the same old run-arounds that I've gotten from all other service departments of American automobile manufacturers.

If you listen to the tech who argued with me about what I saw on my own dashboard for a month straight (because we customers are all just so stupid that we don't know what we experience and need qualified Technicians to alter our perception), he'll have you believing not only does the gas gauge just barely show incorrect, that it's apparently normal for the gas gauge to read 2 gallons less than the tank has in it, remaining on E with the low fuel indicator blaring in your face once there is 1/4 tank or less of gas.

I haven't even made the first payment on it and I've had it in the service department 3 times already. It doesn't even have license plates yet.

Who would have thought that the first car manufacturer in the USA, who has been making them for over a century, would begin making cars with fuel gauges that read incorrectly by design and consider that normal? What a disgrace.

Imagine that...a car touted as a big fuel-saving vehicle, but in lieu of hoping you can pay for your next tank of gas, you have to worry at 1/4 tank how far you'll be able to drive because you don't actually know how much gas you have.

Last edited by RedoFromStart; 06-09-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #42
Tymes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94124
What I Drive: 02 SE SOHC SPI

FF Reputation: 8 Tymes Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hi Lardgee47,

To have your vehicle issues addressed, please call Ford UK Customer Relationship Center at 0845.841.1111, as they will be able to discuss your concerns.

Please keep me posted on the results.

Noemi
I know this post is a couple of months old, but why, why, why would Canadian customers have to go through U.K. customer service? I know Ford Canada's customer service is horrible, but that is getting drastic.

Lardgee47
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92598
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SE
Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #43
ABFORDGUY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89202
What I Drive: '90 Miata wife has the 2012 Ti

FF Reputation: 2 ABFORDGUY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymes View Post
I know this post is a couple of months old, but why, why, why would Canadian customers have to go through U.K. customer service? I know Ford Canada's customer service is horrible, but that is getting drastic.

Lardgee47
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92598
What I Drive: 2012, Ingot Silver, SE
Yah, I was kinda wondering that as well
Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
Graeme S
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101487
What I Drive: 2012 SBM Focus Titanium A/T

FF Reputation: 1 Graeme S Good Standing Member
Sorry to bump this from the dead, just hoping for some enlightenment.

My mom's tank says "0km remaning on tank" even when there's about 7L (1.8gal) left in the tank. Does anyone know why this happens, or if there's a solution?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #45
Milwaukee, WY
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102089
What I Drive: 2013 Bordeaux Reserve Fusion SE(L)

FF Reputation: 1 Milwaukee, WY Good Standing Member
I've been having quite the month with my car. First indication that there was anything wrong was at the end of June, when my car lost power and stalled a few blocks from my house. Tried to restart it and it just cranked away, shaking pretty violently in the process. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealer, where they discovered it was completely out of fuel. I was incredulous because the gauge was reading 1/4 full at the time it stalled. Initially, they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, and -surprise, surprise- sent me on my way. I was now watching the gauge like a hawk. The first thing I noticed was that it stayed on full for the first half of the tank, and would then drift from 3/4 to full. I took it back to the dealer twice more, and they eventually figured out that the fuel tank was warped, and replaced it. All seemed well; when I picked it up, the gauge was actually sitting in the red, (was almost empty), and I filled it up. Back to the same old, same old. Stayed showing full for over 100 miles on the trip odo. Called the dealer back, and was told to bring it in.

At this point, with 160 miles on the tank, they had it overnight, and called me back and said nothing was wrong, and the reading was correct. They gave it back to me with the gauge showing about 2/5 full. Last night, when driving to work, (11 mile trip, mostly freeway) Gauge started at 1/4 full, and during my time on the freeway started to creep up to 1/2. Then, while going about 60 miles per hour on I-43 just south of downtown Milwaukee, the thing lost power again. I had to cut across four lanes of traffic and made it to the breakdown lane just as the engine shut off. (Narrowly avoided a serious crash with a black suburban - driver gave me the one fingered salute as she went by) Roadside assistance guy gave me two gallons of gas, and it started right up. Gauge still showed half full!

So, today I guess it's back to the dealer to throw my keys at the guy and tell him to keep the car until they're sure it's fixed. I love this car, and I'm a loyal Ford customer, but I'm tearing my hair out over this.

Last edited by Milwaukee, WY; 08-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #46
Kevin_agar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104461
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Kevin_agar Good Standing Member
Two weeks ago I ran out of gas with just shy of 1/4 tank of gas showing. The dealer replaced the fuel level sending unit and it worked for 2 weeks. Now my car stays on full for 200km, goes down to 3/4 full at 450km.... WTF? Wow, never thought this car could get 1800 km per tank! hahaha. So once again I have it booked in for another dealer visit.
This is my first Ford in 35 years and probably a short lived last Ford as I have had it in to the dealer 5 times in the first 3 months of ownership.... Quality is... Job None! Absolutely love the way the car drives but it is the most unrelieable/possessed car I have ever owned by a longshot!!!! I used to complain about people being dangerous drivers... now I worry about my car trying to kill me... seriously!

Ok... rant over! hahaha

Anybody out there have a similar issue and actually get a permanent fix so I don't run out of gas again in the middle of rush hour again? Thanks in advance....
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #47
Milwaukee, WY
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102089
What I Drive: 2013 Bordeaux Reserve Fusion SE(L)

FF Reputation: 1 Milwaukee, WY Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_agar View Post
Two weeks ago I ran out of gas with just shy of 1/4 tank of gas showing. The dealer replaced the fuel level sending unit and it worked for 2 weeks. Now my car stays on full for 200km, goes down to 3/4 full at 450km.... WTF? Wow, never thought this car could get 1800 km per tank! hahaha. So once again I have it booked in for another dealer visit.
This is my first Ford in 35 years and probably a short lived last Ford as I have had it in to the dealer 5 times in the first 3 months of ownership.... Quality is... Job None! Absolutely love the way the car drives but it is the most unrelieable/possessed car I have ever owned by a longshot!!!! I used to complain about people being dangerous drivers... now I worry about my car trying to kill me... seriously!

Ok... rant over! hahaha

Anybody out there have a similar issue and actually get a permanent fix so I don't run out of gas again in the middle of rush hour again? Thanks in advance....
After my last incident in August, the dealer kept my car for over a week. They basically replaced most of the fuel systems. The culprit was stuck purge valves. They also discovered that when the purge valves initially collapsed the fuel tank, the fuel pump was damaged. In the end, they replaced the purge valves, fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel pump. Then they filled it and drove it until empty to ensure it was fixed. And it is. No problems since then, but my confidence in Ford has taken a huge hit. Not even my horrible 1999 Explorer ever tried to kill me.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #48
drumkidd56
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115210
What I Drive: 2012 Gray Metallic SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 drumkidd56 Good Standing Member
I own a 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch in gray. My car is in the shop at the moment for sort of the same issue. For example, when I sit in idle my fuel gauge will read that I have no fuel yet I had a full tank or 3/4 full of fuel. Any ideas on what may of caused this issue?? Does this seem the same as everyone else issue??
Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #49
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,219, Level 35
Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35 Points: 3,219, Level: 35
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumkidd56 View Post
I own a 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch in gray. My car is in the shop at the moment for sort of the same issue. For example, when I sit in idle my fuel gauge will read that I have no fuel yet I had a full tank or 3/4 full of fuel. Any ideas on what may of caused this issue?? Does this seem the same as everyone else issue??
Hey drumkidd56,

I'd like to put you in touch with your regional customer service manager, who'll work directly with your dealer. Please send me a private message with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

Last edited by FordService; 01-30-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #50
cymlee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 138441
What I Drive: 2010 Red Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cymlee Good Standing Member
I got a 2010 Ford Focus back in June and had no problems until recently. Last week my car wouldn't start. I got a jump start and once the car started up, the miles to empty read 0 and the low fuel light was on. When I parked the car earlier that day, I had 80 miles to empty. After a few minutes the miles to empty when up, but it still was inaccurate. The next day I took the car into the dealer, where they replaced the battery and told me to fill up my car and then reset the fuel economy. I reset the mileage and my car had more than 450 miles to empty, which has never happened. All was well, until yesterday and today. When I went to start my this morning I had 415 miles to e. After only letting the car run for a few minutes, it went down to 410 and continued to rapidly decrease until I got to work, which is less than 10 miles away. I now have 298 miles to e and I have not driven anywhere near 150 miles in a week. I'm not even sure how much gas is still in my car at this point because when I start it tomorrow, the reading will probably have changed again. I'm taking it into the dealer in the morning. I just wish the mechanics would've listened to me when I brought the car in last week, because the issue is still present.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.