PTS Remote start from OEM Fob - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
Hey, this is a bit off topic, but just wondering if you could help me out. I currently have a manual 2013 focus that I've wired using the diagram from ads and flashed my al-ca with the FM4 firmware. I have the standard 80-bit key, and I've installed a proper manual remote starter from Solace, since I do not believe the OEM fob is capable of starting the car with a manual transmission. The firmware for the idatalink has been flashed appropriately.

Immediately after the car is put into reservation mode, I can restart it with the remote start with no issues. If a couple hours passes, or the car sits overnight, it will attempt to start, but will not crank the starter, although I can hear the relay click on the remote start, almost as if the clutch bypass has failed. After that, I get 7 flashes from the parking lights indicating a failed remote start attempt. I have a hard time believing that it is clutch related since it will start sometimes when I have put it in reservation mode.

I haven't torn into it too far, but the idatalink is currently hardwired with my Solace, mostly for peace of mind that it wasn't a 2 way data communication issue causing this problem. Thus far, ADS has told me I need to wire my own door pin for the remote starter, and that is what is causing the issue, and a second opinion has netted me these two documents:

https://www.box.com/s/bp50iedeb5dczunscx7s

I guess I feel bad kinda hijacking your thread asking for free advice, but I used to install remote starters a few years ago, and I guess I'd like a third opinion from someone I know to have experience installing on these cars before I go crazy and start cutting my factory harness up to get this done. My current thoughts are that this has something to do with the BCM going into a standby mode. Honestly, I feel like an idiot, but I'm lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
OK First thing looking at the diagram I am not noticing that the FM4 Firmware is not confirmed to work with a 2013 Manual trans. Obviously your mentioning it is working shortly there after setting your reservation mode.

Typically a remote starter that has had its reservation mode broken by a door pin or having the ebrake released will not even turn the ignition on and try to start, it will typically just flash an error code.

You mentioned that it sounded like it was attempting to start but possibly the clutch bypass wasnt being triggered. What you can do to try this, is manually press the clutch in while activating the remote start. If it starts, then you know you have an issue with the clutch bypass.

One other thing I noticed on the diagram is the door pin is being looped through on the white/black , white/red wire. Try putting disconnecting this and putting it back to stock. It is essentially opening your door pin electronically to turn off the retained accessory, which will typically reset the reservation mode.

Only other thing I can think of is the computer is going to sleep and causing a timing issue to occur upon waking up when you go to remote start. You can try to see if this is the case by hitting lock on your factory remote prior to remote starting to wake up the computer in the car. If it starts now when it wouldn't previously you will have to some how program a pulse before (or a disarm pulse) to hit the lock in the car to wake it up before the ignition comes on.

Hope this helps.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #42
Michael Jackson
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104370
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Michael Jackson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaToX View Post
OK First thing looking at the diagram I am not noticing that the FM4 Firmware is not confirmed to work with a 2013 Manual trans. Obviously your mentioning it is working shortly there after setting your reservation mode.
I noticed the same, although when searching for my car, FM4 is what ADS recommended, so I went with it. I have been a bit uncomfortable using it considering the do not call out ANY 2013 Focus in the install guide, but alas, it works... Sometimes.

Quote:
Typically a remote starter that has had its reservation mode broken by a door pin or having the ebrake released will not even turn the ignition on and try to start, it will typically just flash an error code.
Exactly, and I the door pin is currently working properly in this regard. That's why I questioned the previous advice of it being an issue with the door pin since it does not respond with the reservation mode error code, it continues with the starting process, just doesn't crank the starter.

Quote:
You mentioned that it sounded like it was attempting to start but possibly the clutch bypass wasnt being triggered. What you can do to try this, is manually press the clutch in while activating the remote start. If it starts, then you know you have an issue with the clutch bypass.
Right. The wiring diagram was calling for diode isolation on clutch 1 and clutch 2, however, the car would not crank the starter at all with the diodes installed as shown on the ADS diagram. Not sure what I'm missing there. Also, with it being a manual starter, and the door trigger causing the unit to come out of reservation mode... I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Quote:
One other thing I noticed on the diagram is the door pin is being looped through on the white/black , white/red wire. Try putting disconnecting this and putting it back to stock. It is essentially opening your door pin electronically to turn off the retained accessory, which will typically reset the reservation mode.
I will try this, however, will the unit still go into reservation mode this way?

Quote:
Only other thing I can think of is the computer is going to sleep and causing a timing issue to occur upon waking up when you go to remote start. You can try to see if this is the case by hitting lock on your factory remote prior to remote starting to wake up the computer in the car. If it starts now when it wouldn't previously you will have to some how program a pulse before (or a disarm pulse) to hit the lock in the car to wake it up before the ignition comes on.

Hope this helps.
I've had the same notion, and have set the remote start to unlock/disarm prior to starting the vehicle to no avail. However, I cannot recall if I have tried waking the BCM with the factory remote, then starting with my aftermarket remote. I will try this in a few minutes to see where it leads.

Thank you for the advice, I'll let you know what transpires.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM   #43
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Should go into reservation mode with the wire back to stock as the ALCA module picks up the door data via the CAN network.

One other thing to try is use a relay to give a good signal to the clutch wires. I had a jeep that I did the other day and it was hit and miss as to whether it would do the clutch bypass or not. In the end I put a relay to give it a good ground and Voila it worked everytime. Sometimes the 500ma ground that the starters output just aint enough.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Michael Jackson
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Should go into reservation mode with the wire back to stock as the ALCA module picks up the door data via the CAN network.

One other thing to try is use a relay to give a good signal to the clutch wires. I had a jeep that I did the other day and it was hit and miss as to whether it would do the clutch bypass or not. In the end I put a relay to give it a good ground and Voila it worked everytime. Sometimes the 500ma ground that the starters output just aint enough.
Gotcha. That makes a lot of sense. Again, I'll experiment a bit and let you know what happens.

Thanks again!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
Old 12-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #45
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

As I said I would do, Here is a video of how to remove the glove box and where to make all the connections to install the remote start system. Don't mind my terrible camera skills, Doing how to videos is new to me.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #46
Michael Jackson
Focus Enthusiast

Nice video. For those installing a traditional remote starter, I can confirm that 100 percent of your wires are found in this same location (95 percent if you have a manual trans), despite the install guides claiming you have to be on the driver's side for the majority of the wires.

Last night, I disconnected the clutch connector altogether to see how it would react, and alas, this morning the car started.

More updates on this later once I figure out how to properly bypass the clutch, as it seems something isn't quite right with ADS's wiring guide.

SaToX, thank you again for your help thus far!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #47
zhilton
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102404
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 zhilton Good Standing Member
Forgive my ignorance when it comes to Focus and all their abbreviations...I'm a PowerStroke guy by trade; though have had Fords in my driveway for the last 20 years. We bought a '12 SEL in June for my wife and her "adventures" at work (500+ miles a week). I'm wanting to install a remote start for as a birthday/Christmas gift (her birthday is the 23rd) and trying to figure out what I need, what will/won't work and keep it simple since I'm married to a blonde. I had thought the OEM offering was what I need...

http://accessories.ford.com/bi-direc...ton-start.html

But I all the threads I've dug through here only one mentioned the OEM kit...and it sounds like we have to give up a key for that to work? Having worked for a Cat dealership and life with a F250 PSD, my mind set has been OEM is the best for the vehicle (especially with the PSD)...thus I'm not too hip on a/m stuff. Stopped by my local dealership trying to figure out what would work...and they're pretty much clueless. Apparently I'll be the first owner to have remote start on a Focus...or one of very few. With all that said, on XpressKit they mention a "SA key"; I've also seen "IA" key mentioned a couple of times...what are those? On that Ford link it says for not use on BEV or ST...both the guy at the dealership & I are clueless what those mean. The two keys we received when we signed on the dotted line have four buttons on them (lock, unlock, trunk & panic) and notches are reverse cut...hopefully that helps describe what our Fungus was built/equipped with.

Is the remote start possible with a DCT? I'm thinking so since it...from a driver's standpoint...functions allot like an automatic. But like I said at the top of this post, I'm a truck guy...so these little cars are a different language to me. Thank you in advance for the help/advice.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #48
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,720, Level 66
Points: 9,720, Level: 66 Points: 9,720, Level: 66 Points: 9,720, Level: 66
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhilton View Post
Forgive my ignorance when it comes to Focus and all their abbreviations...I'm a PowerStroke guy by trade; though have had Fords in my driveway for the last 20 years. We bought a '12 SEL in June for my wife and her "adventures" at work (500+ miles a week). I'm wanting to install a remote start for as a birthday/Christmas gift (her birthday is the 23rd) and trying to figure out what I need, what will/won't work and keep it simple since I'm married to a blonde. I had thought the OEM offering was what I need...

http://accessories.ford.com/bi-direc...ton-start.html

But I all the threads I've dug through here only one mentioned the OEM kit...and it sounds like we have to give up a key for that to work? Having worked for a Cat dealership and life with a F250 PSD, my mind set has been OEM is the best for the vehicle (especially with the PSD)...thus I'm not too hip on a/m stuff. Stopped by my local dealership trying to figure out what would work...and they're pretty much clueless. Apparently I'll be the first owner to have remote start on a Focus...or one of very few. With all that said, on XpressKit they mention a "SA key"; I've also seen "IA" key mentioned a couple of times...what are those? On that Ford link it says for not use on BEV or ST...both the guy at the dealership & I are clueless what those mean. The two keys we received when we signed on the dotted line have four buttons on them (lock, unlock, trunk & panic) and notches are reverse cut...hopefully that helps describe what our Fungus was built/equipped with.

Is the remote start possible with a DCT? I'm thinking so since it...from a driver's standpoint...functions allot like an automatic. But like I said at the top of this post, I'm a truck guy...so these little cars are a different language to me. Thank you in advance for the help/advice.

I.A. = Intelligent Access, this is the system on the Titanium that allows you to keep a key in a pocket or purse yet still walk up to the car and unlock it without taking the key out of said pocket/ bag. The cars with intelligent access also have pushbutton start, so they won't work with that version of the remote start system

BEV= Battery Electric Vehicle aka the Focus Electric. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't know this one.

The ST is the high performance Focus with a 6 speed manual transmission and the 2.0 L EcoBoost i4 engine making 252 hp/270 ft-lb torque. Same question as to how the dealer didn't recognize this car either, unless they haven't had one on the lot or done any dealer training on it.

Of course the remote start works with the DCT, it does have a park pawl/gear like an automatic despite not having a torque converter. Its only the manual where you need a clutch switch override to bypass the switch and turn the car on.

It would be possible, but the O.E. remote start allegedly has poorer range than the aftermarket solutions.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #49
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Suss for the quick reply :)

zhilton, If you are looking to keep it "blonde" simple, Install the DBALL from xpresskit. You will however need their XKLoader to program the unit in whats called RSR mode. This RSR mode allows you to hit lock 3 times on your factory remote within a few seconds and the car will start up for you. Same thing to turn it off.

The down side to just using the DBALL in the RSR mode is that you are limited to the range of the factory keyless. If you are looking for longer range you can add a remote start to the DBALL in another mode or add what is called their range extender kit
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #50
zhilton
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102404
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 zhilton Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I.A. = Intelligent Access, this is the system on the Titanium that allows you to keep a key in a pocket or purse yet still walk up to the car and unlock it without taking the key out of said pocket/ bag. The cars with intelligent access also have pushbutton start, so they won't work with that version of the remote start system
Which doesn't apply to our SEL then...correct?
Quote:
BEV= Battery Electric Vehicle aka the Focus Electric. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't know this one.
Not very common in Arkansas. That's my only theory why the dealership didn't know what it was. But I was talking to someone in the parts department as well.
Quote:
The ST is the high performance Focus with a 6 speed manual transmission and the 2.0 L EcoBoost i4 engine making 252 hp/270 ft-lb torque. Same question as to how the dealer didn't recognize this car either, unless they haven't had one on the lot or done any dealer training on it.
When we bought the car, the first of the 2.0L Ecoboost were just starting to hit the lot. A fully loaded Escape was the only thing they had on the lot. So I'm not sure if a EcoBoost Focus has made it to our local lot. I kind of wished we would have waited a couple more months and picked up a EcoBoost powered Focus...but time wasn't exactly on our side at the time.
Quote:
Of course the remote start works with the DCT, it does have a park pawl/gear like an automatic despite not having a torque converter. Its only the manual where you need a clutch switch override to bypass the switch and turn the car on.

It would be possible, but the O.E. remote start allegedly has poorer range than the aftermarket solutions.
I'm not too worried about the range...I'm just interested in KISS for a blonde.
Quote:
zhilton, If you are looking to keep it "blonde" simple, Install the DBALL from xpresskit. You will however need their XKLoader to program the unit in whats called RSR mode. This RSR mode allows you to hit lock 3 times on your factory remote within a few seconds and the car will start up for you. Same thing to turn it off.

The down side to just using the DBALL in the RSR mode is that you are limited to the range of the factory keyless. If you are looking for longer range you can add a remote start to the DBALL in another mode or add what is called their range extender kit
Which sounds like it might work for my favorite blonde! I had read about that DBALL....but was getting a little confused when the abbreviations were thrown in the posts. Will the DBALL shut the engine down when you touch the brake pedal/open the door? Would rather avoid that, but if it's what you have to deal with...it is what it is.

For the record, what is the issue(s) with the OEM offered package? Besides the "lost key" for the FOB I've read about in this thread...or was it another one

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.