MFT vs. CUE - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
MFT vs. CUE

was just reading a review (in edmunds) of the new cadillac ATS w/ GM's CUE ...
Reviewer had the CUE system crash, felt it had illogical paginations, was very slow, came to market ahead of it's time, felt beta like, and on and on..

Reviewer stated that ford's MFT was worlds better than the CUE. hmmmmm

despite all of mft's problems could it be better than we think?.... tho not
as good as audi or bmw's set up which has gotten very good reviews.

What must it be w/ american manufacturers putting tech out before it's fully baked?

just my two cents here...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
Reviewer had the CUE system crash, felt it had illogical paginations, was very slow, came to market ahead of it's time, felt beta like, and on and on..

What must it be w/ american manufacturers putting tech out before it's fully baked?

THe BMW system is better but more so because of user friendliness. It has a knob and physical buttons instead of reaching over and hoping it picks up your feedback when you press. iDrive is also very quick to respond and switch menus. It doesn't exhibit the lag we all have

Aside from that though, I would venture a guess and say MFT has all of the same features as iDrive and even objectively speaking it looks just as sharp. Cant remember all the things a friend of mine was trying to show off in his 3 but nothing stands out MFT doesn't offer. Always walk away impressed by the look and feel of MFT and especially it's Navi, and this IS a Ford were talking about!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
12_T_Hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87898
What I Drive: 12, White Platinum Metallic, Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 12_T_Hatch Good Standing Member
Also remember when BMW rolled the iDrive system out years ago. Car and driver, motor trend, and every other vehicle publication HATED it. Took BMW years to work all the kinks out and delivery a quality system. Ford is on the right path though and as long as they keep listening to the complaints and actively update the program I'd say in a year MFT will be written up better the BMW system.

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Consumer Reports just rated CUE the worst infotaiment system in the latest issue.

"We've criticized other control systems in the past - including BMW's iDrive, Audi's MMI, and some versions of Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch - but we'd take them over CUE. That said, Chrysler's Uconnect touch-screen system tops them all, offering comparable capability while being easier to use."
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
treoless
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96715
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 treoless Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post

Could you post the link to the review?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by treoless View Post
Could you post the link to the review?
Here's one but not with the same quote: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...rustrates.html
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
Here's one but not with the same quote: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...rustrates.html
Thanks for the link.

Read the review and came across this line:

"But CUE hides some icons from sight until your hand comes within proximity of the screen. That creates something of a moving target, frustrating your ability to easily aim for desired on-screen spot. "

Egads! What were they thinking? Icons moving around? That is not what one needs while moving at 55+ mph. People will die from these systems.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
1badgmc
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105435
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 1badgmc Good Standing Member
I don't put a whole lot of stock in anything from Consumer Reports, but it seems like most of the high-feature infotainment systems get horrible reviews when they first come out. The ones that end up being good seem to get it the worst in the beginning. Maybe it's because they're pushing the boundaries a bit and taking chances a little.

I've played with the Cadillac CUE system in both the XTS and the ATS. Just jumping in blind the way I did with MFT when I got my Focus, CUE definitely loses points in user-friendliness. I was able to figure everything out with my MFT right away, but CUE takes a bit of fiddling with. I also don't like how Cadillac has practically done away with all the buttons. For example, the radio volume is a touch panel instead of a button. It's too easy to brush across these "buttons" and change something you didn't want to change, making it even more frustrating. This is the first release of it and I'm sure they'll continue tweaking it. There's only so much you can learn from testing something like this. You have to throw it out there in the public to really see how good (or bad) it is.

One of my issues with CUE is the fact that they put it in the XTS. The ATS buyers will generally be younger and more tech-savvy and less apt to having heart attacks from frustration while learning the CUE system. The XTS replaces the STS and DTS, so it will be picking up the core geriatric segment of Cadillac's customers. These poor people are going to need a 30-day course to learn the CUE system.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
yea MFT still has a big central volume button and (THANK GOD) a dedicated sound button. Have yet to play with CUE but total touch sucks. We also are lucky we have a full dedicated set for Climate with physical buttons. I would have burned the car to the ground if all of that was touch
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
gsxrboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103574
What I Drive: 2012 Black Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 3 gsxrboy Good Standing Member
I am still not experiencing the issues some of you have with MFT. I still have 3.0.2 that was installed by the dealer when I bought the car. Everything works extremely well, voice, phone, music, bluetooth. I have never had an issue with the touch screen as well, I wear thick wool gloves and I can navigate the screen with ease. I use RDIO and it connects immediately with MFT and Sync and begins playing whatever song I have playing on my phone. I currently have a Samsung Nexus 4.2.1, everything is still working 100%. I just wanted to put it out there and make sure others see that not all MFT's are crap.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/gsxrboy/focus

Bookmarks & Social Networks