2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #201
04SVTF303
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98899
What I Drive: 2012 POS

FF Reputation: 1 04SVTF303 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
These interactions are nothing but a waste of time. Back and forth, back and forth over and over again. Now I'm supposed to take it to another dealer, or hope I'm near a dealer when it starts acting up. It's laughable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #202
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTF303 View Post
These interactions are nothing but a waste of time. Back and forth, back and forth over and over again. Now I'm supposed to take it to another dealer, or hope I'm near a dealer when it starts acting up. It's laughable.
This coming appointment will be my second dealership and second appointment. As with you, my problem is becoming more intermittent - this morning, for the first time, it was shifting hard between 4-5-6, but hasn't done it since. However, it did almost stall out about an hour ago - an automatic transmission stalling....wow.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #203
middie8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45082
FF Reputation: 1 middie8 Good Standing Member
Update: I got my car back last night. The dealer replaced the clutch, and two seals. It drives well (for now), but we will see how long this lasts. Judging from the amount of disappointment in this forum, it looks like I will be back in the same spot again in a month or two.

Funny thing is when I asked the shop manager why the clutch failed, he actually took me over to two other 2012 Foci on lifts that were having the exact same repair performed. He told me that the seals have been going (and causing the fluid to leak), and because of that the actuators that control the shifting were out of sync. (We will see if this is BS or factual)

When I asked him if this was common for the 2012 Focus DCT, he actually laughed and said "Oh Yes!, Pretty much everyone we sold has come back like this". Makes you wonder doesn't it.

If my 2001 Focus was this problematic, I definitely would not have bought another Ford.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #204
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,772, Level 32
Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
Update: I got my car back last night. The dealer replaced the clutch, and two seals. It drives well (for now), but we will see how long this lasts. Judging from the amount of disappointment in this forum, it looks like I will be back in the same spot again in a month or two.

Funny thing is when I asked the shop manager why the clutch failed, he actually took me over to two other 2012 Foci on lifts that were having the exact same repair performed. He told me that the seals have been going (and causing the fluid to leak), and because of that the actuators that control the shifting were out of sync. (We will see if this is BS or factual)

When I asked him if this was common for the 2012 Focus DCT, he actually laughed and said "Oh Yes!, Pretty much everyone we sold has come back like this". Makes you wonder doesn't it.

If my 2001 Focus was this problematic, I definitely would not have bought another Ford.
Don't be too pessimistic. Despite the impressions you may get from this board, lots of Focus DCTs work just fine. At least you were able to get a dealer to acknowledge the problem and try to fix it. Lots of posters with DCT issues would love to be in that position.

Don't know about the actuators being "out-of-sync", but oil on the clutch plates can cause an awful lot of problems and seems the most-likely reason for almost all DCT misbehavior. If they've solved that problem you should be in good shape.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #205
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Do people without transmission problems have this behavior? Let the car coast in S fixed gear, then apply the gas and the RPM's jump?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #206
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
I have couple of questions to the FORUM!!
I guess you guys know my problem. I had clutch replaced at around 10kmiles. 300 miles later its all came back. Now Iam at 13800miles, still driving annoyingly.
I looked at the receipt, it says they replaced clutch only without seal.
So question is; how quick oil can damage clutch again(300miles?), and if so, how much oil contamination needed to do the damage? I would imagine it have to be a lot, and I don't see any oily seems between engine and DCT.
And the other one; we all know if Ford did repair clutch ones, they not gonna do it again, they will drag me thru the mud and refuse to pay. So question is: how expansive is to have it done with proffecional shop(materials an labor)? I was thinking if they not gonna do anything at my next oil change that will be my exit strategy, sadly, but I think I have to do it at my cost. Cause so freaking annoying to drive with rattling and shuddering(kills me most). Plus MPG, getting 33-34 HWY, not like used to.
And last but not least; does anyone had a luck to offer to the dealer half of the cost to have all repaired? I know they shouldn't charge anything, since under warranty, but anyway they would be HAPPIER/Faster to do so.
Thx
Steven
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #207
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I guess you guys know my problem. I had clutch replaced at around 10kmiles. 300 miles later its all came back. Now Iam at 13800miles, still driving annoyingly.
So question is; how quick oil can damage clutch again(300miles?), and if so, how much oil contamination needed to do the damage? I would imagine it have to be a lot, and I don't see any oily seems between engine and DCT.
And the other one; we all know if Ford did repair clutch ones, they not gonna do it again, they will drag me thru the mud and refuse to pay. So question is: how expansive is to have it done with proffecional shop(materials an labor)? I was thinking if they not gonna do anything at my next oil change that will be my exit strategy, sadly, but I think I have to do it at my cost. Cause so freaking annoying to drive with rattling and shuddering(kills me most). Plus MPG, getting 33-34 HWY, not like used to.
And last but not least; does anyone had a luck to offer to the dealer half of the cost to have all repaired? I know they shouldn't charge anything, since under warranty, but anyway they would be HAPPIER/Faster to do so.
Thx
Steven
Hey,
Iím not going to tell you how to do things, but if youíre having this many problems, you might want to look into your stateís lemon laws. I found the .pdf file for I and it has a number you can call.
I personally donít think you should spend a dime on that car if it is under warranty. Youíre already making a payment, why should you have to pay for ANY repairs as well?
Here is the link to your stateís lemon laws..

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lembroc.pdf

Scott
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #208
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
Thx
Steven
I have read several posts where the dealer had to pull the transmission out and replace the seal, clutch(s) and throwout bearing(s). There is a TSB to the dealers about leaking oil showing at bottom of bell housing.

See Cory here at this board to have your issue escalated, you CAN get this fixed if you are pro-active.

All my transmission issues disappeared when the cold new england weather hit and/or 13,000 miles, your choice.

my point is, the shudder/hesitation can NOT be normal if it can disappear.

read the many posts here and you will likely know more about these transmissions than your local dealer.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #209
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Thx for reply. I am at the dealer now, the test drive it and found all the symptoms.
Cory would be nice if you can step in, I am at Wayne Ford in Wayne NJ. Leaving now, they said, they will contact Ford for what to do. That's a good sign. I told them I will file for Lemon after second attempt.
Sdwcam01, gave good link, I think I can get results after second attemp.
Mr casandra thx for input, I looked at the receipt, looks like they replaced clutch only, when they did repair 3000miles ago. I asked them about seal, they said its replaced if clutch is wet, I my case they said it wasn't .
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #210
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,791, Level 32
Points: 2,791, Level: 32 Points: 2,791, Level: 32 Points: 2,791, Level: 32
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I see I'm not the only one that considered going halvesies on getting my clutch replaced. I mean, I never went through with it or anything, but I considered it. Then I decided I shouldn't have to pay $800 on a car that is under warranty and filed my complaints accordingly. I've been on a lot of business trips and now I'm on vacation so I haven't really gotten through with submitting all of my paperwork. But I'm working on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks