2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 21 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #201
04SVTF303
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Fan#: 98899
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
What I Drive: 2012 POS

Posts: 51
FF Reputation: 1 04SVTF303 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
These interactions are nothing but a waste of time. Back and forth, back and forth over and over again. Now I'm supposed to take it to another dealer, or hope I'm near a dealer when it starts acting up. It's laughable.
04SVTF303 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #202
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106567
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

Posts: 39
FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SVTF303 View Post
These interactions are nothing but a waste of time. Back and forth, back and forth over and over again. Now I'm supposed to take it to another dealer, or hope I'm near a dealer when it starts acting up. It's laughable.
This coming appointment will be my second dealership and second appointment. As with you, my problem is becoming more intermittent - this morning, for the first time, it was shifting hard between 4-5-6, but hasn't done it since. However, it did almost stall out about an hour ago - an automatic transmission stalling....wow.
sdwcam01 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #203
middie8
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45082
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 15
FF Reputation: 1 middie8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Update: I got my car back last night. The dealer replaced the clutch, and two seals. It drives well (for now), but we will see how long this lasts. Judging from the amount of disappointment in this forum, it looks like I will be back in the same spot again in a month or two.

Funny thing is when I asked the shop manager why the clutch failed, he actually took me over to two other 2012 Foci on lifts that were having the exact same repair performed. He told me that the seals have been going (and causing the fluid to leak), and because of that the actuators that control the shifting were out of sync. (We will see if this is BS or factual)

When I asked him if this was common for the 2012 Focus DCT, he actually laughed and said "Oh Yes!, Pretty much everyone we sold has come back like this". Makes you wonder doesn't it.

If my 2001 Focus was this problematic, I definitely would not have bought another Ford.
middie8 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #204
dan50
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91789
Location: Too much info, IL
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Posts: 1,162
Points 2,772, Level 32
Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32 Points: 2,772, Level: 32
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by middie8 View Post
Update: I got my car back last night. The dealer replaced the clutch, and two seals. It drives well (for now), but we will see how long this lasts. Judging from the amount of disappointment in this forum, it looks like I will be back in the same spot again in a month or two.

Funny thing is when I asked the shop manager why the clutch failed, he actually took me over to two other 2012 Foci on lifts that were having the exact same repair performed. He told me that the seals have been going (and causing the fluid to leak), and because of that the actuators that control the shifting were out of sync. (We will see if this is BS or factual)

When I asked him if this was common for the 2012 Focus DCT, he actually laughed and said "Oh Yes!, Pretty much everyone we sold has come back like this". Makes you wonder doesn't it.

If my 2001 Focus was this problematic, I definitely would not have bought another Ford.
Don't be too pessimistic. Despite the impressions you may get from this board, lots of Focus DCTs work just fine. At least you were able to get a dealer to acknowledge the problem and try to fix it. Lots of posters with DCT issues would love to be in that position.

Don't know about the actuators being "out-of-sync", but oil on the clutch plates can cause an awful lot of problems and seems the most-likely reason for almost all DCT misbehavior. If they've solved that problem you should be in good shape.
dan50 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #205
paul21
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 87707
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

Posts: 181
FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


Do people without transmission problems have this behavior? Let the car coast in S fixed gear, then apply the gas and the RPM's jump?
paul21 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #206
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101029
Location: Clifton, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have couple of questions to the FORUM!!
I guess you guys know my problem. I had clutch replaced at around 10kmiles. 300 miles later its all came back. Now Iam at 13800miles, still driving annoyingly.
I looked at the receipt, it says they replaced clutch only without seal.
So question is; how quick oil can damage clutch again(300miles?), and if so, how much oil contamination needed to do the damage? I would imagine it have to be a lot, and I don't see any oily seems between engine and DCT.
And the other one; we all know if Ford did repair clutch ones, they not gonna do it again, they will drag me thru the mud and refuse to pay. So question is: how expansive is to have it done with proffecional shop(materials an labor)? I was thinking if they not gonna do anything at my next oil change that will be my exit strategy, sadly, but I think I have to do it at my cost. Cause so freaking annoying to drive with rattling and shuddering(kills me most). Plus MPG, getting 33-34 HWY, not like used to.
And last but not least; does anyone had a luck to offer to the dealer half of the cost to have all repaired? I know they shouldn't charge anything, since under warranty, but anyway they would be HAPPIER/Faster to do so.
Thx
Steven
Ysteven is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #207
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fan#: 106567
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

Posts: 39
FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I have couple of questions to the FORUM!!
I guess you guys know my problem. I had clutch replaced at around 10kmiles. 300 miles later its all came back. Now Iam at 13800miles, still driving annoyingly.
I looked at the receipt, it says they replaced clutch only without seal.
So question is; how quick oil can damage clutch again(300miles?), and if so, how much oil contamination needed to do the damage? I would imagine it have to be a lot, and I don't see any oily seems between engine and DCT.
And the other one; we all know if Ford did repair clutch ones, they not gonna do it again, they will drag me thru the mud and refuse to pay. So question is: how expansive is to have it done with proffecional shop(materials an labor)? I was thinking if they not gonna do anything at my next oil change that will be my exit strategy, sadly, but I think I have to do it at my cost. Cause so freaking annoying to drive with rattling and shuddering(kills me most). Plus MPG, getting 33-34 HWY, not like used to.
And last but not least; does anyone had a luck to offer to the dealer half of the cost to have all repaired? I know they shouldn't charge anything, since under warranty, but anyway they would be HAPPIER/Faster to do so.
Thx
Steven
Hey,
Iím not going to tell you how to do things, but if youíre having this many problems, you might want to look into your stateís lemon laws. I found the .pdf file for I and it has a number you can call.
I personally donít think you should spend a dime on that car if it is under warranty. Youíre already making a payment, why should you have to pay for ANY repairs as well?
Here is the link to your stateís lemon laws..

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/ocp/lembroc.pdf

Scott
sdwcam01 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #208
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95399
Location: somewhere, MA
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Posts: 726
Points 310, Level 6
Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6 Points: 310, Level: 6
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ysteven View Post
I have couple of questions to the FORUM!!
I guess you guys know my problem. I had clutch replaced at around 10kmiles. 300 miles later its all came back. Now Iam at 13800miles, still driving annoyingly.
I looked at the receipt, it says they replaced clutch only without seal.
So question is; how quick oil can damage clutch again(300miles?), and if so, how much oil contamination needed to do the damage? I would imagine it have to be a lot, and I don't see any oily seems between engine and DCT.
And the other one; we all know if Ford did repair clutch ones, they not gonna do it again, they will drag me thru the mud and refuse to pay. So question is: how expansive is to have it done with proffecional shop(materials an labor)? I was thinking if they not gonna do anything at my next oil change that will be my exit strategy, sadly, but I think I have to do it at my cost. Cause so freaking annoying to drive with rattling and shuddering(kills me most). Plus MPG, getting 33-34 HWY, not like used to.
And last but not least; does anyone had a luck to offer to the dealer half of the cost to have all repaired? I know they shouldn't charge anything, since under warranty, but anyway they would be HAPPIER/Faster to do so.
Thx
Steven
I have read several posts where the dealer had to pull the transmission out and replace the seal, clutch(s) and throwout bearing(s). There is a TSB to the dealers about leaking oil showing at bottom of bell housing.

See Cory here at this board to have your issue escalated, you CAN get this fixed if you are pro-active.

All my transmission issues disappeared when the cold new england weather hit and/or 13,000 miles, your choice.

my point is, the shudder/hesitation can NOT be normal if it can disappear.

read the many posts here and you will likely know more about these transmissions than your local dealer.
mr_cassandra is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #209
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101029
Location: Clifton, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

Posts: 85
FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thx for reply. I am at the dealer now, the test drive it and found all the symptoms.
Cory would be nice if you can step in, I am at Wayne Ford in Wayne NJ. Leaving now, they said, they will contact Ford for what to do. That's a good sign. I told them I will file for Lemon after second attempt.
Sdwcam01, gave good link, I think I can get results after second attemp.
Mr casandra thx for input, I looked at the receipt, looks like they replaced clutch only, when they did repair 3000miles ago. I asked them about seal, they said its replaced if clutch is wet, I my case they said it wasn't .
Ysteven is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #210
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,851
Points 2,791, Level 32
Points: 2,791, Level: 32 Points: 2,791, Level: 32 Points: 2,791, Level: 32
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 27%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%
FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I see I'm not the only one that considered going halvesies on getting my clutch replaced. I mean, I never went through with it or anything, but I considered it. Then I decided I shouldn't have to pay $800 on a car that is under warranty and filed my complaints accordingly. I've been on a lot of business trips and now I'm on vacation so I haven't really gotten through with submitting all of my paperwork. But I'm working on it.
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Kona Blue, Built 5/24/2011, 401A + Ti Handling Package, Parking Technology Package, Winter Package, Moonroof, and MFT w/NAV at v3.6 96k miles and counting...
PratoN is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.