Dome light not coming on automatically at night - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
annewaldron
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104034
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 annewaldron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dome light not coming on automatically at night

2012 FF Hatchback new owner here.

I've had to work late a couple nights this last week, and I noticed as I unlocked and got into my car that it was pitch black inside, which didn't make me feel very safe in a dark parking lot (The footwells illuminated, however). I looked in the owner manual, and all it said was that the dome light should be coming on automatically. The manual shows the dome light with a forward-placed button and a button behind the light, But mine actually has two buttons that are forward from the light, and I have no idea what the passenger side button is supposed to control, which has some kind of little graphic and the word "off". I fiddled around with all of these buttons and was not able to get the dome light to come on automatically when I opened up the car.

But here's the strange thing. On the third night of getting into a dark car I called the dealership which was still open and they said to bring it in and they'd help me figure it out. When I got there, I got out of my car, closed the door and locked it up, and unlocked it just as a test to make sure that I could recreate the problem. The freaking dome light came on when I unlocked the car! I was not able to re-create the problem, and I was exhausted, so I just got back in my car and drove home. They were busy in the dealer service area anyway and since I couldn't re-create the problem which I know they require, I just gave up for the night.

So I'm still in the dark, so to speak! I have no idea what's going on here. Comes on sometimes, doesn't come on other times. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,298, Level 35
Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35 Points: 3,298, Level: 35
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by annewaldron View Post
2012 FF Hatchback new owner here.

I've had to work late a couple nights this last week, and I noticed as I unlocked and got into my car that it was pitch black inside, which didn't make me feel very safe in a dark parking lot (The footwells illuminated, however). I looked in the owner manual, and all it said was that the dome light should be coming on automatically. The manual shows the dome light with a forward-placed button and a button behind the light, But mine actually has two buttons that are forward from the light, and I have no idea what the passenger side button is supposed to control, which has some kind of little graphic and the word "off". I fiddled around with all of these buttons and was not able to get the dome light to come on automatically when I opened up the car.

But here's the strange thing. On the third night of getting into a dark car I called the dealership which was still open and they said to bring it in and they'd help me figure it out. When I got there, I got out of my car, closed the door and locked it up, and unlocked it just as a test to make sure that I could recreate the problem. The freaking dome light came on when I unlocked the car! I was not able to re-create the problem, and I was exhausted, so I just got back in my car and drove home. They were busy in the dealer service area anyway and since I couldn't re-create the problem which I know they require, I just gave up for the night.

So I'm still in the dark, so to speak! I have no idea what's going on here. Comes on sometimes, doesn't come on other times. Any ideas?
Hey there,

How frustrating! The next time you take your Focus in for an oil change or other scheduled maintenance, tell the Service Advisor about the dome light so they can take a look. It may be something as simple as a loose connection. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via PM; I'm happy to see how I can help.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
annewaldron
Focus Rookie

Well my experience is that if the problem's not happening when I'm there (because it didn't happen when I took it there the other night), they won't do anything. I've already had that experience with them twice before :(

(I mean, I get it, but it's a big inconvenience for me to go there for nothing)
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
annewaldron
Focus Rookie

Update: took the car in, they checked the service codes- nothing. But the dome light still comes on only intermittently. And unfortunately I have to get in my car late at night sometimes- don't feel safe.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
1slofofo
Adam

Fan#: 92422
What I Drive: Mk3

Points 4,504, Level 42
Points: 4,504, Level: 42 Points: 4,504, Level: 42 Points: 4,504, Level: 42
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 6 1slofofo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine is flawless during the day, half and half at night. I've noticed that hitting unlock twice helps sometimes.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
annewaldron
Focus Rookie

I tried unlock twice, too. Tried all kinds of stuff.

The weird thing is that if I leave work by around 7 (after dark), it usually comes on. If I leave after 8, it doesn't.

???
Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

Points 427, Level 8
Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
I've noticed this since I bought the car. I think it has something to do with the buttons on the overhead dome light. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully someone will chime in who figured it out - there are some determined people on this site... This drives my youngest child crazy because the booster seat he is in has a back that is too square for the seat, so when he climbs in, the seat will shift and block the seat belt just enough that he can't buckle in by feel.

Maybe the Ford customer service reps who frequent the site will have a solution.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
MK3_TX
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106793
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford white SE Hatch W/ 201A

FF Reputation: 1 MK3_TX Good Standing Member
Between the two buttons in front of the light towards the car,one is to turn on all the inside dome lamps...the other to completely turn off all of them even with the doors open. The big button on the backside of the front dome lamp is for the front light only. I know my experience was if you have the domes set to " off" and press it again while the door is open it will not come on . You have to close all doors and when you reopen it they will come one . Hope that makes sense ,sitting on the toilet typing this on my phone !
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
Pinarello Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102280
What I Drive: 2012 Red Focus SE 5sp 5dr sport

Points 427, Level 8
Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Pinarello Rider Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3_TX View Post
,sitting on the toilet typing this on my phone !
What did I say about determined...?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
annewaldron
Focus Rookie

Checking in to say that my dome lights came on. It's 6:30.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.