2012 focus - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #31
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 45853
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

Points 645, Level 12
Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 oshoguno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
This is a great car for the money if it runs right and Ford didn't get this big not caring aboyut customers, but you MUST be proactive, read all the posts across this site by searching focus 2012 transmission. Know the tsb's that are out there, read consumer reports reviews, if the dealer won't help, talk to Crystal here at this board and get your case escalated.
I think this is part of the problem. Why is it WE have to do most of the research in order to protect our own interests. Knowing the TSB's and reviews is great for the lower percentage of the population that tracks the forums, asks questions and posts messages, but what about the greater number of people who don't? If it is this hard for us well informed individuals to get our cars fixed then what about the less internet savvy, the less informed and the people who just don't think about these things the way we do. The ones who take their cars to the dealer and take the "questionable" answers they are given as gospel. Why is it one dealer will tell you something is normal and the next will understand and fix it for you. I just wish all car manufactures and dealerships were held more accountable. Ford Customer Service on this site is great, but that may be because we are considered more of a squeaky wheel. People who don't make their situations know, opinions known and are generally more publicly vocal may not get the same level of attention.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #32
12_T_Hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87898
What I Drive: 12, White Platinum Metallic, Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 12_T_Hatch Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshoguno View Post
I think this is part of the problem. Why is it WE have to do most of the research in order to protect our own interests. Knowing the TSB's and reviews is great for the lower percentage of the population that tracks the forums, asks questions and posts messages, but what about the greater number of people who don't? If it is this hard for us well informed individuals to get our cars fixed then what about the less internet savvy, the less informed and the people who just don't think about these things the way we do. The ones who take their cars to the dealer and take the "questionable" answers they are given as gospel. Why is it one dealer will tell you something is normal and the next will understand and fix it for you. I just wish all car manufactures and dealerships were held more accountable. Ford Customer Service on this site is great, but that may be because we are considered more of a squeaky wheel. People who don't make their situations know, opinions known and are generally more publicly vocal may not get the same level of attention.
I can't agree with you more man. It's sad that I have to go to the dealership and tell the service manager what the issue is and where to go for the solution. Seems more and more service departments are taking the easy line of "that's normal" rather then actually diagnosing the problem. I even took the time as Crystal said and brought my service advisor for a ride, and he agreed there was an issue. One day later he called me and said my car was ready for pickup - when I asked what they did he said nothing, that its how the car is supposed to operate. Keep in mind two days ago he said my car was acting weird when he went for a ride with me...

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #33
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 322, Level 6
Points: 322, Level: 6 Points: 322, Level: 6 Points: 322, Level: 6
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
I agree with you in principle and theory but at age 60, it has been my experience that life does not work as we feel it should. You work hard for your money like I do and I am willing to go the extra mile to make sure I get what I paid for. All auto companies balance off a problem like this against what a worldwide recall will cost them.
In addition, as you can read here, some dealers understand the difference between "this is normal" and "this is awful".
This is a killer car for the money when the transmission runs right, you could not touch the performance without spending 10,000 more for a VW GTI or Audi A3.
But its no use saying what they "should" do, also no use getting discuraged and selling the car, taking a big loss on depreciation and sales tax.
Make Ford honor their automobile. If you search and read this entire board for "2012 focus transmission" you will end up knowing more about this subject thant any dealer/mechanic/customer service rep.
Do not just take the party line "this is normal" and go home all pissed off. Find and print the TSB's and recall and ask the dealer about them, have they been done to YOUR car ?
If the dealer won't help, see Crystal here at this forum, she can and will escalate your issue.

There are a few distinct levels of this problem

1. "this is normal" - slight shudder-heistate only on low speed shift
2. shudder-hesitation-rattle pronounced enough that your passengers ask about it
3. major bogging down on shifts enough to be a danger in traffic.

there are a few distinct fixes available

1. if its the hardly perceptible normal shudder, live with it, same as VW GTI
adapt to it, use a bit more gas on starts, same as a manual needs.
2. get the TSB's-reflashes-recalls done
3. have it checked for leaky seals, bad throwout bearings
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch999999 View Post
I'm wishing I bought the manual, 700 miles on my Focus and I think I'm having the same issue.
Do you have enough 9ís in your name, r1ch999999? LOL JK

On a serious note, my name is Cory and Iím able to send this up to your regional customer service manager. Drop me a line via PM with your contact information (including your full name, mileage, daytime phone number, dealer name/state, and VIN).

Quote:
...if the dealer won't help, talk to Crystal here at this board and get your case escalated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oshoguno View Post
...Ford Customer Service on this site is great...
mr_cassandra & oshoguno,

Crystal sends her love from the other boards. Iím the new Ford Service ďkid on the blockĒ; you can send questions/concerns to me now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch View Post
...I even took the time as Crystal said and brought my service advisor for a ride, and he agreed there was an issue. One day later he called me and said my car was ready for pickup - when I asked what they did he said nothing...
How has your shifting been lately, 12_T_Hatch? I see you have an open escalation with Austin. Please send me a PM if you want a follow-up call sooner.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 12-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #35
r1ch999999
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106748
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 r1ch999999 Good Standing Member
Yeah, it's a throw back to my AIM name from back in the day when you were limited to ten characters and everything was already taken.

I haven't talked to my dealer yet, I've seen the problem a 2-3 times, all in the last few days. If I can repeat it then I'll bring it in, otherwise I don't know what I'd say.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #36
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

Points 322, Level 6
Points: 322, Level: 6 Points: 322, Level: 6 Points: 322, Level: 6
Level Up 44% Completed
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Do you have enough 9ís in your name, r1ch999999? LOL JK

On a serious note, my name is Cory and Iím able to send this up to your regional customer service manager. Drop me a line via PM with your contact information (including your full name, mileage, daytime phone number, dealer name/state, and VIN).

mr_cassandra & oshoguno,

Crystal sends her love from the other boards. Iím the new Ford Service ďkid on the blockĒ; you can send questions/concerns to me now.

Have you seen a change in your shifting, 12_T_Hatch? I see you have an open escalation with Austin. Please send me a PM if you want a sooner follow-up call.

Cory
Thanks Cory, I have already had the TSB's and a recall but the problem still persisted and ford customer service relayed me that same old "this is normal" message. I am a former VW GTI owner and can assure you its not normal when it is at the level where your passengers ask whats wrong.

BUT...when the colder new england weather hit and/or if you will my focus hitb 13,000 miles, the problems became so minor that NOW I would call it normal for a dual clutch transmission.

The question for Ford and all the readers here to ponder is: if the stutter-hesitation, rattling is "normal"

How can it disappear ?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,295, Level 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ch999999 View Post
Yeah, it's a throw back to my AIM name from back in the day when you were limited to ten characters and everything was already taken. I haven't talked to my dealer yet, I've seen the problem a 2-3 times...
r1ch999999,

Nice; throwbacks are awesome.

Shoot me a PM when youíre getting ready to head to the dealer.

Quote:
Thanks Cory, I have already had the TSB's and a recall but the problem still persisted...BUT...when the colder new england weather hit and/or if you will my focus hitb 13,000 miles, the problems became so minor that NOW I would call it normal for a dual clutch transmission...
You got it, mr_cassandra. Keep me in the loop on how itís shifting and let me know if you want my assistance.

Cory

Old 12-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

Points 1,131, Level 18
Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18 Points: 1,131, Level: 18
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
The question for Ford and all the readers here to ponder is: if the stutter-hesitation, rattling is "normal"

How can it disappear ?
Excellent question, on point. My garage is actually my workshop with storage in front of the car and to the left, and a large workbench to the right. I have a parking limiter (Green/Yellow/Red) sonic detector to permit me to park with just enough room for the door to close without hitting the rear bumper, and enough room in front for me to walk between the car and the storage.

I have to creep into the garage to hit the red light exactly so the DCT is "riding the clutches" for sure. I have no shudder when pulling in, ever. I get a "wee bit" of a shudder if I drive off very slowly from a stop but not always. Also, I live in the country and it is a mile up a pretty steep dirt road to my house. I negotiate about 90% of the trip in S1 and the car never shudders even though I keep my speed between 5 and 15mph all the way up.

Mine is an October 2011 build with the TSB reflash applied at about 1000 miles and I now have about 18,000 happy miles on it.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #39
12_T_Hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87898
What I Drive: 12, White Platinum Metallic, Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 12_T_Hatch Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post

How has your shifting been lately, 12_T_Hatch? I see you have an open escalation with Austin. Please send me a PM if you want a follow-up call sooner.

Cory
Cory - Just got the car back from another stint in service (as I'm sure you can see in my case file). There is a faint hesitation and shudder now, and if the car holds true to form - it will get worse with miles. This will cause me to bring it in for another lecture in how the DCT operates and a reprogramming of the transmission which will smooth it out for a few hundred miles, then rinse and repeat...

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,295, Level 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 21%
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
...Mine is an October 2011 build with the TSB reflash applied at about 1000 miles and I now have about 18,000 happy miles on it.
I love that you enjoy your ride, flingwing1969; thanks so much for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch View Post
Cory - Just got the car back from another stint in service (as I'm sure you can see in my case file)...
12_T_Hatch,

Yes, I also see Austin scheduled a follow-up call for you. Please keep me in the loop.

Cory

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.