IMPORTANT: ALL MK3 Focus Owners, I could use your input. - Page 24 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #231
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
So, after I went to test drive another Focus ST this evening, I decided to give the troubleshooting another shot.

I tried applying some silicone adhesive to the underside of the strut tower brace tonight, to see if I can eliminate the strut brace as the culprit. I'm going to let it cure and see what happens over the next day or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #232
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillon View Post
So, after I went to test drive another Focus ST this evening, I decided to give the troubleshooting another shot.

I tried applying some silicone adhesive to the underside of the strut tower brace tonight, to see if I can eliminate the strut brace as the culprit. I'm going to let it cure and see what happens over the next day or so.
Thanks for all your patience Zillion, I really hope we get to the bottom of this.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #233
tang122
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105830
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Gray

FF Reputation: 1 tang122 Good Standing Member
Seriously, I think we should begin to do something different. We can either contact a lawyer or contact a writer from Edmunds., Motor trend, Customer reports...etc. So far, all we have discussed here is how to solve the clunk. That is exactly what Ford wants us to do, so they can easily send a CSM here to maintain this situation. The "2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)" thread is a evidence. 164 pages but no solution. This one only has 24 pages yet...

I'm not going to contact a lemon law lawyer this year. I'd like to give ford another shot when the weather gets hot. I recently had the dealership replaced the strut mount again. That was the 6th attempt. The clunk was somehow improved. But I can still duplicate it on the driveway in front of my apt, if I drive slowly enough over some cracks. I post two videos here.
http://youtu.be/F5hvHBVBego
http://youtu.be/mBZ2A1TtJD8
These two videos were recorded between the last attempt and a 3weeks full time service. If you guys have time, you can post your videos to let more people know how annoying it is. I've tried the credit card trick, no luck.

This noise is not a CIA or FBI classified. So, Cory, please tell your boss that if they don't give us the truth, they will loss many potential and loyal customers.

I also made some assumptions. Maybe 2012 is a bad year for ford so they don't want to add any more expense to the rest of 2012, so "hopefully" they can release a TSB in earlier 2013. Maybe they are not working on that. Maybe this noise is just too costly to fix.

Thanks for all the works you have done Zillion. But we should realize that this clunk is not our responsibility.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #234
BlazeFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104991
What I Drive: _

FF Reputation: 2 BlazeFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang122 View Post

I'm not going to contact a lemon law lawyer this year. I'd like to give ford another shot when the weather gets hot. I recently had the dealership replaced the strut mount again. That was the 6th attempt. The clunk was somehow improved. But I can still duplicate it on the driveway in front of my apt, if I drive slowly enough over some cracks. I post two videos here.
http://youtu.be/F5hvHBVBego
http://youtu.be/mBZ2A1TtJD8
These two videos were recorded between the last attempt and a 3weeks full time service. If you guys have time, you can post your videos to let more people know how annoying it is. I've tried the credit card trick, no luck.
Sounds like you drove over two speed bumps at something over 25 MPH in that second video. True statement?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #235
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 GTI

FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Of course this clunk shouldn't be our responsibility. Unfortunately for us, the manufacturer refuses to take responsibility, or even let us know what kind of developments are going on. We're completely in the dark here.

I've had my case re-escalated to my CSM, since the noise returned. Not sure what that's going to do for me, considering the work I've done and the parts I've installed, but hell, what do I have to lose at this point?

The ST I drove last night was rock solid and silent. There's no excuse for this.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #236
tang122
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105830
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL Gray

FF Reputation: 1 tang122 Good Standing Member
Sorry, I can't recall. But there is no speed bumps near campus. So, two manholes or just two big cracks I guess. The speed limit on that road is 25.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #237
GhiaFan
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

FF Reputation: 9 GhiaFan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Technically that's not the only EcoBoost engine, and the 2.0 L, and 3.5L have had smooth launches by comparison.

The 1.6 had been used for at least 18 months in Europe before it ever came here, so what is causing the issues all of a sudden if it wasn't happening there? Or was it happening there but no one cared to mention this?
Zero issues from Ford Euro 1.6 EcoBoost owners, also zero issues from Volvo 1.6 EcoBoost owners issues.
Volvo uses the 1.6 EB throughout their line up, except the XC90
To say Euro owners don't care or are not vocal if problems arise with their vehicles run is ridiculous.
BTW the 1.6 EcoBoost launched in the C-Max at the 2009 Frankfurt Auto Show
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #238
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Zero issues from Ford Euro 1.6 EcoBoost owners, also zero issues from Volvo 1.6 EcoBoost owners issues.
Volvo uses the 1.6 EB throughout their line up, except the XC90
To say Euro owners don't care or are not vocal if problems arise with their vehicles run is ridiculous.
BTW the 1.6 EcoBoost launched in the C-Max at the 2009 Frankfurt Auto Show
Please remain on the topic of the suspension noise from now.

What I was trying to say was that I had not heard of issues with this power train in Europe, and that unless it was happening, without there being a vocal presence there were therefore no reported cases of the engine catching on fire. That was not to infer that Europeans are not vocal or do not care. Although only the Focus seems to be using the 180PS version of the engine as far as I'm aware, although its possible that its also on the C-Max and Kuga as well as the less powerful 150 ps version.

Is it the production rates that are causing an issue, is it something to do with changes made to the U.S. bound engines for emissions or other reasons? Until we know the root cause we can't determine this from the limited evidence provided.

Last edited by suss6052; 12-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #239
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE sedan

FF Reputation: 8 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I was finally able to talk directly to the rep who I've been dealing with via voicemail. I'll be booking the Focus in at work and am to let him know when I have.

Round 1 will be inspection for any loose bolts/parts/obvious errors I think.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #240
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

FF Reputation: 7 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I had a clunk in my 2008 cobalt that was like your describing. After getting front struts changed clunk continued, still from the front. The solution turned out to be the rear struts were no good and by some trick of sound from inside the car the noise came from the front

Bookmarks & Social Networks