Rain Sensing Wipers - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REK21 View Post
I thought with the auto wipers, you also get the auto lamp feature that turns on headlights when wipers activate. It's in the in dash menu under lighting. I can turn it on, but since I don't have auto wipers, it doesn't do anything.
Rain lamps works automatically in the standard low or high speed setting of the regular variable intermittent wipers to turn on the headlamps, in fact it doesn't seem to work in the intermittent speed setting, but that is by design I think.

My car turns on the headlamps automatically in the rain with the wipers on low or high for as long as the wipers are running + a minute or two after turning the wipers either off or to the intermittent setting if its not dark enough to also trigger the auto lamps to kick on.

So I'm not sure why you say it does not work with the standard wiper settings on the 2012+ and more specifically the SEL like mine and yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
REK21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104472
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL

FF Reputation: 1 REK21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I will double check in the am, it's possible I didn't realize they were on, or that I had it in an intermittent setting.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
12_T_Hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87898
What I Drive: 12, White Platinum Metallic, Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 12_T_Hatch Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey there,

Definitely bring this up the next time you talk to your CSM; they can always consult with a technical subject matter expert to get a definitive answer in the hands of your dealer.

Have a great day,
Crystal
Crystal, that may be how it's supposed to work, but my CSM told me she cannot tell a dealership how to fix a problem. So she had me drive forty miles further to the next dealership to see if they will fix the problem. To add to my frustration, there has been no action taken with the dealer considering they lied to my face about this issue and how they got in a new Focus and it did the same thing... Funny considering rain sensing wipers arent offered on any 2013 Focus... Maybe the typical customer would never have checked into the issue further, but now that I caught them in a lie I cant help but wonder - what else have they lied about?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I always turn mine off, but now I'll try and see what happens in the next few days.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Rain lamps works automatically in the standard low or high speed setting of the regular variable intermittent wipers to turn on the headlamps, in fact it doesn't seem to work in the intermittent speed setting, but that is by design I think.

My car turns on the headlamps automatically in the rain with the wipers on low or high for as long as the wipers are running + a minute or two after turning the wipers either off or to the intermittent setting if its not dark enough to also trigger the auto lamps to kick on.

So I'm not sure why you say it does not work with the standard wiper settings on the 2012+ and more specifically the SEL like mine and yours.
They do NOT work with the wipers in rain sensing mode though, and CA law says lights on whenever wipers are on.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe
Old 12-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #16
12_T_Hatch
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87898
What I Drive: 12, White Platinum Metallic, Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 12_T_Hatch Good Standing Member
Well Plaza Lincoln, after five days, finally fixed the wiper issued. The updated and reprogrammed every module in the car, replaced the rain sensor itself and finally the switch on the steering wheel column. Apparently the later had a faulty connection. Oh they also replaced my battery as they ran it down due to leaving the car "on" without actually starting the vehicle. Hopefully this fixes my issue.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
I do, but it's in french and wont help you at all :)

Here is the part number of the rain sensing module:
Part changed: Rain sensor unit: CV6Z - 17D547 - A
some of us can read and speak french... just sayin' :)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch View Post
Well Plaza Lincoln, after five days, finally fixed the wiper issued. The updated and reprogrammed every module in the car, replaced the rain sensor itself and finally the switch on the steering wheel column. Apparently the later had a faulty connection. Oh they also replaced my battery as they ran it down due to leaving the car "on" without actually starting the vehicle. Hopefully this fixes my issue.
Let us know if this fixes the problem. Mine does the same thing and I just assumed it was a design flaw.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 AM   #19
Faygo Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85587
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Ti with James Bond Pkg

FF Reputation: 2 Faygo Focus Good Standing Member
Mine has done this also since day one and I thought it was some type of calibration thing going on. I leave it off until I sense it might sprinkle, then turn it off when I park.

Is there a TSB for this dry wipe on start thing?

Posts like this one where BMW drivers discussed their normal dry wipe made me think this was normal for us too:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129...eld-wiper.html
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
descentgate
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86793
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Tinted Metallic SEL

FF Reputation: 1 descentgate Good Standing Member
I'll be honest, I've had periods where my rain sensing wipers don't do the dry swipe, but they'll still do it about 30% of the time.

I know it shouldn't come to this but, this is how I get my rain wipers to NOT do the dry swipe 70% of the time when the stalk is in the rain sensing position, when coming to my locked car in the morning...

1) Hit the lock key, and let the car flash once.
2) Hit unlock after the lights turn off.
3) Turn on the car.

If the swipe was normal, this procedure SHOULDN'T lead to no dry swipe. But it does work pretty well. Don't know if this would work on anyone else's car.

- 2002 Ford Focus ZTS (CD Silver Metallic)
- 2012 Ford Focus SEL (Blue Candy Tinted Metallic)

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->