LED experts chime in - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
mr1mrwun
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94331
What I Drive: '02 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 mr1mrwun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
LED experts chime in

I'm planning on doing a full custom LED install on my exterior lights. I don't want to change the flasher relay mainly cuz I like the hyper flash.

My question is would having the stock relay constantly hyper flashing due to the lack of resistance cause the relay to fail prematurely?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I've yet to see a single flasher fail yet with stock bulbs. So based on that I'm going to say, no. It will outlast the car.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
calebstubstad
Chef Boyardee

Fan#: 103240
What I Drive: 2000 Atlantic Blue LX

FF Reputation: 4 calebstubstad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
noob question: what is hyperflash? everyone talks about it and idk what it is lol
Rally Revolution #43
[HOONIGAN]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
Not the bear the zoo deserves, but the bear the zoo needs.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebstubstad View Post
noob question: what is hyperflash? everyone talks about it and idk what it is lol
Its when people use an LED bulb without a resistor , and it looks like a light is flashing really fast instead of a slower pace like there suppose too.
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1mrwun View Post
My question is would having the stock relay constantly hyper flashing due to the lack of resistance cause the relay to fail prematurely?
Do the 1st gen models actually have a relay? My 07 does not. I did not think turn signal relays had been used for decades. To answer your question, this must be determined. Remember though, in electrical/electronics, there is no 'free lunch'.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
The GEM handles the blink function if I'm not mistaken, and there's a little speaker that makes the sound in the steering column.

Most of my exterior is LED and I have resistors on the blinker circuit. Then I found out that the GEM doesn't like having little resistance to the running light circuit. With no resistance in the running light circuit the blinkers didn't work correctly, the opposite side would blink faintly. Plus with the hazards the door chime would beep and the interior lights would flash. So I added small load resistors on the running light side to fix it.

You might be able to not add resistors to the blinkers, but won't get away without having any resistors at all; at least with out a lot of annoying problems.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

What Sniper Focus said. Without any resistance in series, you have a 'run away' condition. feedback issues etc. The flasher driver is designed for incandescent. AS you wanted a "LED expert", to achieve a high flash rate, you need an LED interface circuit that 1: provides the required resistance for the OEM flasher circuit. 2: A timer (async) that produces X 'flashes' per second. 3: adjustable LED driver output section (so you can adjust based on LED specs which can change). I would suggest (rough assumption) not to exceed 2-3 flashes per second.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
mr1mrwun
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Focus View Post
The GEM handles the blink function if I'm not mistaken, and there's a little speaker that makes the sound in the steering column.

Most of my exterior is LED and I have resistors on the blinker circuit. Then I found out that the GEM doesn't like having little resistance to the running light circuit. With no resistance in the running light circuit the blinkers didn't work correctly, the opposite side would blink faintly. Plus with the hazards the door chime would beep and the interior lights would flash. So I added small load resistors on the running light side to fix it.

You might be able to not add resistors to the blinkers, but won't get away without having any resistors at all; at least with out a lot of annoying problems.
Okay, maybe I worded it wrong. I've been doing research on how to correctly plan out and make an array of LEDs. Not planning on using bulbs but making my own custom setup inside the light housings. So I know resistors are needed in the circuits for the LEDs to work properly to begin with. Also from my research I found out that just a LED bulb swap makes the GEM (thanks for that) think that the lights are not working/burnt out, hence the hyper flash, because of the missing resistance from what used to be incandescent bulbs. So when I do this will the GEM's life be diminished because of the state it will be put in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
What Sniper Focus said. Without any resistance in series, you have a 'run away' condition. feedback issues etc. The flasher driver is designed for incandescent. AS you wanted a "LED expert", to achieve a high flash rate, you need an LED interface circuit that 1: provides the required resistance for the OEM flasher circuit. 2: A timer (async) that produces X 'flashes' per second. 3: adjustable LED driver output section (so you can adjust based on LED specs which can change). I would suggest (rough assumption) not to exceed 2-3 flashes per second.
Thanks for that info. Gonna have to look into that LED control interface. Would you have any suggestions for me to start looking in the right direction?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

OK. I have tried to find the more advanced kits for you. They apparently no longer exist. The closest one I could find is here
http://www.mtmscientific.com/timer.html
You would need to reengineer the output (relay not suitable),timing cycles etc. I was trying to find the dual timer brds but no luck. I wanted to stay with a 555 as they can drive a power trans directly.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
mr1mrwun
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
OK. I have tried to find the more advanced kits for you. They apparently no longer exist. The closest one I could find is here
http://www.mtmscientific.com/timer.html
You would need to reengineer the output (relay not suitable),timing cycles etc. I was trying to find the dual timer brds but no luck. I wanted to stay with a 555 as they can drive a power trans directly.
Thanks for that.

Pardon my ignorance, like I said I'm still learning about LEDs and small circuits, but is that timer a standalone or would I just need integrate it into the car's flasher circuit past the GEM? Or is it something I can/should put on the bread board for each separate array?

Both you and the description says it's a kit. So some searching on DIY electronics forums are in order. Still have a lot of research and learning to do!

Btw, whats a brd?

Bookmarks & Social Networks