High Idle - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
cyoun012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91345
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 cyoun012 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm wondering if cleaning my Throttle Body just moved the gunk down into the IAC valve. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and try to clean it. I'm a rookie, so is there any advice out there so i don't it up?
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

Points 7,696, Level 58
Points: 7,696, Level: 58 Points: 7,696, Level: 58 Points: 7,696, Level: 58
Level Up 73% Completed
Level up: 73% Level up: 73% Level up: 73%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyoun012 View Post
I'm wondering if cleaning my Throttle Body just moved the gunk down into the IAC valve. I'm going to take it apart this weekend and try to clean it. I'm a rookie, so is there any advice out there so i don't it up?

The IAC valve is pretty difficult to get to and some on here I've seen say that it was easier to get to some of the bolts from the bottom .
Also might want to check for a cracked or split vacuum line too.
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month
Old 05-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
ligardner
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 32567
What I Drive: 02 Focus LX; 05 Focus ZX4; 02 Wago

FF Reputation: 1 ligardner Good Standing Member
I just went through the process of removing and cleaning a problem IAC valve, and then having to do it again three days later (!!) when the car developed a persistently high idle causing me to buy a new IAC valve.

The trick to removing w/o tearing off the intake manifold is to jack up the care fairly high so that you can reach up to where that little bugger sits crammed in nicely among other parts. there is just enogh room to get an 8mm ratcheting box wrench on the two little bolts holding the IAC on.

But the harder trick is fumbling with your new IAC to orient it so you can get these tiny bolts back in their holes. Just take a deep breath--you can do this. Its possible somebody with tiny hands could reach down to pin it in place while you search for the bolt holes. i did the replacement at 10:00 last night without a helper.

DEFINITELY take off your neg. battery cable and let the car sit for a while before you start it up.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
dperry
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97914
What I Drive: 2006 Light Tundra Metallic Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dperry Good Standing Member
I've tried cleaning my IAC valve twice with no luck, so I guess I'm wondering if I should just replace it to see if that fixes the problem. I just don't want to part with $100 or so just to get the same idle I currently have.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
wintrjr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98312
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX3 2.0

Points 8, Level 1
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 wintrjr Good Standing Member
An update on my high idle problem . . . after about 1.5 - 2 weeks my idle is now starting to return to normal. The RPMs are coming down quicker and coming down to 750. It appears to take time to return to normal and it is running much better now. I probably didn't need to replace my AIC valve . . . oh well.

I also had to replace my throttle cable this weekend ?!?!?! I've never heard of a throttle cable going bad. Mine frayed between the gas peddle and the firewall and wouldn't allow the throttle to return to idle. I limped it home, got the part (dealer part only $107) and replaced it in about 5 minutes. Back on the road.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #16
cyoun012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91345

FF Reputation: 1 cyoun012 Good Standing Member
bump. any results? i cleaned out throttle body and IAC. now it sounds worse, and the idling problem is the same. still popping the p0507 code. i'm going to replace iac valve this weekend. Do i really have to change out the gaskets for TB and IAC?
Old 12-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #17
Hoops
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 15163
FF Reputation: 1 Hoops Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Any updates to this issue? My 2005 is having this same issue after cleaning the throttle body. Currently throwing code po507 with high idle.
1994 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #18
wintrjr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98312
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX3 2.0

Points 8, Level 1
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Level Up 15% Completed
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 wintrjr Good Standing Member
OK, an update on my high idle. My car is back to normal and running great!!!! All I can say is that run time and mileage was what worked for my car . . . more time than I thought it would take.

On a side note, about a month ago, I came across a guy in a new V6 Camaro with a stick that was making his left hand turn so, so slow. When we straightened out I got in the right lane and started running my '06 ZX3 (111,000 miles BTW) thru the gears and the dude in the Camaro hit it at about the same time. Up to about 60 mph. I stayed right with him, about 1 car length behind . . . after that I started catching this Camaro. At about 95 mph I was along side of this guy, passing him and laughing uncontrollably. Now, I was running my little ZX3 pretty hard but so was the Camaro, I could really hear him hitting the gears and high RPMs. Now, I know that it was only a V6 but supposedly 310 horsepower and he was driving it good . . . . I'd have taken it back to the Chevy dealer and demanded my money back after getting beaten by a Focus. Needless to say . . . this was a fun day!!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
bones33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105414
What I Drive: '05 Silver ST

Points 354, Level 7
Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7 Points: 354, Level: 7
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 bones33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The aforementioned idle issues can also be caused by a thermostat stuck open. Happened just as described to me. The stock gauge reads normal and doesn't change from about 143* to at least 215* so it is not a good indicator of engine temperature. Mine ran from the 140s to the 180s erratically when the thermostat was stuck. It should normally operate at least 192* or so.

If you don't have a PCM reader (I use a scangauge) you can get a good idea if your thermostat is stuck open this way: If your heater is not as potent as it should be and you have idle issues, replace your thermostat. They are about $26 and though fiddly to change, not technically difficult. Small hands would be helpful but not required. I realistically spent about 3 hours doing it, but I'm kinda slow.

For me, after changing out the thermostat it cleared up the idle issues and I picked up about 3 mpg consistently over 3 tanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #20
RugbyDump
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 163946

FF Reputation: 1 RugbyDump Good Standing Member
High Idle Issue

Hello,

I am new here. Just got a 2005 Focus ST ZX4 yesterday. It has had the engine replaced with a junkyard motor with 100k on it. Car has 143 on the odometer.

Anyway, I am having the same issues described here with the high idle between shifts and for several seconds at redlights. When I was test driving the car, the CEL came on and it spit out a code for IAC. The seller owned a shop so he had AZ deliver one right away and without even installing it, I made the deal.

Put it on yesterday evening and now the idle is generally high. I say generally because it will occasionally actually drop so low in idle, when I first start it up, that it has actually died twice on me. But then it usually gets going and it hangs between shifts and for several seconds at red lights. I am now getting the P0507 code I think is what it was. Remember, this is after having just replaced the IAC valve.

I read the suggestion about the thermostat and I will definitely try one tomorrow. In the days ahead, I will be driving a lot more so if that proves to be the solution, all will be well. Thirdly, I know to check my throttle cable tomorrow as well. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much! I hope to be part of this group for a long time. Love my Focus!

Dump

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.