Cruise Control - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
FocusHero
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100491
What I Drive: 2003 Black Svt

Points 1,137, Level 18
Points: 1,137, Level: 18 Points: 1,137, Level: 18 Points: 1,137, Level: 18
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 FocusHero Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cruise Control

How do I know why my cruise control won't work on my svt focus do the switches have problems it could it be more than that

SVT or die!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

Points 11,415, Level 70
Points: 11,415, Level: 70 Points: 11,415, Level: 70 Points: 11,415, Level: 70
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
to FF

Search function is your friend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
I just had some issues with my CC and have sorted that out, but I found there is a really slick self diagnostic procedure for the cruise control. You don't need a diagnostic scanner to do this either, just the car. From what you describe I think the cruise control servo (motor with a spool of cable that controls the throttle body for CC) is bad, but this test will tell you for sure where the problem lies. This self diagnostic test will work on all Foci from 00-05, in addition to many other Ford models in those years.

The test is basically this: you're going to be turning the ignition key on and off repeatedly and then hitting the cruise control buttons quickly in a specific sequence, and then the cruise control light will blink repeatedly, and the number of blinks tells you where the fault is. It's easy to do once you get it sorted in your head and you won't mess anything up if you don't get it right the first time.

If it's a manual, don't depress the clutch. If it's an automatic leave it in park. First, turn the ignition to the accessory/run position but don't start it. Press and hold the CC off switch and then repeatedly turn the ignition from run to off and back to run again, you should do this 3 or 4 times. End this sequence with the ignition in the run position and then let go of the off switch, and you should see your CC light blink once, which means it's ready to run the self diagnostic. If it flashes 5 times at this point then it's a faulty speed control module, which is that servo I mentioned above. Quickly after the light blinks (like a second after), you then need to hit the other cruise control buttons in this order, and you will need to hit them fairly quickly for the test to proceed:

1. On
2. Resume
3. Coast
4. Set/accel

The CC light should blink once after each button you hit. Kind of take your time hitting the buttons and it's easier to keep track of the flashes, which is important at the end because you need to count the number of flashes that come after you hit "set". There won't be an immediate flash after you hit "set", there will be a slight delay, and then will come another short series of flashes. This next part is all verbatim (except for the parenthesis) from the Ford guide I'm translating here.

0 Flashes (no flash after last button is pushed): suspect circuitry or speed control steering wheel switches.
1 Flash: Static test passed (cruise control should work)
2 Flashes: BPP (brake pedal position) switch is damaged, circuit is damaged, or the brake or clutch pedal was applied during test.
3 Flashes: Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged.
4 Flashes: Indicates the speed signal circuit is open or damaged (wheel speed sensors, ETC)
5 Flashes: Suspect circuitry or module.

So I guess try to run the test. It's pretty quick and easy once your thumbs get the button sequence down. Then you should at least have a better idea where the problem is coming from. Post back here with results, I'm curious where the problem is for you. Mine was the brake deactivation switch which I'm putting in soon.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253080

Hope this helps and happy modding!
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

Points 6,225, Level 51
Points: 6,225, Level: 51 Points: 6,225, Level: 51 Points: 6,225, Level: 51
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Haha, just yesterday I replaced my steering wheel switches after running the above mentioned test, because it came back zero flashes. I performed the test 3 or 4 times to make sure my result was accurate. Goodluck and if I can help let me know, it was a 5 minute job, and that was with switching the internals from the new old buttons to the new buttons (one had perfect lettering, the other it was kind of rubbing off).
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
200two-zx3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 108491
What I Drive: 2002 blue zx3

FF Reputation: 2 200two-zx3 Good Standing Member
how do you change the switches my 02 zx3 is also acting up I was driving on freeway to go shopping used cruise on the way there, after shopping I tried to use it on the way home... nothing did the self check zero blinks all fuses are ok so im guessing its the switches or clock spring what confusing me is during the self check the light blinks after the buttons are pushed so wouldn't that mean its working, how do I change the switches exactly???

thanks for your help
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

Points 626, Level 12
Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12 Points: 626, Level: 12
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
SVT? does a SVT have a hatchback?

Then also think about a bad wiring umbilical going to the hatch

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.