A better understanding of the 2012 ATX - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105844
What I Drive: 2012 Diamond Tri Coat White SEL HB

FF Reputation: 1 84Camaro_L69 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes! That's it. You described it well. So its normal, for now, until its broken in? About how long is the breakin period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Rudel
FF's Quadriplegic!

Fan#: 13465
What I Drive: 2.3 ATX-RSVT

Points 9,909, Level 66
Points: 9,909, Level: 66 Points: 9,909, Level: 66 Points: 9,909, Level: 66
Level Up 65% Completed
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 15 Rudel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
So is it possible to upgrade the clutch if available and then upgrade the hp?

Part III: Install Handicap Driving Controls
Ma Cah: http://imgur.com/a/TuyYL
Old 11-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
Twitchboy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95777
What I Drive: 2012 metallic gray Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Twitchboy Good Standing Member
I got my car in February and already have 17,547 miles on her and I do no think that will go away even after its been broken in, plus these new engines usually arrive relatively well broken in when new so if it was suppose to go away it would have by now. So I am not sure if it will er go away due to its mechanical design. I think the only ting to do is work on the technique of how you accelerate from a stop , it just suchs when I'm in a drive thru and I forget about it and then when I hit the gas nothing happens, then 2 seconds later the car lunges forward along with all of my french fries lol
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

I found this MotorTrend article while doing some searching. It's a fix/reflash for the 2012/2013 manual/auto transmissions that eliminates the feeling of the manual in the automatic. I'm trying to get a hold of my local dealer service department, but it keeps going to voicemail.

"Starting in October, new transmission control code was rolled out quietly. There's no official recall or service campaign, but anybody who complains or requests an upgrade at the dealership can have their powertrain control computer re-flashed."

"... the changes smoothed his transmission's launch behavior noticeably and finally allowed it to creep up his sloped driveway and into the garage in reverse without his having to nervously dither the gas pedal as before."

"Sure enough, my Focus Titanium's six-speed PowerShift felt much more like a mainstream DSG at launch, creeping with feet off the pedals, and during shifts, and it now handles parallel parking maneuvers with no lurching. The behavior during "low-speed change-of-mind shifts" (when you jump off and back on the throttle) was still a bit jerky, but a further December software tweak (not reflected on my test car) is said to have addressed this, along with improvements to same-shaft downshifts (i.e. fourth to second gears)."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz2DRYAfdwr
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 1,766, Level 24
Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Does any of this address the horrible grinding that some owners are hearing, or is that a seperate issue that doesn't involve how the software manipulates the clutches?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #16
awsimons
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100921
What I Drive: Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 awsimons Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84Camaro_L69 View Post
I found this MotorTrend article while doing some searching. It's a fix/reflash for the 2012/2013 manual/auto transmissions that eliminates the feeling of the manual in the automatic. I'm trying to get a hold of my local dealer service department, but it keeps going to voicemail.

"Starting in October, new transmission control code was rolled out quietly. There's no official recall or service campaign, but anybody who complains or requests an upgrade at the dealership can have their powertrain control computer re-flashed."

"... the changes smoothed his transmission's launch behavior noticeably and finally allowed it to creep up his sloped driveway and into the garage in reverse without his having to nervously dither the gas pedal as before."

"Sure enough, my Focus Titanium's six-speed PowerShift felt much more like a mainstream DSG at launch, creeping with feet off the pedals, and during shifts, and it now handles parallel parking maneuvers with no lurching. The behavior during "low-speed change-of-mind shifts" (when you jump off and back on the throttle) was still a bit jerky, but a further December software tweak (not reflected on my test car) is said to have addressed this, along with improvements to same-shaft downshifts (i.e. fourth to second gears)."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/features/a...#ixzz2DRYAfdwr
This article is dated December 2011, so this would be referring to an update that came out a year ago.

Alan
Mods: Debadged, 30% LLumar CTX Tint, MS3 RMM, Steeda RSB
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

Points 4,926, Level 44
Points: 4,926, Level: 44 Points: 4,926, Level: 44 Points: 4,926, Level: 44
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
If they had upgrades to this transmission I'd consider it when the warranty nears experiation.

It's crazy looking at the insides of this transmission and how it works. But same with any other though. At least for me.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Wasn't that quiet as Ford send me literature telling me to come in for the reflash...
Old 12-01-2012, 03:17 AM   #19
84Camaro_L69
Focus Enthusiast

I figured I'd give an update. So even though mine was just bought last month (new) it had the old software loaded on it.

So after a few days of driving around town I can tell you that the manual tranny feel from a stop to 15mph is gone, and the car doesn't roll back on steep grade streets when the light changes or I leave from a complete stop. I hope that helps.

If I were a gambling man I'd say that it appears as if my car sat on the lot for a while (old leaves under the hood in cracks gave it away) the dealer didn't use initiative to check cars for software versions and reflash the 2012 cars. I can understand their point of view because most people probably wouldn't care and accept the odd behavior in the car.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,228, Level 100
Points: 50,228, Level: 100 Points: 50,228, Level: 100 Points: 50,228, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 39%
Activity: 39% Activity: 39% Activity: 39%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
After seeing inside a 2012 ATX I have a better understanding on how it all works

The 2012/2013 trans is best looked at like it has two gear boxes and 2 clutches , these 2 gearboxes work as one tho
One clutch controls the odd gears (and reverse) and one clutch controls the even gears then there is 2 input shafts (one inside another) one for one clutch and odd gear 1,3,5 and one for the even clutch and gears 2,4,6

It looks to me like the ECU activates the gear that coming next even before the clutch is in gauged which would allow for the smooth shifting , this is a very interesting set up and I cannot wait for tuning software to play with this more

This is new stuff for Ford but isnt new to the performance world or even hyper cars like the Bugatti Veyron which works off the same basic ideas

I think it will be a long time before there is a performance clutch for this car and it will be very very very very costly if there is one , I am going to send an extra one I have to a friend that builds clutches and see what he says

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus

Bookmarks & Social Networks