2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #151
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyherald View Post
2,000 miles now and no Trans issues. Guess it's broken in. I'm not too crazy about the shifter though. It needs lights on the console to show the shifter position.
Great news, Rockyherald! Feel free to share your shifter idea on http://social.ford.com. Post a link to your suggestion and we can all vote on it!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #152
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyherald View Post
2,000 miles now and no Trans issues. Guess it's broken in. I'm not too crazy about the shifter though. It needs lights on the console to show the shifter position.
I have that on our F-150. It's show 1 thru 6 right on the cluster panel.
I agree should be done on Focus as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #153
middie8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 45082
FF Reputation: 1 middie8 Good Standing Member
After reading through these posts, I have realized that my 2012 Focus also experiences this grinding noise and shutters during acceleration. It looks like it may need those parts replaced. I brought the car back to the dealer before to have a TSB PCM update done, it didn't seem to fix anything. I plan on dropping it off tomorrow at the Ford dealer to have it looked at and fixed.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #154
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Good luck, keep us posted. From my understanding they don't have a fix for that.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #155
fishin-nole
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99925
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 fishin-nole Good Standing Member
After the clutch and seal replacement 10 day's ago our's is grinding again. I noticed a slight shutter in reverse this past Sunday. I'm really not happy with this trans., I know the concept is used in hi-po cars so it should work on this platform.
1.71 60ft.
12.68@106
Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #156
Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin-nole View Post
After the clutch and seal replacement 10 day's ago our's is grinding again. I noticed a slight shutter in reverse this past Sunday. I'm really not happy with this trans., I know the concept is used in hi-po cars so it should work on this platform.
They actually did it to improve MPG, converter is not that efficient but smooth.
My MPG dropped dramatically after all this happened.
You hold off little longer, mine came back after 300 miles after clutch replacement. I gave up with repairs. I am just praying Ford will come up with new improved clutch to replace it.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #157
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
So, after reading through most of this post, I'm realizing that the grinding sound I keep hearing between 2nd and 3rd (after the transmission gets warm) is not in my head. Lol. I first started noticing this around 450 miles and it got really bad at 650 (it's more consistent now). I'm supposed to take it to the dealership I bought it from (150 miles away) Monday (12-3-12) to get looked at, and am hoping they don't tell me this is normal or some other line. Anyone have suggestions on what to tell them is going on? I suppose I could point them to this forum.

By the way, it's a 2013 titanium, with 705 miles as of right now.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #158
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Its normal , mine used to do it till 1000miles(1600km) than it got way less noticeable. A little bit once in a while is normal, they all do it specially after a long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
So, after reading through most of this post, I'm realizing that the grinding sound I keep hearing between 2nd and 3rd (after the transmission gets warm) is not in my head. Lol. I first started noticing this around 450 miles and it got really bad at 650 (it's more consistent now). I'm supposed to take it to the dealership I bought it from (150 miles away) Monday (12-3-12) to get looked at, and am hoping they don't tell me this is normal or some other line. Anyone have suggestions on what to tell them is going on? I suppose I could point them to this forum.

By the way, it's a 2013 titanium, with 705 miles as of right now.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #159
sdwcam01
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 106567
What I Drive: 2013 White Platinum Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 sdwcam01 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermax View Post
Its normal , mine used to do it till 1000miles(1600km) than it got way less noticeable. A little bit once in a while is normal, they all do it specially after a long drive.
Itís really normal, in any case, for a transmission to grind? I know I donít know a whole lot about cars, but any grinding sound coming from my whole powertrain is unacceptable; grinding = something breaking or wearing down. Itís funny to hear someone say this normal, as I work on helicopters and if I were to tell them a grinding sound in their gearboxes was normal, they would fire me, lol.

I need to add that it grinds for about 1-3 seconds on a slow take-off and about 1-2 on a fast take-off. When it is about to shift from second to third, it drops down to a lower RPM, feels like it is going to stall, and starts jerking the car back and forth (the rpms fluctuate as well about 500-100 rpms on the tachometer). When I take off quickly, it skips from second to whichever gear, but jerks VERY hard and produces a loud Ďclunk.í

I am going to drive it a bit more here in a little while, Iíll see if I notice anything else.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #160
InfinityCubed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95846
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Metallic SE-Sport

FF Reputation: 1 InfinityCubed Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwcam01 View Post
It’s really normal, in any case, for a transmission to grind? I know I don’t know a whole lot about cars, but any grinding sound coming from my whole powertrain is unacceptable; grinding = something breaking or wearing down. It’s funny to hear someone say this normal, as I work on helicopters and if I were to tell them a grinding sound in their gearboxes was normal, they would fire me, lol.

I need to add that it grinds for about 1-3 seconds on a slow take-off and about 1-2 on a fast take-off. When it is about to shift from second to third, it drops down to a lower RPM, feels like it is going to stall, and starts jerking the car back and forth (the rpms fluctuate as well about 500-100 rpms on the tachometer). When I take off quickly, it skips from second to whichever gear, but jerks VERY hard and produces a loud ‘clunk.’

I am going to drive it a bit more here in a little while, I’ll see if I notice anything else.
Welcome to the forums! Roughly 1/3 of the threads here are about the grinding noise and the fact that Ford has had almost two years to fix it and haven't.

Feel free to check out my previous posts for details, I'm filing my official complaint next week.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->